British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
T.N.T.

World Team Cup

Riders getting injured during meetings can spoil a team chances and the meeting. Changes are needed and they should look at other options.

OPTION ONE

Each team consists of 4 riders and 1 reserve. The 4 riders have 1 programmed ride each (16 heats) plus a nominated heat each (20 heats). The reserve can come in at anytime but can not take more than 5 rides through the meeting, including only one nominated race.

OPTION TWO

Each team consists of 4 riders and 2 reserves. The four riders are in pairs and have 6 programmed rides each. The 2 reserves can come in at anytime but can only have a maximum of six rides during the meeting.

OPTION THREE

Same format as now but have a reserve on standby who can take any 5 rides during the meeting.

One concern is the JOKER being played. Lets say going into the final heat of the race off, Team A are 4 points clear of TEAM B, while TEAM C are just two points behind. Team C can use a tactical ride and qualify for the final.

Why not just have a tactical ride where you can bring in your top rider for normal points or a reserve. Forget the Joker cards.

Would fans prefer two riders from each country in one heat ?

Would fans prefer two riders from each country in one heat ?

Yes as I think this would mean team riding and would balance the proceedings rather than have the scenario in Denmark with one team right out of contention. Also it may prevent a situation where a team would not be able to score any points because of an injured rider unable to take his place in a race.

I would prefer there to be a pairs event yes. 4 riders, 1 reserve. Reserve can only replace an injured rider and would be under 21. This would atleast stop teams putting in a sick note for a good rider off form.

the craven sheild formila with three teams,

3 qualifiers, whoever wins go to the final, teams to be seeded.

6 man teams and team ridding simple!

you would need 9 countries

Suggestion of team riding in the SWC gets bought up every year and always gets the same answer. The format was changed after the Aussies threw a race against the Swedes at Coventry in 2000 meaning Sweden got into a run off for 1st with GB where Rickardsson beat Loram.

Can still picture the Adams/Crump pairing riding 4 laps with their left foot on the ground trying to slow down so as not to pass the Swedes.

Race fixing would be alot easier if we had pairs. Nothing wrong with the format now.

The only change to the current format is, I would like is the addition of a reserve who could have a maximum of 5 rides and put in at the managers discression. I felt it was unfair on Denmark to only be able to run one rider in a heat, if Nicki had been injured in his first ride that would have ment 5 rides with no Danish rider.

OPTION THREE

Same format as now but have a reserve on standby who can take any 5 rides during the meeting.

This would work fine I think - same as a rider with number 7 (15) in the Polish league who can replace any rider at any time whether he's injured or just weak on a given day (being allowed to rider 5 times only, or 6 if TR) :rolleyes:

I like option 3 - but rather than a reserve rider, why not have teams put their best rider in this position and then use then tactically throughout the meeting?

How about same format - but with a non riding reserve who would come in if a rider is injured - or can replace a member of the team who isnt riding well in the meeting - but if a rider is then injured they would suffer the consequences -

much like a reserve is supposed to be used -

(i.e football - if they use all their players to just replace under performers in a match - and then suffer an injury to say the GoalKeeper - they would have to use a player on the pitch to replace him)

This is where a team manager really would play a part in proceedings.

I also thought a tape offence should mean a rider starting from 15mtrs rather than exclusion.

They really should try to have 4 riders in every race in all competitions.

Much like we have also said for GPs where the reserves should come into a race when a rider is excluded (except for semis and finals of course)

Is it me or did saturdays match seem to drag on a bit too long too - I think 25 heats is a bit too many.

It wouldve been a real shame had Russia lost the match after having such a good start.

Isnt the Joker only applied when a team is 8 points behind???

In the WC competition this seems a fair enough option - as there is only one rider - so the max points would be 6 (leaving the team 8 points ahead to begin with still t an advantage - which still seems fair) - whereas in the British league a team can pull back a max of 8 points - which eradicates any built up advantage - which is very unfair

Suggestion of team riding in the SWC gets bought up every year and always gets the same answer. The format was changed after the Aussies threw a race against the Swedes at Coventry in 2000 meaning Sweden got into a run off for 1st with GB where Rickardsson beat Loram.

Can still picture the Adams/Crump pairing riding 4 laps with their left foot on the ground trying to slow down so as not to pass the Swedes.

Race fixing would be alot easier if we had pairs. Nothing wrong with the format now.

Yes, I bring this up every year The Speedway world cup is not a team event, it is an accumulative score based on individual rides. It should be a team event!!!!!! Pairs of riders riding as a team, IF it is this format because of Australian cheating, then good refereeing should be employed :blink:

Hypothetically, would the forum users who like this format, like League racing to have the same format?? (obviously assuming it were logistically and financially possible)

No!

WHY?

Edited by Hammer

part of the problem in speedway is the constant tampering with the rules.

the world cup as it is seems to be a reasonable format, every rider meets every other opponent and the best total wins.

simple but effective.

the only changes i would make are the allowance of a substitute for cases like pedersens.

he is out of the meeting and therefore denmark have no rider in his heats.[ under normal conditions]

secondly the joker should be scrapped or if we must keep it a team should be at least 7/8 points behind.

a team 6 points behind could actually go level with the leaders in 1 heat which to me is wrong. a russian having 1 engine failure on saturday could have allowed denmark to draw level [ assuming they were only 6 behind] despite having a great night.

In the circumstances as of Saturday, why not just use a simple rider replacement for an injured team member, with each rider taking a replacement ride in the order in which they appear in the team. This facility only to be used in the event of injury, not because someone has a migraine due to scoring zero from three rides, would also stop teams naming a potential match winner at reserve. Simples :wink: