British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tony The Tiger

No Pearson Or Millard!

Kelvin and Louis did very well indeed! For two former speedway riders to be able to take over like that was superb. Not the easiest of matches either, with the huge delay, the enormity of the occassion and the very close score. Well done boys! :approve:

Edited by Cliv Clav

Wouldn't wish ill on anyone so hope Mrs Pearson is okay.

That said I think Kelvin is doing the commentator's job much better than Pearson. He's saying what's going on without bawling and lecturing the watching public....we haven't heard a single 'who SAID speedway is..........' all morning! Please, please can we have this 'team' more often. Louis is obviously far better at the 'expert' role than Kelvin and so far Kelvin is better than Pearson and Millard put together. This is the first speedway meeting this year where I haven't felt the need to either mute the telly or shout 'shut up' at the screen!!!!

Keep up the good work Sir Kelv and Loubie!!!!! :approve:

Totally agree.

While adding my congratulations to Nigel Pearson & his family, I wonder if this morning's coverage has accidentally seen the end of Tony Millard doing any more speedway commentaries on Sky, certainly beyond any work he might have been guaranteed already this season.

(rsst edited for space)

I think you've read the situation superbly. Any SWC event is a marathon at 25 heats but to add the need to cover for an hour on Saturday and then to cover the delays on Sunday turned it into a very, very difficult task. To then have to do it in the morning without the benefit of Messrs Pearson, Heuwen and Green just takes the achievement to another level.

Tony Millard is a very experienced journalist who has a good record in reporting sport, mainly football plus of course speedway for BBC radio as well as announcing for several years at Eastbourne speedway. Given such an impressive cv I could never understand how his speedway commentaries became so stale, factually-inaccurate and cliche-ridden. Equally I am sure he would have had his own strong views on my own efforts in the genre if he came across them. It was a relief to hear Nigel take over even if his work is sometimes over-projected (NOT shouted) but his factual knowlege and authority would not be challenged by most knowledgable speedway people.

As I've said before when ypu commentate, present, interview or report your style is often dictated to you by your editor or producer. Few have total freedom to do it their own way.

That was a heck of a challenge to all and I think they did a magnificent job in the most difficult of circumstances. Charlie Webster really came of age in these broadcasts; she's clearly been doing her homework and I can confirm from personal experience that getting the timing right when having to seek out pit interviews is downright tough. She did her job, got the mic in there and dealt with the situation effectively when inevitably riders weren't able to help her. It isn't easy, I can tell you, even at a minor league match, let alone a World Cup Final.

Congratulations to the Pearsons on their new arrival and I hope the rumour's not true that certain posters on this forum have been whingeing because the youngster's crying is "dooin' their 'eds in".

Rob McCaffery.

(The ex-Screensport one, not the ex-Sky Sports one)

Edited by rmc

Guest Ashie Smashy
It was a relief to hear Nigel take over even if his work is sometimes over-projected (NOT shouted) but his factual knowlege and authority would not be challenged by most knowledgable speedway people.

Rob, Pearson DOES shout, it is not over projection. If that is his defence that he thinks he is is projecting his voice rather than shouting then he is deluded. His knowledge during commentary as been wrong many times too.