British Speedway Forum

I cant believe this argument about Scott Nicholls, how can his form merit a call up. The other guys King and Bridger did well on Monday so they totally deserved their chance.

Danny rode brilliantly Monday night on a track he knows well and Lewis tryed but was off the pace. Both gave their all tonight but neither was going to be as fast as Scott on a track he knows.

How do their scores add up to Scotts in Poland? I do not know who decided Mr Nicholls wasn't going to Leszno, but stick with my felling that that cost us a place there on Saturday.

Well seems Denmarks injuries caught up with them tonight. Heartbreaking to see Hans scoring so low. He clearly wanted to help his country into the final but the injury proved too much. Iversen should be ashamed as a Danish regular he should be putting in a better performance than he did tonight. But Bjerre WOW has he found some form recently what a SWC he has had fantastic from the "pint size Dane".

BritPete the Aussies were out racing for points in every heat from 1-25 not just at the end to put you lot out. How do you know Shields hadnt seized an engine or something of the sort hence Crump giving him his bike?

Well done to the Swedes though some very shrewd tactical moves paying off in the end for them. Very suprised that Lindback turned out to be the meeting winner (by qualifying) for the Swedes. However i think they will need to move it up a gear on Saturday or they are going to be totally outclassed.

Team GB/England/Great Britain what ever name you want to give it. The lads can be proud of themselves they pushed all the way to heat 25 but in the end missed out to strength in depth to the Swedes. I think Rob Lyon made the right call on leaving Scott out. I dont think they would of got anywhere near what they did if he was there. His on going feud with Chris and his lack of form and low morale would of destroyed everything Rob is trying to build.

Well done to all 4 teams great nights racing. Bring on Saturday.

Danny rode brilliantly Monday night on a track he knows well and Lewis tryed but was off the pace. Both gave their all tonight but neither was going to be as fast as Scott on a track he knows.

How do their scores add up to Scotts in Poland? I do not know who decided Mr Nicholls wasn't going to Leszno, but stick with my felling that that cost us a place there on Saturday.

Great post ...thanks to mister lyon we will not be in a world cup final :mad::mad: .. Danny king what the hell was he thinking about ?

NOT having read all pages on this topic to sorry if im going over old ground but why did pearson keep on saying we were the underdogs and blooding youngsters for the future when clearly denmark were weaker then us but there wasnt a word mentioned about Klindt and patrick H STEPPING UP INTO THE BIG TIME.Its like Pearson and co have got blinkers on as i thought we clearly had a chance to get to the final.Chris Holder and davey watt havnt had it easy in the elite this year with a lot of british boys beating them on a regular basis,but they stepped up to the plate and delivered.I cant beleive Rob Lyon saying we are planning for 3 or 4 years down the line,we should be ready now.If i was lyon i would try and arrange for the likes of King,Bridger etc extra track time in poland on a regular basis not using the actual world cup as a poor excuse to blood the younsters.simon lambert is doing the correct thing in riding in div 2 in poland most weeks to gain experience on polish tracks ,the trick being let the poles train our lads and get something out of them!!

Why do people automatically think that if Nichollls had come in we would have reached the final. So Nicholls poor form this season counts for nothing, at the end of the its all ifs and buts King deserved his chance.

I wish people would get off Lyons back, what do people want a different team manager every year, thats gonna win us the world cup isnt it. :angry:

Why do people automatically think that if Nichollls had come in we would have reached the final. So Nicholls poor form this season counts for nothing, at the end of the its all ifs and buts King deserved his chance.

I wish people would get off Lyons back, what do people want a different team manager every year, thats gonna win us the world cup isnt it. :angry:

Because a below par Nicholls would have scored more than King :rolleyes:

3 experienced riders and 2 inexperienced riders would have been the best combo IMHO

Edited by leighrico

But Lyons is there to manage the squad,look at denmark thet practice as a team all over the place including eastbourne!!Yes Danny king should be involved but its no good having a practice at kings lynn,get Danny out to poland with others time and time again,talk to people who could help him improve on big tracks and take kennett with him.Lyon should have been plannig his world cup dream as soon as the tracks were known,thats where Jan s the danish manager is so good.

Sorry to pick on your post Trees but couldn't be bothered to go back through to find the others!

If Lyons had studied the "World Cup Regulations" as I would have thought he might have, and kept up with what was going on etc, he would or should have known the gate positions! it clearly shows in the Regulations on page 18 every gate position for the riders! (sorry I am a geek that obtains these each year)

Wasn't overly impressed with the way he tried to belittle Jan's spreadsheet (which was correct) either!

One little point here, you say how the negativity and not believing in the riders brings them down! how do you think Lewis felt after the exclusion then being dropped from the following race? possibly that his manager did not believe in him? hmm? :unsure: Just a thought there!

This was the one downside for me this evening - Robs attitude to the mix up.

If an opportunity had arisen to get a re-run when we rearly needed it I would have been a little more assertive.

Find out the facts QUICKLY and then work on the solution

Dont just stand back and see what happens.

As a Swede the meeting was a disgrace in Swedish eyes the first 19 heats.

But the Swedish riders woke up late and was almost giving me and many others heart problems. It was a good Race off racing wise.

