British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Deano

Question About The Year Sam Ermolenko Was World Champ

If my memory serves me correctly, when Sam Ermolenko became world champion, he said in an interview for the Speedway Star he wished to participate in match races. This was to race the highest home scorer at every track including Division two tracks over the following season, to help bring bodies through the turnstiles.

Did he ever complete this feat? If not did it ever get off the ground? Did he win them all or some?

I can't remember him doing it which is why I'm asking.

If my memory serves me correctly, when Sam Ermolenko became world champion, he said in an interview for the Speedway Star he wished to participate in match races. This was to race the highest home scorer at every track including Division two tracks over the following season, to help bring bodies through the turnstiles.

Did he ever complete this feat? If not did it ever get off the ground? Did he win them all or some?

I can't remember him doing it which is why I'm asking.

To my knowledge, it never happened, he did talk about doing some match races to showcase himself as the World Champion, but due to a late season injury at the end of '93 and his schedule in '94, I don't think it ever happened, which is a shame, would be an interesting experiment.

I don't recall that ever coming off either. It would have been interesting from an advertising/promotion point of view, but of course he'd have wiped the floor with a lot and it wouldn't have been much of a race against some. It was a nice idea, and good to see a world champion looking at the big picture.

Cheers gents... I had a feeling I wasn't going nuts and he did discuss it. Shame it never happened.

Sam wanted to tour the tracks of England to help promote the sport but you may recall he broke his leg shortly after winning the world title and this put him on the sidelines and with Ronnie Correy and others out, Belle Vue took the title on the final race of the season.

Si in short, this never came off due to a broken leg more than anything else.