British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
carlisle_comet

Acadamy League

What ever happened to this, was great to see the young lads getting a chance home and away.

Well although there may not be an 'official' league, Academy fixtures are taking place.

Mildenhall have a team and have ridden against Kings Lynn and Rye House this season already, also I have seen a Scunthorpe side race against Kings Lynn.

Didn't know that but very good to hear, in my opinion this should be focus of the speedway authorities as a first competative base for developing young talent. Workington used to have the Northside stars, i'll ask the question at workington.

Birmingham, scunny, coventry, rye house and kings lynn all have academy teams but apart from when they ride each other there isn t any like birmingham were supose to race workington and newcastle after pl meetings but the home teams cancelled due to having no teams.

Newport Mavericks are looking to run Academy matches as much as possible and will hopefully be sending a side to Mildenhall on June 21st.

Birmingham, scunny, coventry, rye house and kings lynn all have academy teams but apart from when they ride each other there isn t any like birmingham were supose to race workington and newcastle after pl meetings but the home teams cancelled due to having no teams.

shame about the cancellations, i'm sure the comets could get a team together

Most teams could put a side together but i do not think the public appreciates the huge cost involved to the families of these youngsters ..Many just cant afford to travel the long distances involved...AND THEY RECIEVE NO PAY MENT FOR PROVIDING SECOND HALF ENTERTAINMENT...//And the cost of maintaining a Speedway Bike would frighten you to death //...

berwick v sheffield has already taken place and berwick are going down for the return match i also belive glasgow has a junior team but im led to belive that nobody wants to travel up probelly due to cost of travel surely 4 bikes and tools etc could be dived up between the big team to help these lads travel to matches

Dandy your right it would help but most senior riders don t want to know weather its they forgot how hard it was for them or they think I had to struggle so should they. I wish I had the answer but I will say that we are starting to get meetings now on friday and monday just gone we had a cov v belle vue home and away and they were good matches there s also one tomorrow at sheffield v scunny. MY POSTING DOESN T INCLUDE ALL PRO RIDERS

Waco I know how dedicated you are from yr posts on the Rye forum. Is it yr son who rides?It would be really revealing if you could give an insight into the costs etc involved and how much promotions get involved in training etc.

Well Rockets my lad rides but we buy the best gear but just to give you a starting point and bike thats ok to ride on will cost about 1500 to 2000 then theres fuel at £8, your oil is anthing from £5 to £10 plus fuel for the car or van and thats if nothing goes wrong

Waco I know how dedicated you are from yr posts on the Rye forum. Is it yr son who rides?It would be really revealing if you could give an insight into the costs etc involved and how much promotions get involved in training etc.

Engine rebuilds after a blow up can cost up to £9oo .We are talking a few thousand pounds over a season..Promotions such as Rye House ..scunthorpe are very keen to bring on youngsters .And there are the Amateur clubs ,,Southern track riders....The Dragons club...Who run at tracks like Rye house ... Kings lynn..Sittingbourne in kent ...Newport ,..exct..Who cater for all age groups,, and abilities...

I'll be visiting the UK with my Son for a few weeks in late August. We hope to ride in a few Acadamy events as well as amateur and second half stuff at various tracks. Be great to catch up with parents and kids at some of the tracks.

My lad rode second halves and training tacks for a period of 19 months from beginning of 2006 into 2007 which was Armadale - Friday night, Redcar or Northside - all day Saturday then Berwick on a Saturday night every week and it cost me best part of £14,000 over the 19 months and that wasn't including what his sponsers gave him!!!, this included running 2 bikes (125cc's mind) training track cost's and fuel for the van, and he decided to pack it in to play football.

If you could calculate the cost of time then try put a price on getting bikes ready all day thursday, out the house Friday 4pm -11.30pm, up at 4.30am on the saturday and getting home at midnight saturday night and add it to the 14k already spent!

Fuel has also gone up in recent times so dread to think what it would be costing me now

Hope this helps with the insight your looking for

<!--quoteo(post=1515052:date=Jun 10 2009, 10:03 AM:name=771neil)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (771neil @ Jun 10 2009, 10:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1515052"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Birmingham, scunny, coventry, rye house and kings lynn all have academy teams but apart from when they ride each other there isn t any like birmingham were supose to race workington and newcastle after pl meetings but the home teams cancelled due to having no teams.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

workington did have a junior team untill denham chased them all so they had to sell up !!