British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

Tommy Roper

Anyone know how Tommy is-does he still run his chain of hairdressing salons. In my view he was a stalwart part of the 1966 Halifax double winning team. I recall him riding for Sheffield in the PL-but perhaps also BV in late fifties-not sure about that?Always a tough opponent-perhaps Tommy retired too soon?

Tommy Roper started out at Odsal, Bradford with Tommy Toll and rode at Belle Vue also. He was always a tough rider to beat and as you say had his best days with the Dukes in the British League. Never an individualist I dont expect Tommy had any pretentions of being World Champion but was always ready to have a go whatever conditions or opposition

Tommy Roper joined Oxford from Belle Vue in mid 1971, in a move to strengthen the Cheetahs in a desperate season that meant they had to loose the Oxford legend Ronnie Genz to Newport, thus making his signing pointless! Roper, who was always a tough, composed and capable rider was never at home at Cowley in a short stay. He is remembered as the third man in a terrible pile-up resulting from a coming together between Pete Ingram of Exeter and Rick Timmo, 'coming together' being a very generous interpretation of what happened...Timmo nearly died and never properly came back from it. Roper was gone by the end of the season, I don't recall him riding after that.

Edited by miro

Anyone know how Tommy is-does he still run his chain of hairdressing salons. In my view he was a stalwart part of the 1966 Halifax double winning team. I recall him riding for Sheffield in the PL-but perhaps also BV in late fifties-not sure about that?Always a tough opponent-perhaps Tommy retired too soon?

I remember Tommy Roper at Halifax, Belle Vue and Oxford for that matter. He did improve over the years. However I always remember him at Belle Vue with Jim Yacoby and thinking at the time that they were a dirty pair of ******* as there always seem to be incidents with them.

It was nothing really hard but fair is what I recall today.

Your right about Oxford though he didn't like it there.

Tommy Roper joined Oxford from Belle Vue in mid 1971, in a move to strengthen the Cheetahs in a desperate season that meant they had to loose the Oxford legend Ronnie Genz to Newport, thus making his signing pointless! Roper, who was always a tough, composed and capable rider was never at home at Cowley in a short stay. He is remembered as the third man in a terrible pile-up resulting from a coming together between Pete Ingram of Exeter and Rick Timmo, 'coming together' being a very generous interpretation of what happened...Timmo nearly died and never properly came back from it. Roper was gone by the end of the season, I don't recall him riding after that.

Miro,

I remember the accident well as I was standing on the little wooden stand coming out of the third bend just past the old supporters club bar. Rick I understand, actually died and they brought him back ti life if that makes sense. Rick was a really good Cheetahs rider but never actually moved up to a higher level. He always put 100% in and was always good to watch.

However, I was bitterly disappointed when we let Genno go for Tommy Roper, it was a massive mistake.

Brian

Brian

I thought the Ronnie Genz move was a "Rider Control" decision............rather than an Oxford "letting him go" one

Edited by star ghost

Brian

I thought the Ronnie Genz move was a "Rider Control" decision............rather than an Oxford "letting him go" one

Hi Star Ghost,

I think it was but Oxford were given the choice of what ridre to release on this occasion. The Rider Control Board also moved Genno away from Oxford to Poole in the mid-sixties.

Great posts re Tommy-I didn't realise he kept going until 1971 nor aware of the Genz/Roper trade-another name mentioned in these posts was Jim Yacobi-what is Jim up to now?? I recall him with B.V. in the old NL days and in first years of BL.

Great posts re Tommy-I didn't realise he kept going until 1971 nor aware of the Genz/Roper trade-another name mentioned in these posts was Jim Yacobi-what is Jim up to now?? I recall him with B.V. in the old NL days and in first years of BL.

Bobbath,

Now there's a name that I dont recall coming up on here! I remember him well but I am sure he dropped out of racing in mid-late 60s.

jim yacoby still very much involved with speedway grandad of james & charles wright can be seen at bell-vue & buxton every week

Bobbath,

Jim Yacoby is, indirectly, still involved with Belle Vue. He is the grandfather of James Wright and is the guiding light of James's career. I imagine he also plays a similar role in relation to his other grandson, Charles Wright of Workington.

Regards,

Ron.

Tommy Roper started out at Odsal, Bradford with Tommy Toll and rode at Belle Vue also. He was always a tough rider to beat and as you say had his best days with the Dukes in the British League. Never an individualist I dont expect Tommy had any pretentions of being World Champion but was always ready to have a go whatever conditions or opposition
...hmmmmmmm you never saw him looking out of the Hyde Road pits looking at the rain clouds closing in ! Good rider,until the rain came.

Great to hear about Jim Yacoby-another rider of the same era and I would say similar in talent was Bill Powell-anyone know how Bill is??