But shame shame on the referee Istavan Darago and Ole Olsen or who was in charge for the meeting from BSI.

Just Istavan Darago has been in trouble before. Back in the late 90's at a GP at Coventry he put on the red lights during the heat and all three riders except Tomasz Gollob was completing the heat. Then it was very hot scenes from the Gollob camp, Ole Olsen and Istavan Darago who couldnt even basic simple english....

Longing to saturday for the BIG final between Russia, Poland, Australia and Sweden.

/ Mikael

As a Swede the meeting was a disgrace in Swedish eyes the first 19 heats.

But the Swedish riders woke up late and was almost giving me and many others heart problems. It was a good Race off racing wise.

But shame shame on the referee Istavan Darago and Ole Olsen or who was in charge for the meeting from BSI.

Just Istavan Darago has been in trouble before. Back in the late 90's at a GP at Coventry he put on the red lights during the heat and all three riders except Tomasz Gollob was completing the heat. Then it was very hot scenes from the Gollob camp, Ole Olsen and Istavan Darago who couldnt even basic simple english....

Longing to saturday for the BIG final between Russia, Poland, Australia and Sweden.

/ Mikael

Agreed Tarabanko - the battles between Sajfutdinov, Crump & the Poles on a proper race track should be great - rain stay away!!

He actually left the yellow (2 minutes) lights on during the race that Gollob misread as red stop lights. The guy is a baffoon, he was also in charge at Gorican last month and excluded Zagar after he was taken out by Rymel (?). This "must exclude somebody" type of decision rather than an all 4 back does the sport no good at all, IMO. As for Heat 22 tonight, I'll reserve judgement until its confirmed whether he cocked up again or whether the information provided to him was incorrect.

I haven't read all of the thread and apologies for any drunken ramblings but here goes....

Very proud of the British riders tonight, I thought they could make a fight of it and so it proved, I was properly gutted at the end because we came so close to making the final. Bridger and King found it tough but that was to be expected. Rico was nothing short of fantastic, Bomber gave it everything but just didn't have the speed and Tai was in the thick of the action and got some very important points on the board.

I was very critical of Rob Lyon's team selection for peterborough but looking at it now I think he was spot on, the experience the younger riders have gained from this will be invaluable and all of them have shown what they are capable of at some point. We were discussing tonight what difference Scott Nicholls would have made and it's fair to say we would have got through with him in the side. The thing is though he has had his chance before and not performed. Rob Lyon took a bold step for this world cup and I honestly think that Team GB will benefit from it next year and beyond.

I went through the mill tonight watching this GB team against the odds take it to heat 25 to decide who progressed into the final. There aren't many sports that can serve up the drama we saw tonight and it was absolutely captivating, well done to all the GB riders, I am very proud of you right now.

NOT having read all pages on this topic to sorry if im going over old ground but why did pearson keep on saying we were the underdogs and blooding youngsters for the future when clearly denmark were weaker then us but there wasnt a word mentioned about Klindt and patrick H STEPPING UP INTO THE BIG TIME.Its like Pearson and co have got blinkers on as i thought we clearly had a chance to get to the final.Chris Holder and davey watt havnt had it easy in the elite this year with a lot of british boys beating them on a regular basis,but they stepped up to the plate and delivered.I cant beleive Rob Lyon saying we are planning for 3 or 4 years down the line,we should be ready now.If i was lyon i would try and arrange for the likes of King,Bridger etc extra track time in poland on a regular basis not using the actual world cup as a poor excuse to blood the younsters.simon lambert is doing the correct thing in riding in div 2 in poland most weeks to gain experience on polish tracks ,the trick being let the poles train our lads and get something out of them!!

Both Bridger and Woffinden DO ride in the Polish League for Czestachowa (sp) so they are being "trained by the Poles" !

Not sure about Danny King, but the rest of the GB team also ride regularly in Poland.

The commentators said on Monday and again tonight that the GB youngsters don't ride in Poland.

This was just after on Monday that Bridger said that he was using his Polish bike, tuned by Marcel Gerhard!

Don't they listen?

Well done, Team GB, on a very good performance tonight. Such a shame they just missed out in the end.

Edited by Pollyanna

Really suprised we took it to the very last race, didnt expect that at all. From the outside looking in though, Nicholls should have been in the side tonight. Using the world cup as a training ground was a bad call for me. King earned his call-up after the peterboro round so Lyon had to include him I suppose. What he did tonight though was predictable, I,d have put in Scotty because even an under-par Nicholls would have scored more than Danny tonight, and in the end that has cost us a place in the final. With the Danes injury hit and so badly out of form it was a golden chance to go through and give Sweden a run for their money. Easy to say after the event, I know, but I think some poor decisions were made in the build up to this. When youre in it, its to win it. Changes Denmark made were forced, we had an option to use Scott and we should have done. Had we, well we would be looking forward to a final with Britain in it.

Its ok everyone saying England "would" be in the final had Nicholls been there. Now unless you have a crystal ball then no one and i mean NO ONE knows what sort of score Nicholls would of got. He may of went out and crashed and been ruled out due to injury. That would of left you with 4 riders. He could of went out and blew his engines and had to use someone elses bike. Anything at all could of happened. If he was selected it doesnt guarentee that England would of qualified.