British Speedway Forum
speedyguy

Sunday Amateur Dirt Track League

I'm not sure if he rode in the league in 1938. In 1936 however, Arthur Warwick set up a training school at Dagenham and instituted a Silver Cup for the best novice of the season. This was raced for every week with points being accumulated each week. Roy Duke came second to Frank Hodgson in this.

In 1939, the Speedway News published a list of riders who had been "discovered" at Dagenham. He does not feature on that list, which was:

Frank Hodgson, Doug Wells, Jim Baylais, Nobby Stock, Malcolm Craven, Alan Smith, Eric French, Dick Harris, Crusty Pye, Dick Geary, Aussie Powell, Ernie Pawson, Fred Tuck, Jim Boyd, Alf Kain, Benny King, Alex Gray and George Craig.

Roy Duke as he had the honour of winning the first ever race at Dagenham and the first meeting at Cowley, but he rode for the Dagenham team in 1936. As he was known as the 'The Duke of Dagenham' at one time I'm surprised he wasn't included in that list, and neither is Charlie Challis.

Edited by miro

I wonder if that is Alf Kaines who went on to ride for Southampton post-war.

I think it probably is because the article does mention that he is "now at Southampton"

Roy Duke as he had the honour of winning the first ever race at Dagenham and the first meeting at Cowley, but he rode for the Dagenham team in 1936. As he was known as the 'The Duke of Dagenham' at one time I'm surprised he wasn't included in that list, and neither is Charlie Challis.

Yes, it does seem a bit surprising he was left out, especially as he did come second in the 1936 Silver Cup. I believe he was the only ever-present in Yarmouth's team in 1948 as well. Yes, and Challis too. I'm not sure if he rode for Dagenham in 1938. He certainly rode for them in 1936 (in friendlies).

Edited by norbold

Homes of British Speedway mentions that 2 riders were killed during training sessions that season at dagenham.Harry Rogers and David Jackson.Presumably home riders?

Harry Rogers, who was indeed a local youngster, died on 19 May during a special evening meeting (Dagenham normally raced in the afternoon). I think it unlikely he would actually have been in the Dagnenham team. At the time he died the Daggers had only ridden two league matches.

I don't know about David Jackson

I think it probably is because the article does mention that he is "now at Southampton"

Yes, it does seem a bit surprising he was left out, especially as he did come second in the 1936 Silver Cup. I believe he was the only ever-present in Yarmouth's team in 1948 as well. Yes, and Challis too. I'm not sure if he rode for Dagenham in 1938. He certainly rode for them in 1936 (in friendlies).

Duke rode post war for Norwich then Yarmouth in 1948, transferring to Leicester and retiring in April 1949 after injury.

Any information on Danny Lee, riding in the late 1930s?

I recall Danny Lee was at West Ham in the late 30s and I think he rode for Hammers Reserve team during this time and filled in for Max Grosskreutz's "Norwich Select" against the Hammers in one second-half match at Custom House. This was a match arranged between Max and his pal Bluey Wilkinson. The 9-heat match was on 24/9/37 and resulted West Ham 17 Norwich 37. Bert Spencer & Wal Morton 9 maximums, Dick Wise 7, Wilf Jay 5, Reggie Hay 4 and Danny Lee 3 were the Stars scorers. Jock Sweet & Bill Birtwell were non-starters and replaced by Reggie Hay & Danny Lee from my info.

Roy Duke suffered a serious back injury whilst with Norwich in 1947 and he was subsequently replaced in the Stars line-up by Ivor "Aussie" Powell who was signed from West Ham. Roy suffered this injury in a Challenge match v West Ham

Alan Smith was found & trained by Max at the Firs as a member of the Norwich Stars whilst Malcolm Craven was told by Max "you will not make a speedway rider" if reports could be believed, he went on to join Wembley & Birmingham after those early rides at the Firs. Max, for once, was to be proved wrong, but it was maybe the only time he was.

Charlie Challis was with Crystal Palace & Birmingham pre-war. In 1946 he was with Norwich for a while, then joined Plymouth Devils in the new Third Division with Len Read and also rode in open meetings for the then new Leicester track.

Edited by star ghost

Duke rode post war for Norwich then Yarmouth in 1948, transferring to Leicester and retiring in April 1949 after injury.

Any information on Danny Lee, riding in the late 1930s?

Danny Lee was at West Ham in the mid-1930s, then with Birmingham in 1937 and 1938. He was also active at Eastbourne from the mid-1930s to 1939. In the latter season, Lee also rode for Southampton. Post-war he came back at Harringay, then joined Sheffield. He went on to ride for Edinburgh before retiring the early 1950s. Danny was also a keen member of the Veteran Speedway Riders Association (as it was first known) for many years. At one time he lived in Hastings.

