British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

Dennis Day

Dennis Day always seemed a buddy of Len Silver-I think rode with him at Exeter in 62, then for him at Hackney in 64(I think) -a bald guy, well known in PL-anyone know what happened to Dennis??Any memories of him??

i was talking to len end of last season and we were talking about dennis and the rest of the team of 62/63 i am sure he said dennis was still o/k not so for most of the others i was 2nd half at the time i have allways wondered what happend to bob innocent who was there also any one know graham locke

Thanx bostonfive-glad Dennis is ok-you also said"not so for most of the others" you talked with Len about-can you add further details as I recall most of the 62/63 gang.

hi bob looking @exeter v newcross prog may 6th 1963

exeter

l silver

d day

h byford

a cowland

c cox

f cann

p flanagan

new cross

r reeves

g penniket

b dugard

d lukehurst

j squibb

e reeves

2nd half ist race

g bailey

p flanagan

b innocent

g locke

p selley

2nd race

g pennikett

e reeves

s stevens

g summers

b wiffen

i know h byford,a cowland,c cox j squibb are no longer with us

l silver d day b wiffen g locke all o/k anybody know the about the others, bob are you from poole ? regards graham

Thanx Graham-no I am not from Poole(didn't pass the medical).Grew up in Cardiff -supported Newport 64-68, moved to Nottingham and supported Long Eaton 65-67, and Leicester 68-then became part of the British diaspora and emigrated-visited Poole on a few occasions tho-wonderful track and atmosphere-I recall the colored lights over the track.First visit to Poole was WC British Semi-Final in 65.Great meeting where Gordon Guasco upset Barry Briggs in his first ride-great meeting indeed-I am looking at the program now-it was July 28th 1965.I'd hitch hiked down from Long Eaton with Ian Terrar(later Newport second halfer),(Newport were at Long Eaton the previous evening and had won 32-46) a speedway fan (who was at the LE meeting) from London gave us a lift to London I recall-can't remember his name but he was at 64 WF in Sweden and was in the picture of the crowd in the SS, wearing a white raincoat(like the sort the guy in the ads for Strand cigarettes wore on TV) does anybody in forumland know the guy??I owe him a beer! Didn't think of how to get home of course. So Ian and I went to the railway station waiting room to try and sleep overnite-there were 3 speedway fans from Newcastle there-(who unlike us had train fare home)-had a good chat to them-are any of them on forumland??. Ian and I got kicked out eventually when the station closed, wandered the streets found an empty house and bunked down there like a couple of tramps-very cold.The things we did for speedway eh!!Thanx also for your stats on 62/63 Graham.

Follow up to previous note-Vic White says Plunkett(Geoff Penniket) is still with us-a great favorite at Newport as indeed was Vic!!

exeter

h byford

a cowland

c cox

f cann

new cross

r reeves

j squibb

I'm certain these have all passed away. Not sure about Pat Flanagan, he'd be 83 if still about.

I remember a funny story about Dennis (Day). After a meeting, in the changing room, for some reason Len (Silver) had changed earlier than the rest and was dressing as Dennis was still in the shower. Picking up his kitbag, as Dennis came out donned in towel, Len without looking round, shouted at the top of his voice "I,ll see you in the bar Den" Dennis, now standing right behind him, leaned forward and shouted in his ear "Right Oh". Len nearly jumped out of his skin, much to the amusement of all. :lol: Funny how little things stick in ya memory ay!

Thanx yesterdayaman-nice story-you are right its amazing what sticks in your mind.

Hi Bob, Saw Ian Terrar yesterday, wanted your detais, so have PM'd you his fone no, Hes still an active guy ,still got long hair , just like in the Newport Wasps foto.

Hi Bob, Saw Ian Terrar yesterday, wanted your detais, so have PM'd you his fone no, Hes still an active guy ,still got long hair , just like in the Newport Wasps foto.