British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
rob miller

Swedish Team Name

Does anyone know what the following Swedish team names mean in English. 

Dackarna

Griparna

Gasarna

Valsarna

Gnistorna

Kaparna

Filbyterna

Gasarna

Valsarna

Many thanks,

Edited by rob miller

Does anyone know what the following Swedish team names mean in English. 

Visit the excellent Speedway FAQ website for this information.

Filbyterna

However, I see that list doesn't have any information about Filbyterna...

Folke Filbyter was believed to be the ancestor of the Folkunga family*, also mentioned as Bjälbo family, which ruled in Sweden from 1250-1363 by 5 different kings.

The city of Linköping has a statue of Folke Filbyter on the "Big Square" in the city centre.

(* To all Swedish forum members, is "family" the right word for the Swedish word of "ätt", could anyone confirm this?)

i have some additional info about that list

actually Getingarna means the Wasps and not the Bees.

and i would translate Gastarna with deckhand since seamen is a bit too general. Also gast could mean ghost.

Masarna is a nickname for people living in the province Dalarna (for those who doesn't know where the team is from)

Rospiggarna is a nickname fpr people living in the area called "Roslagen" which is the coastal areas of the Province Uppland.

Njudung is an old area in the province that today is known as Småland.

Then Småland is a province and not a county.

also Ulv(arna) is more of old Swedish for Varg (wolf) then a synonym and is not really used in the modern Swedish language.

Edited by Ghostwalker

i have some additional info about that list

actually Getingarna means the Wasps and not the Bees.

According to Rickard Hellsen, who had several years riding for Getingarna, it means Hornet

According to Rickard Hellsen, who had several years riding for Getingarna, it means Hornet

well no he is wrong :P : http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geting and then check the english article (Vespoidea) :P

Vespoidea is a superfamily of order Hymenoptera of class Insecta, although older taxonomic schemes may vary in this categorization, particularly in their recognition of a now-obsolete superfamily Scolioidea. The members of this group are wasps and ants.

Hornet is something else.

Edited by Ghostwalker

Folke Filbyter was believed to be the ancestor of the Folkunga family*, also mentioned as Bjälbo family, which ruled in Sweden from 1250-1363 by 5 different kings.

(* To all Swedish forum members, is "family" the right word for the Swedish word of "ätt", could anyone confirm this?)

His "nickname" Filbyter comes from the the name Fil for stallion and byter meant that this bloke was actually good biting off the balls of a stallion, could you even get a worse nickname?? :lol::lol:

Then the other thing ätt means more or less the same as the clans in scotland

His "nickname" Filbyter comes from the the name Fil for stallion and byter meant that this bloke was actually good biting off the balls of a stallion, could you even get a worse nickname?? :lol::lol:

Yeah, I read that when searching for information about him. He must have been a real nice guy back in the days... :D Awful nickname, as you say.

Then the other thing ätt means more or less the same as the clans in scotland

Definitely, "clan" is a much better word for it. Thanks!

Yeah, I read that when searching for information about him. He must have been a real nice guy back in the days... :D Awful nickname, as you say.

Definitely, "clan" is a much better word for it. Thanks!

yeah clan is a good translation. "House" could also be used as in Ätten Windsor/ House of Windsor

also Kinship could be used.