British Speedway Forum

Well done to the 3 qualifiers....however, what I find ironic is that to qualify for a SERIES it relies on a ONE OFF meeting which the SERIES was meant to replace.

How thin is the line for qualification? If Protasiewcz hadn't locked up whilst leading with Harris 2nd, Lindgren 3rd and Zetterstrom last, had he even managed to fall and get up without anyone else getting involved, Zetterstrom would not have qualified (or at least Lindgren would have got a rostrum).

I would maybe go for a secondary series at established speedway circuits/would be hosts (ability to prove oneself) on the Fridays of a GP weekend (eg. Coventry, maybe a German track, Croatian, even Russian). If riders can prove themselves in there, qualification is given. Of course at some point you need a one off qualifying system, but if it is a 'once removed' stage before the gateway of the main GP, then it would lead to less trouble in picking riders....!

On another point, with Emil at 19, Holder at 21, maybe even Darcy (currently 17), in the GP's in two years time, these 3 have a good chance of still being there in 2023!!! Scary thought for me.

Even worse, these 3 highlight the problem with Team GB when we still refer to 24 and 26 year olds as young riders/needing experience/give youth a chance! Kicks that argument straight into touch. If you really want youth to have a chance, go and pick 17-18 year olds. I have been impressed with Simon Gustafsson this year, and he doesn't have an equivalent Brit of his age!

Well done to the 3 qualifiers....however, what I find ironic is that to qualify for a SERIES it relies on a ONE OFF meeting which the SERIES was meant to replace.

Not strictly true - the riders in this meeting came through a series of qualifying rounds.

How thin is the line for qualification? If Protasiewcz hadn't locked up whilst leading with Harris 2nd, Lindgren 3rd and Zetterstrom last, had he even managed to fall and get up without anyone else getting involved, Zetterstrom would not have qualified (or at least Lindgren would have got a rostrum).

I would maybe go for a secondary series at established speedway circuits/would be hosts (ability to prove oneself) on the Fridays of a GP weekend (eg. Coventry, maybe a German track, Croatian, even Russian). If riders can prove themselves in there, qualification is given. Of course at some point you need a one off qualifying system, but if it is a 'once removed' stage before the gateway of the main GP, then it would lead to less trouble in picking riders....!

On another point, with Emil at 19, Holder at 21, maybe even Darcy (currently 17), in the GP's in two years time, these 3 have a good chance of still being there in 2023!!! Scary thought for me.

Even worse, these 3 highlight the problem with Team GB when we still refer to 24 and 26 year olds as young riders/needing experience/give youth a chance! Kicks that argument straight into touch. If you really want youth to have a chance, go and pick 17-18 year olds. I have been impressed with Simon Gustafsson this year, and he doesn't have an equivalent Brit of his age!

17-18 year olds up to 21 year olds can be Under 21 World Champions and will have a series of their own next season, if you take all the best riders out of that series that will be under strength.

The 250cc world Championship, will start soon, and you have enough British talent there at the moment.If the best British riders are in the under 21 bracket then this is where SGB should put all of there resources, and over time the British scene will strengthen and British riders will come though the system in numbers not one every now and again. What you have all got to come to terms with is there are at least 20 world class riders that are better than the best British rider at the moment, it would do British speedway the world of good to not have a rider there next year.

Not strictly true - the riders in this meeting came through a series of qualifying rounds.

Exactly Sotonian, the 3 qualifiers are there on merit. Why don't they increase it to 7 qualifiers in future and only have one wild card. With the bottom 8 in the GP Series going into the challenge. Then we can forget the wild card lottery which is, in my opinion entry via the back door.

17-18 year olds up to 21 year olds can be Under 21 World Champions and will have a series of their own next season, if you take all the best riders out of that series that will be under strength.

The 250cc world Championship, will start soon, and you have enough British talent there at the moment.If the best British riders are in the under 21 bracket then this is where SGB should put all of there resources, and over time the British scene will strengthen and British riders will come though the system in numbers not one every now and again. What you have all got to come to terms with is there are at least 20 world class riders that are better than the best British rider at the moment, it would do British speedway the world of good to not have a rider there next year.

