British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
speedyguy

The Laurels

The London Cup (for London team contests) was for the "London Evening News Trophy" and the National Trophy (for all teams) was for the Daily Mail Trophy. I was informed that these were held at Wembley when they were last stored away. I was also informed the National Trophy had been recalled by the Daily Mail & they now had that trophy stored away in case of it being needed in the future.

QUOTE (Robbie B @ Jun 4 2009, 01:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The full list of Laurels winners are (riders in BOLD were Wimbledon riders at the time of winning the title)

1968 Barry Briggs

1969 Trevor Hedge

1970 Ray Wilson

1971 Ole Olsen

1972 Ole Olsen

1973 Ole Olsen

1974 Dave Jessup

1975 Tommy Jansson

1976 Martin Ashby

1977 Colin Richardson

1978 John Davis

1979 Bruce Penhall

1980 Larry Ross

1981 John Davis

1982 Malcolmm Simmons

1983 Hans Nielsen

1984 not held

1985 Neil Middleditch

1986 Nigel Sparshott

1987 Dave Mullett

1988 Steve Schofield

1989 Todd Wiltshire

1990 not held

1991 Hans Nielsen

I witnessed some great Laurels meeting in the past.

Think I saw just about every one of those Laurels meeting held from 1968 to 1991 and well remember that latter one in particular for, somewhat coincidentally, sorting out some of all the piles of stuff I've got here this morning, l have in front of me a copy of "The Dons Digest Vol 1 No.1" that was produced for that night which opened the 1991 season.

Edited by Bryn

QUOTE (Robbie B @ Jun 6 2009, 04:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Spring Classic winners

1981 Dave Jessup & Ole Olsen

Ole Olsen, appealed against referee Mel Price's decsion to disqualify him from heat 12 for alleged use of a new tyre. Olsen's three points had been deducted from his score and the riders placed behind him, Gordon Kennett, Bo Petersen and Billy Sanders all advanced one place in the heat result. The Speedway Control Board Tribunal considered Olsen's appeal on May 26 and upheld his protest ordering that the original heat 12 result should stand. Consequently causing Dave Jessup and Ole Olsen to finsh level on points. Olsen waived any claim to the additionmal prize monies he should have won.

i put some of the tv footage of the arguing that went on with that on youtube

i put some of the tv footage of the arguing that went on with that on youtube

It makes interesting veiwing, many thanks for that. Do you any footage of the '76 Spring Classic to put on YouTube ? would love to put a link to some, for my website at www.wimbledonspeedway1976.com