Thank you very much for the information above. Danny Lee was resident in Oxford in 1939 and was active in the clubs first season.

Edited by miro

I recall Danny Lee was at West Ham in the late 30s and I think he rode for Hammers Reserve team during this time and filled in for Max Grosskreutz's "Norwich Select" against the Hammers in one second-half match at Custom House. This was a match arranged between Max and his pal Bluey Wilkinson. The 9-heat match was on 24/9/37 and resulted West Ham 17 Norwich 37. Bert Spencer & Wal Morton 9 maximums, Dick Wise 7, Wilf Jay 5, Reggie Hay 4 and Danny Lee 3 were the Stars scorers. Jock Sweet & Bill Birtwell were non-starters and replaced by Reggie Hay & Danny Lee from my info.

Roy Duke suffered a serious back injury whilst with Norwich in 1947 and he was subsequently replaced in the Stars line-up by Ivor "Aussie" Powell who was signed from West Ham. Roy suffered this injury in a Challenge match v West Ham

Alan Smith was found & trained by Max at the Firs as a member of the Norwich Stars whilst Malcolm Craven was told by Max "you will not make a speedway rider" if reports could be believed, he went on to join Wembley & Birmingham after those early rides at the Firs. Max, for once, was to be proved wrong, but it was maybe the only time he was.

Charlie Challis was with Crystal Palace & Birmingham pre-war. In 1946 he was with Norwich for a while, then joined Plymouth Devils in the new Third Division with Len Read and also rode in open meetings for the then new Leicester track.

In 1954,I paid £5 for a bike once owned by Charlie Challis. It had been fitted with a 250cc JAP engine (probably for use on grass). The bike was standing in a scrap yard at the Elephant & Castle in south London. I sold it on to the French rider Claude Boston who wanted the frame, handlebars and wheels. The engine went as a job-lot in the deal.

Thank you very much for the information above. Danny Lee was resident in Oxford in 1939 and was active in the clubs first season.

Danny Lee also rode at Staines in 1939 where his main rival was former West Ham rider Jack Adams.

At Oxford, among Lee's opponents would probably have been Billy Newell and George Bason - possibly Peter Robinson.

Edited by speedyguy

George Bason, who died not long ago I believe, was captain of the first Oxford team to race a visiting side at Cowley in 1939. Some other names of that year apart from Lee and Duke were Geoff Godwin, Buster Yeoman, Dick Reynolds, Rob Jones, Ron Clarke, Jack Adams, Jack Peck - I had a list of scorers once - any info on early Oxford welcome, and apologies for going off topic.

George Bason, who died not long ago I believe, was captain of the first Oxford team to race a visiting side at Cowley in 1939. Some other names of that year apart from Lee and Duke were Geoff Godwin, Buster Yeoman, Dick Reynolds, Rob Jones, Ron Clarke, Jack Adams, Jack Peck - I had a list of scorers once - any info on early Oxford welcome, and apologies for going off topic.

The 'Potted History of Oxford' gives some details on 1939. Drop me a PM if you want further details from it.

Harry Rogers did ride for Dagenham in their opening league match of the season against the Romford "Rommers" on May 1st (scoring 1 pt). He died, age 24, on Thur May 19 at a special charity meeting staged to encourage recruits to the Territorial Army (well, this was 1938, remember). His bike locked with that of 40yr old Dagger Jack Cooley, and both fell. Rogers was then run over by junior Alex Gray.

22yr old David Jackson died at a practice session on Thur Aug 11th, when he was thrown over his handlebars and landed on his head. No other rider was involved. No further meetings were held at Dagenham in 1938 after this death - I'm not sure whether those two facts are linked, though the inquest verdict on both fatalities was "accidental death".

Interesting to note that the Eastbourne team, which won the league, contained four members of the Birmingham National Lge Div.2 team - Tiger Hart, Bob Lovell, Danny Lee, and Stan Lemon (who rode as Stan Johns in the Sunday League)

The league was referred to in Speedway News as the Inter-Club League, but in Eastbourne newspapers as the Sunday Dirt-Track League.

22yr old David Jackson died at a practice session on Thur Aug 11th, when he was thrown over his handlebars and landed on his head. No other rider was involved. No further meetings were held at Dagenham in 1938 after this death

Dagenham re-opened on 9 October 1938. Morian Hansen took over microphone duties for the night while Stan Greatrex and Ernie Evans were pit marshalls. On 16 October Dagenham raced West Ham Hawks. The season ended on 6 November.

Yes, quite right, norbold. I even had those details in front of me as I wrote that email.

I must take more water with it :rolleyes:

Yes, quite right, norbold. I even had those details in front of me as I wrote that email.

I must take more water with it :rolleyes:

That's ok. And thank you for correcting me over Harry Rogers riding for the Daggers as well. :approve: