British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
LOL

Usa Speedway On Motors Tv Tonight

Although was interseting to see some different speedway,it highlights just why the USA is a second rate speedway nation at the moment.

After 1 Heat thought i would watch it tonight as didnt look very good... Now decided to abandon it altogether after these comments

Just been watching the american speedway on motors t.v, well its not as good as sky but its speedway, some of the heats were very tight. ...... i mean 5 riders on small track. Will watch the next one, but if that can be put on motors, lets get the t.v cameras to Scunny or Str or dragons, the racing would prob be as good.

Billy's crash in the Semi looked nasty, that was one of Billy's last meetings i think,who did the "camera" work baffles me!

The camera work was all done by the Americans i believe and put straight on to Motors TV. I agree the camera work was abit bad but still its speedway :D

Anyone got any opions of the pictures from the rider helmet cam?! maybe im going blind but all i could see was shadows!!!

I tuned in and watched the first broadcast of this series and I must admit that it certainly wasn't what was expected. I contacted the gentleman that shot the video and was informed that there was a problem converting American video standards to European video standards and that the problem was being promptly addressed.

With respect to the actual racing, there are obvious differences between British racing and American racing. First, the quality over here in America is not close to the British leagues just as the British leagues are not close to the Grand Prix series, or Poland for that matter. Another difference is the track size with Costa Mesa coming in around 180 yards. Fortunately, a track of that size does provide much closer racing and many more position changes.

One other thing that needs addressing is that not all of the riders at Costa Mesa were old guys with at least 2 or 3 of the participants being 16 years old.

I guess all I'm trying to say is that before folks try to destroy this telecast before it ever gets off the ground, give it a couple of weeks and let the folks putting the show work out the technical bugs and see if the product improves.

If you talk to anyone who has ever been to Costa Mesa and also saw the broadcast, I'm sure they will tell you that the true intimacy and essence of Costa Mesa wasn't even close to being captured.

I am a speedway fan pure and simple and while I, like most people, would rather watch a good Grand Prix any day, I love speedway in any form and have seen racing ranging from an impromptu get together out in the California desert to the crowning of a couple of world champions and whatever quality it is, it sure beats the hell out of watching just about anything else on the tube.

Billy's crash in the Semi looked nasty, that was one of Billy's last meetings i think,who did the "camera" work baffles me!

This was Billy's second to the last race. The following week he hit the wall at the exact same place and that was that for that.

Hopefully all the technical problems will be worked out by the time the second week comes into play. :wink:

Hopefully all the technical problems will be worked out by the time the second week comes into play. :wink:

Lets hope so!

I was really looking forward to this,but have to say after 4 races I couldn't watch anymore, camera quality was very poor and the chopping and changing of angles was annoying at best.

With the track being so small surely one camera could have filmed the whole race?

Think we should give this a chance,after all i remember when sky 1st started their speedway everyone reported about their strange camera angles,but everyone got used to it.sky soon got rid of the helmet cam which was rubbish and now everyone seems happy except for the commentry!!!!!The latter races at costa were no inch given into the 1st corner and i really enjoyed them.everyone seemed that they could win the final,its just a shame that the early races everyone saw were to say the least of mixed ability riders in the races and therefore were not good to watch.but i say again the last few races were ok and if they can show more of the class end of the racing i think people will get to enjoy it.

The first one was so dire I dleted it off Sky Plus after about 4 heats. the image was so bad, the cameras chopped sides every bend causing the viewer to wnder where the start line was. Just use one camera with the occassional cutaway is fine but every bend the camera "crossed the line" causing viewer problems.

I tuned in and watched the first broadcast of this series and I must admit that it certainly wasn't what was expected. I contacted the gentleman that shot the video and was informed that there was a problem converting American video standards to European video standards and that the problem was being promptly addressed.

With respect to the actual racing, there are obvious differences between British racing and American racing. First, the quality over here in America is not close to the British leagues just as the British leagues are not close to the Grand Prix series, or Poland for that matter. Another difference is the track size with Costa Mesa coming in around 180 yards. Fortunately, a track of that size does provide much closer racing and many more position changes.

One other thing that needs addressing is that not all of the riders at Costa Mesa were old guys with at least 2 or 3 of the participants being 16 years old.

I guess all I'm trying to say is that before folks try to destroy this telecast before it ever gets off the ground, give it a couple of weeks and let the folks putting the show work out the technical bugs and see if the product improves.

If you talk to anyone who has ever been to Costa Mesa and also saw the broadcast, I'm sure they will tell you that the true intimacy and essence of Costa Mesa wasn't even close to being captured.

I am a speedway fan pure and simple and while I, like most people, would rather watch a good Grand Prix any day, I love speedway in any form and have seen racing ranging from an impromptu get together out in the California desert to the crowning of a couple of world champions and whatever quality it is, it sure beats the hell out of watching just about anything else on the tube.

I watched some of the repeat and three things stuck out:

1) The intrusive Graphics - far too big

2) The poor quality of the footage - which you appear to have addressed in your comment Steve

3) The point my wife and I both agreed - it looks bigger on the TV. Having been to Costa Mesa (albeit 20 years ago) it is a much more intimate track than the coverage suggests.

I'll give it a couple of shows but if the footage doesn't improve I'm afraid I'll be giving it a miss.

Footnote: It did look a bit better on a smaller screen!

One thing I will remind people is that American Speedway is different in the way the format of racing is. You see all the three divisions on the same program.So you are going to see the lower division riders first on the program. So you should give it atleast 5 or 6 heats so the fast guys can get on.Or shall i say the top division on the night.

Edited by TMGracing