British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ashie Smashy

Nicholls And Harris

If Manuel Almunia's soon going to have lived here long enough as Arsenal's goalkeeper to qualify for England instead of Spain, how much longer do some of our Elite League foreigners have to stay here to qualify for a British wildcard from IMG if there aren't enough Danish, Swedish or Polish wildcards to go round ? :blink:

Nicholls is finished. He made the worst decision of his career so far in dropping Britain from his schedule, which was the only one out of the trio he's consistently performed any good in! He's making himself a laughing stock in the grand prixs and TBH, if he doesn't make the Top 8 this year, which is looking an almost nailed on certainty, I hope that he sticks to his word and won't accept a wildcard invite. He doesn't deserve to be in the GB squad for the WTC but Lyon has already appointed him captain :neutral:

At least Harris gives it 100% every time, even if he doesn't always get the scores to match it, be it Grand Prix or league racing. Nicholls had his best chance of winning a grand prix last year at Cardiff, but as usual, he bottled it in true fashion that only a British rider could do.

Edited by chris26

Still nobody has answered my question: if it is the right decision by some riders, Crump and Pedersen included, to give up riding in the UK in order to concentrate on riding in the GP circus, why was it wrong for Nicholls? :blink:

I think it was wrong for Nicholls, although I can understand why he did it to a degree.

Scott has always been a slow starter in the seasons, and has missed 10(ish) meetings by not having a Elite League team. The elite league is also the league he performs best in and therefore he will not have the extra cnonfidence this would bring.

Chris26 as for your post, you must be joking. Scott is most certainly not finished, yes he's started poorly (possibly worse than ever) but I have no doubt he will pick up.

As for him not deserving the british captaincy. Why not? He has been one of the best brits in the last few years, and I rate him as one of the best team-men and Captains I have ever seen. In Scotts 3 years as Captain at Coventry we won 2 leagues and 2 knockout cups, and a lot of it was down to Scotts captaincy. Who do you suggest would do a better job?

if it is the right decision by some riders, Crump and Pedersen included, to give up riding in the UK in order to concentrate on riding in the GP circus, why was it wrong for Nicholls? :blink:

The statistics prove it Andy, Britain is where he performed best (out of the trio of UK, Poland and Sweden), the stats don't lie.

Chris26 as for your post, you must be joking. Scott is most certainly not finished, yes he's started poorly (possibly worse than ever) but I have no doubt he will pick up.

As for him not deserving the british captaincy. Why not? He has been one of the best brits in the last few years, and I rate him as one of the best team-men and Captains I have ever seen. In Scotts 3 years as Captain at Coventry we won 2 leagues and 2 knockout cups, and a lot of it was down to Scotts captaincy. Who do you suggest would do a better job?

no bert, I'm not joking. Your kidding yourself surely that he'll pick up? Everyone every year sits here saying the same thing "don't worry if Nicholls is crap in the first four rounds, Cardiff will see him back to his best." But one round doesn't make a championship?

well, unlike yourself who has made a judgement already and automatically assume that Nicholls will turn things around, I'll wait and see how things go. Come World Cup, I may well be saying Scott is the right man to lead GB at the World Cup, but right now, all is not well with Scott and he seriously needs to buck his ideas up.....

actually tbf Chris Andy asked 'why was it wrong for Nicholls?' ............ i'm not sure your reply actually 'replies' to that

Andy it wasnt wrong for Scott as 'home league' means nothing .... ask Jason how his 'home league' is .......... a combination of the agendas and finances of the top leagues in GB, Sweden and Poland has meant that it is a free for all for everyone........... if you are going to score the points and you are our free asset then welcome in!

The statistics don't lie Chris but to be quite honest what has that got to do with it? Scott wanted to try something different and was only following in the footsteps of the majority of the top 8........... riding twice a week with a very well mapped out schedule is very different to globe trotting in a van on a nutso ad hoc basis because the EL wants to have 4 race nights............................ I am quite certain that Scott had decided that his form in Poland and Sweden shouldnt be any different to his form in Britain if he filled those baskets with more apples

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pte...Op1TkA6gHtwBfNw

please also take this spreadsheet of statistics (which dont lie) for Scott in the GP's between 05 and the 4th GP of last season....... im sure you can fill in the blanks for the rest of the GPs last season.................................... it clearly shows that Scott had suffered not only a painful time of regularly being on the cusp of the semis ...ie just missing out or making it with a bad gate....................... but that he has also been in a slight gradual decline for 5 or 6 years now........... I do not blame him at all for making big changes in an attempt to change his fortunes and snap out of his spiral

and for the record beesboybert is on the money with Scott's usual change of fortunes the longer a season goes on..... in the GP's anyway

I'll be honest the thing that has most confused me on this forum recently has been this bile aimed towards the guy for not riding here and the funny thing is that it is mostly those who liked to have a dig about him when he was here who are doing it.......... and as I have said elsewhere they are also generally posters who have supported the flooding of our 'home league' with imported riders.... go figure

Still not convinced. If the theory goes that giving up a league, could be any league, allows riders to concentrate efforts better on the GP circus, as many riders have done with what we will assume is some success, why does everybody still insist it was the worst possible thing Scott could have done? Nothing to do with results, just a simple question - why is Scott Nicholls different such that we believe the policy to be appropriate for some riders but not for him?

Listening to the answers so far I think Spook is right that most people are still aggrieved about his giving up his domestic league.

I feel for Scott as the guy has made a genuine attempt to better himself. He's had an awful start to the season and inevitably people are going to use missing the Elite as the reason. The guy's confidence is obviously shot to pieces and I would say he is probably feeling quite low at the moment. I think it says a lot about the character of the man that he is willing to keep fighting and not take the easy route out by quitting.