But if the U21 series is where they are meant to go, then the GP would not have had Emil in? Or can they do both? Dates clash?

I do agree though, resources should be targeted at the real youth, U21, or even U18. However, in terms of resources, how much is REALLY available. I see Erik Gundersen bemoaning the lack of British talent in the Speedway Star, I hope some of the youngsters took him up on his offer to get experience abroad.

But that is like the old one off finals, no? Or am I imagining that? If so, why do so many be-little the winners eg. 1973 Jerzy Szczakiel and 1983 Egon Muller! Everyone knew Zetterstrom would have a good meeting on one of his best tracks.

Edited by Authorised

This is the GP series not some little veteran league for old boys go before they retire.

Zorro is a nice guy and a good "team player", good to have in you team even if his scores isnt always that good.

I think he was one of the reasons that my now folded team Smederna actually performed better then many expected

and i liked that he was back where he belonged.

But the GPs is no place for him or any other rider of the same standard/career position.

He is already inconsistent in the leagues so how are he going manage a full season - Budgetwise, GP team wise and etc.

I am pleased that we now might have 3 swedes in the GPs next season but not so pleased if Zorro's

qualification means that Antonio wont get a WC.

Zorro also intend to ride in all three leagues next season so he should realize his limits.

he will hardly be a better rider next year or will he?

Or perhaps we should kick all the young ones out and bring in more oldies like Hamill, Loram, Trick, Ermolenko, PK?

That will surely increase the interest in the GPs.

If you dont like younger riders in the Gps well too bad for you then but you dont have to watch.

Still talking crap as far as Zorro is concerned !!!!!

I have been impressed with Simon Gustafsson this year, and he doesn't have an equivalent Brit of his age!

Gustafsson - born 25/05/1990

Woffinden - born 10/08/1990

I like Gustafsson, but to say we dont have an equivalent, when Woffinden is performing much better than him is a pretty blinkered view

Gustafsson - born 25/05/1990

Woffinden - born 10/08/1990

I like Gustafsson, but to say we dont have an equivalent, when Woffinden is performing much better than him is a pretty blinkered view

I should say, and have consistently said this for several years, Woffinden is a product of the Australian youth system and not the British. To say Woffinden is succeeding because of the British system, would be to suggest Gustafsson is as well.

I accept he is British, and don't hold the fact he wore an Aussie shirt in the World Cup this summer against him, but to hold him up as British product is frankly unacceptable, and would be swallowing BSPA spin.

This is the first chance I have had to post since Friday evening!

Whilst I thoroughly enjoyed the evening, even though as many have said there was not a great deal of passing, the racing itself was fast and you could tell that all the riders were trying their hardest to get into the points!

My biggest complaint has to be the presentation at the start of the meeting, this was diabolical from the riders walking round in a mish-mash from pits to 2nd bend, then standing there for 10 minutes before then walking out across the centre concrete to "god-knows" what music!

What happened to a parade truck taking them round, flags from their representative countries etc?

This was the Grand Prix Challenge and something we had paid £25 admission plus £5 programme for and I just feel that Coventry put no real preparation into this whatsoever!

This is the first chance I have had to post since Friday evening!

Whilst I thoroughly enjoyed the evening, even though as many have said there was not a great deal of passing, the racing itself was fast and you could tell that all the riders were trying their hardest to get into the points!

My biggest complaint has to be the presentation at the start of the meeting, this was diabolical from the riders walking round in a mish-mash from pits to 2nd bend, then standing there for 10 minutes before then walking out across the centre concrete to "god-knows" what music!

What happened to a parade truck taking them round, flags from their representative countries etc?

This was the Grand Prix Challenge and something we had paid £25 admission plus £5 programme for and I just feel that Coventry put no real preparation into this whatsoever!

i agree

very messy

Entertaining meeting, with Zetterstorm a thoroughly deserving winner. Good to see Holder & Hampel qualify for the 2010 GP series. Track was quite heavy, but I guess it was like this to try to aid Harris through.

