British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TonyMac

Americans In British Speedway (1970-90)

In the next issue of Backtrack, we are putting the Americans in the spotlight with in-depth features and analysis on those colourful characters who lit up British Speedway in the 70s and 80s. Especially for the ladies, I promise a full colour pic of 'Juicy Brucie' in nothing but swimming shorts on the beach while clutching a surf board!

Seriously, with your help, we would also like to compile a readers' poll to find the Most Popular American to have ridden in the BL in the Backtrack years between 1970 and 1990 inc. Your evaluation must be based strictly on that period only.

NOT necessarily the best rider (Bruce Penhall would surely win that) or even the most successful, but the most POPULAR. The rider you liked most, or who gave you most entertainment. I guess many votes will be determined by geography (can't see Sheffield fans voting for anyone beyond Shawn or Kelly Moran or the Wolves lot seeing past Sudden Sam), but try and be as objective as poss.

Remember the 1970-90 time-frame, which makes it difficult to include Hancock and Hamill, as they only just sneak in on that basis and obviously rode in the BL much less (at that time) than the 35-40 something Californians who came before them.

To make it more interesting, please name your THREE MOST POPULAR in your 1-2-3 order.

One person, one vote, please...

Our poll closes one week from now. Result will be published in the next Backtrack (Issue 32). Thanks for your co-operation.

I'll get the ball rolling:

1. Bruce Penhall

2. Kelly Moran

3. Sam Ermolenko

1. Shawn Moran

2. Kelly Moran

3. Dennis Sigalos

1 John Cook

2 Denny Pyeatt

3 Denis Sigalos

Well I would say this I suppose but....

1 Sam Ermolenko

2 Ronnie Correy

3 Kelly Moran

I wish i could have more than 3 as I would also say Shawn McConnell, Scott Autrey, Steve Gresham and Shawn Moran. I've always been a big US speedway fan so find it hard to pick! :wink::lol:

Timmy Jo Sheppherd - no luck with Hackney in the mid-1970s.

Failed in the UK in 1970s, then went on to win the US Open Championship and, I think, the Indianna State Championship. He had a good reputation on the USA's East Coast and in Canada going on into the early 1990s. Probably came too early in his career to the UK, as maybe Ricky Wells may have done.

Edited by speedyguy

1. Scott Autrey

2. Bruce Penhall

and

3. Sumner McKnight - bizarre choice I have to admit, but when he pitched up at Swindon back in '73 he certainly made quite an impression on me and my chums.....colourful leathers, colourful bikes, fantastic sideburns...........oh, how we wanted him not to come last in darn near every race he had in the Robins racejacket! He deserves one vote for all that effort.

I have it like this

1/ Kelly Moran

2/ Dennis Sigalos

3/Bobby Schwartz

Incidentally would like to see an article on Dennis Siagalos, if it hasn't already been done.