Unfortunately, there seems to be a few people who want to wallow in his misery and want him to fail so they can say I told you so. In other words, kicking him whilst he's down.

This is not an "I love Scotty" post, to be honest I don't really have a favourite rider. I would feel sorry for anybody who has made attempts to better themselves, their career or family life and have it go wrong. My instinct is to help people when they are down, not be cowardly and stick the boot in.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. If you believe Scott is not good enough for the GP's, fine, say so by all means, but why the unecessary remarks like - he's an embarrassment, I was embarrassed to watch him etc. He's the one going through the turmoil and feeling the pain, not to mention the expense, so to make those kind of remarks says more about the person making them than it does Scott.

On a different thread, I said I felt Bomber wasn't up to GP standard. I didn't however, make any nasty or spiteful remarks about him. I would love to be wrong! I'd quite happily come back on here and admit I was wrong! I certainly won't come on here if he has a bad meeting to gloat.

I keep seeing remarks such as - he shouldn't be in the WC squad, he shouldn't be captian, he shouldn't be allowed to compete in the British Champs etc - but I haven't seen a single reason as to why! I've seen "he's turned his back on Britain" spouted a few times but I cannot understand what that is supposed to mean. Do people think he owes us all something?

Every one of us has the freedom to choose our career path and if any of us want to better ourselves or be with our families more or whatever, we can do so. Please someone explain why he should be any different because I cannot understand why.

I feel for Scott as the guy has made a genuine attempt to better himself. He's had an awful start to the season and inevitably people are going to use missing the Elite as the reason. The guy's confidence is obviously shot to pieces and I would say he is probably feeling quite low at the moment. I think it says a lot about the character of the man that he is willing to keep fighting and not take the easy route out by quitting.

Unfortunately, there seems to be a few people who want to wallow in his misery and want him to fail so they can say I told you so. In other words, kicking him whilst he's down.

This is not an "I love Scotty" post, to be honest I don't really have a favourite rider. I would feel sorry for anybody who has made attempts to better themselves, their career or family life and have it go wrong. My instinct is to help people when they are down, not be cowardly and stick the boot in.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. If you believe Scott is not good enough for the GP's, fine, say so by all means, but why the unecessary remarks like - he's an embarrassment, I was embarrassed to watch him etc. He's the one going through the turmoil and feeling the pain, not to mention the expense, so to make those kind of remarks says more about the person making them than it does Scott.

On a different thread, I said I felt Bomber wasn't up to GP standard. I didn't however, make any nasty or spiteful remarks about him. I would love to be wrong! I'd quite happily come back on here and admit I was wrong! I certainly won't come on here if he has a bad meeting to gloat.

I keep seeing remarks such as - he shouldn't be in the WC squad, he shouldn't be captian, he shouldn't be allowed to compete in the British Champs etc - but I haven't seen a single reason as to why! I've seen "he's turned his back on Britain" spouted a few times but I cannot understand what that is supposed to mean. Do people think he owes us all something?

Every one of us has the freedom to choose our career path and if any of us want to better ourselves or be with our families more or whatever, we can do so. Please someone explain why he should be any different because I cannot understand why.

I agree with you the poor guy is trying something different and its just not working for him at the moment .. But lets not forget it's only been two GP's and i believe he will prove himself . HE BRITISH CHAMPION

I agree with you the poor guy is trying something different and its just not working for him at the moment .. But lets not forget it's only been two GP's and i believe he will prove himself . HE BRITISH CHAMPION

Ah bless his little heart. What will he prove himself as exactly? What would be a sucessfull season for Scott?

Spot on. Well said sir!

Ah bless his little heart. What will he prove himself as exactly? What would be a sucessfull season for Scott?

I don't think it really matters does it Blaze? Only he knows what a sucessful season will be for him and as for proving himself, he doesn't need to prove himself to you or me.

Let's face it, no matter what he does, some people will jump on every miserable time that he has because some like having a pop at easy targets. Very brave.

I don't think it really matters does it Blaze? Only he knows what a sucessful season will be for him and as for proving himself, he doesn't need to prove himself to you or me.

Let's face it, no matter what he does, some people will jump on every miserable time that he has because some like having a pop at easy targets. Very brave.

Or perhaps people are sick of him being a serial failure? He has done nothing to justify his selection for this years GP and in fact looks like he is getting worse. I actually like Scott he is a decent bloke and I would love it if he was challenging and winning GP's but sadly that aint gonna happen. He has opened himself up to criticsm by accepting chance after chance then failing to deliver.

I always thought being british ment supporting the brits not the danes or the aussies the brits ... the guy made a mistake not riding england but his reasons any family person and professional can understand nobodys perfect ... IF scott so bad why is he BRITISH CHAMPION and what does that say about the rest of the brits ... there still 9 GP's left be early to be righting him off isnt it ...

I always thought being british ment supporting the brits not the danes or the aussies the brits ... the guy made a mistake not riding england but his reasons any family person and professional can understand nobodys perfect ... IF scott so bad why is he BRITISH CHAMPION and what does that say about the rest of the brits ... there still 9 GP's left be early to be righting him off isnt it ...

How about Scott Nicholls supporting his home league,which he isnt,maybe then he might get a bit more backing.Its this I dont need EL speedway attitude thats getting many peoples back up and also the clear evidence on the first two GPs that his decision has back fired big time a continue to do so.

The reason why Nicholls is British Champ,well it might just be that he is the best of a not very good bunch.