Meeting really should have been starated sooner. An 8pm start for league meetings may be OK, but a 20-heat individual really needs Heat 1 at the tapes at 7.30pm and not 8.15pm. An 11.00pm finish is not ideal for families, even on a Friday night.

And the music was absolutely dreadful - there's nothing other word for it. It really detracted from what is supposed to be a prestigious meeting - so why the comedy music? Last year, the music at Coventry was much better but now it's plumbing the depths again. It's a shame, because Peter York is one of the best mic-men in the business, but the music lets down the presentation package.

All the best

Rob

Just for the sake of it I'll say I would have thrown Bogdanovs out of the stadium if he had stepped on to the track with that racing jacket if I were in charge of the proceedings... Just like what would have happened to Lukas Dryml in his qualifier at Divisov.

I mean you prepare for a season for 2-5 months, build 2-6 bikes each worth 5-8k in that time, build your schedule and then qualify to the GP challenge. Then you show up in a racing jacket that has another country's flag ducktaped over on it. It would have cost you 60 euro to get one with your own sponsors or your country's flag on it... :oops:

And the swedes would have gotten the boot too... :lol:

One of the biggest shocks for me was Jonas Davidsson only scoring 3 points, I fancied him to be in with a shout. Kenny Bjerre only getting 6 was a suprise but then he looks quite capable of finishing in the top 8 anyway.

Davidsson was no surprise to me. Had it been slick he would have been flying to a double-figure score. Once I saw a bit of dirt on the track I knew he would be no threat. The same with him at Monmore tonight. If it's got plenty of dirt on he'll be crap, then probably get a maximum next week.

Bjerre was a little unlucky and fortunate at the same time. He packed up while leading but was very lucky that the pack scattered behind him and somehow they all got through without riding straight into him (a minor miracle). And he was also wiped out on the first turn of one heat. It was a nasty crash that must have shook him up but he was lucky to be able to continue without serious injury and still has a chance to qualify by right through the GPs.

I have been impressed with Simon Gustafsson this year, and he doesn't have an equivalent Brit of his age!

I should say, and have consistently said this for several years, Woffinden is a product of the Australian youth system and not the British.

So what about Bridger? The age gap is hardly huge. Roynon would be up there with Gustafsson too had it not been for two terrible injuries in the last two seasons, though I accept many will say there's no proof of that without him having actually proven it on track.

It's a shame, because Peter York is one of the best mic-men in the business...

I assume you're taking the wee wee? He introduced the ref as "...and our German referee from, well Germany...". After that I tuned out, as I usually try to do.

---------------------------

The crowd was a little better than I expected but it was by no means huge. There were less than some of the Bee's biggest meetings of recent seasons (the three '07 finals immediately springing to mind).

The racing was decent, and nothing more. I didn't find the pace particularly hot. The times were about normal. There was certainly plenty of dirt on the track but I wouldn't call it particularly deep and/or heavy.

Bomber was a bit unlucky off the outside in heat one as the elbows were flying in to and out of the first turn. Thereafter he rode well enough, although not forcing a way past Walasek was a little frustrating (cracking ride under pressure by the Pole though). Zorro and Holder were a cut above. Hampel went about his business and deserved his place. Lindgren paid the price for a single poor ride and wasn't up to the form shown this season at Brandon. Pepe could so easily have gone through but for a fall (everyone lucky to get up from that one) and rode well. The few below this were never in contention but nicked a few points here and there in decent enough rides. The pick of the also rans for me was Meidzinski and I couldn't believe he hadn't got more when I totalled the scores. He always seemed to be in the thick of the action. The worst performance must have been by Pavlic. He was completely anonymous throughout.

Overall, I found it an entertaining evening/night and the crashes certainly added to the overall spectacle. Thankfully nobody was seriously hurt but my God the elbows were flying at times, and a few dodgy right turns here and there. Dryml (though I thought he was rather unfortunate to be excluded from the re-run of one heat when it looked as though he did not start the fun and games that time), Lindgren and Nemo all guilty at one time or another.