British Speedway Forum
Ross Garrigan

Eric Williams

Eric Williams was admitted to hospital this morning. He has been unwell for quite some time and has been battling his illness with the same spirt he demonstrated when racing on the speedway track.

Should anyone want to send Eric a message, I can get it to him. My email address is rjgarrigan@ozemail.com.au

I should get some more news on his condition during the next 12 hours.

Hope Eric recovers Ross from this latest setback with his illness. He is a fighter for sure, I am sure all of us wish him well at this time.

Eric Williams - The Seventeenth Collection - The Great Adventure of 1952/3 by Ross Garrigan can be read:

Here

Hope Eric recovers Ross from this latest setback with his illness. He is a fighter for sure, I am sure all of us wish him well at this time.

Eric Williams - The Seventeenth Collection - The Great Adventure of 1952/3 by Ross Garrigan can be read:

Here

Yes Jim, Eric is a tough character. The number of messages I have received from Eric's "speedway family" as he calls them has surprised me. A lot of the messages are from people who have grown to love Eric through reading about his adventurous life. I have forwarded all the messages to Jenny who will print them out and take them to Eric today.

That Seventeenth Collection of his stories you mention is the first of two collections dealing with what was one of the highlights of Eric's life, his trip to New Zealand as a member of the England touring team. What happened while he was there had a profound affect on his life.

Here

That,s a great story Jim, and best wishes to Eric for a speedy recovery from Perth, Western Aus!!

Below is a copy of the email I have just sent out to over 30 of Eric's "speedway family" as he calls them: -

What terrific news I have just received. I will copy and paste the entire email from Jenny. Jenny really deserves a medal. Her family have been just wonderful to Eric.

Ross.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Ross,

Have just this minute returned from visiting the "Little Welshman." He was absolutely delighted with all the wonderful e-mails & best wishes he's been receiving & feels very humbled & thrilled with his adoring publics' kindness.

Rob has him on a new treatment regime - quite what I am not certain, but he is feeling & looking a good deal brighter. I took him a bottle of 12 year old single malt whiskey yesterday & he even managed to partake of a wee dram with the good doctor - medicinal purposes only of course :-).His nausea & vomiting seems to have settled as well & he is able to eat a little which will help him regain a little strength.

The nurses all love him & make such a fuss of him which he absolutely loathes of course & now they are all giving as good as he gives. A very entertaining spectacle let me tell you!!!

He is thrilled with the 18th & can't wait to see what photos you'll come up with.I think that means you have the green light to proceed. His comment on your 19 jottings are as follows "Ross, this is delightful entertainment, it's no wonder Freddie Rogers doubts my involvement."

Keep up the great work Ross & keep those e-mails of encouragement rolling in!!!

Kind regards

Jenny

How old is Eric now and where does he live Ross-so sorry to hear this.

How old is Eric now and where does he live Ross-so sorry to hear this.

William Eric Williams was born on November 17, 1927. He resides in Mackay here in Queensland.

I have put section of the email I received from Mackay yesterday on The Speedway History Forum in Eric's section on the Post War board. It makes sad reading.

Eric didn't want people to know how ill he has been for quite some time. It has been one of the great pleasures of my life to know Eric and to work with him on his memoirs. I am compiling and forwarding to Mackay daily the messages coming in for Eric from his many friends and the readers of his wonderful stories. Should anyone wish to send Eric a message, my email address is rjgarrigan@ozemail.com.au

Edited by Ross Garrigan

Should anyone be interested, the Eighteenth Collection of Eric's stories has now been added to Eric's own sub board in the Post War section of the Speedway History Forum.

Also, in Eric's section on the main Post War board is an item posted by one of Eric's old friends from New Zealand. Bill decided he would put his memories of Eric into print and share them with others. The item is not long and Eric himself loved the content.

http://speedwayhistory.proboards67.com/index.cgi