British Speedway Forum
Sprog1

Future of the GP's...?

Yes, but places should all be decided on track, one way or another.

They are "decided on the track, one way or another" Why do you think Tai Woffinden is going to be in? because he has a nice name!. He will be in because of his performances "on the track". That and the fact all the other Brits are crap

Why do you think Tai Woffinden is going to be in? because he has a nice name!. He will be in because of his performances "on the track".

He didn't qualify for the GP Challenge Final, whereas another Brit whose face apparently no longer fits in the SGP did. He wouldn't qualify on the basis of his league averages as far as I can see either, so in what way do his on-track performances on the track justify selection?

I realise the stale SGP desperately needs fresh faces, but perhaps if there was a more competitive qualification system as opposed to your face happening to fit, then more riders might be interested in entering the qualifying rounds, which in turn would improve the chances of different riders getting into the series.

More qualifiers and less GPs would mean more riders being able to compete in the world championship as they could afford to .................. a more varied world championship trail = more interest!

Next years series will likely contain 20 year old Emil Sayfutinov, 19? year old Tai Woffinden and 22 year old Freddie Lindgren. Hardly indicative of the old boys club that some would have you believe is it

But two, and possibly all three may be given a place having not met the qualification criteria :blink:

Lynn fan by any chance mick? :wink:

You could not be further from the truth. I would just like Speedway to be more successful than it is at the moment.

In fact I would not mine seeing a old style world championship and the GP's as well all in one season.

In Britain if we had 45 riders enter an old style championship then each rider would have 3 meetings Each Elite League club would host one meeting each

Any more than 45 then preliminary rounds could be held on Premier League tracks.

Repeat this in Poland and Sweden.

Any other nationality could enter in the country they ride league matches in.

The top scoring 10 in each country +2 highest runner up then contest 2 semi finals. Then top 8 in each final go through final.

One year final in Britain and two semi finals in Poland and Sweden. Next year final in Poland and S/f 's in Britain and Sweden. Year 3 final in Sweden and other two countries have semi finals.

All profits stay in Speedway,and all clubs want more meetings in a season.

They are "decided on the track, one way or another" Why do you think Tai Woffinden is going to be in? because he has a nice name!. He will be in because of his performances "on the track". That and the fact all the other Brits are crap

Which performances would these be?

His SGP qualifier (1)? No, he failed to qualify.

His SGP qualifier (2)? No, given an undeserved second chance, he again failed to qualify.

What has he won of note?

He fulfills your last criterion but that's not reason enough to be included.

Tracks should be prepared by the usual curator for that track, it's a bit of an insult to the curator that someone should come in and take over their track anyway.

Practice the day before should be scrapped, it serves no purpose as the track is always completely different on race day anyway.

It doesnt matter if the surface is different - there is alot you could get out of a practice.... the main thing being, getting used to the shape (yes believe it or not fans EVERY speedway track is different in shape - even if they all look like an oval) - learning where the apexes are and working out where to throttle, where evident racing lines are...

even technical things for the bike - these sessions can be invaluable and are a test run

When coming into such a big meeting you would want everything prep'd to the best it can be so everything come racing goes like clockwork.

Certain riders who purposely miss practice are obviously too good or just dont care about their performance - says it all really.

(I would give a bye for guys who have travel problems or ride that track regularly though)

It doesnt matter if the surface is different - there is alot you could get out of a practice.... the main thing being, getting used to the shape (yes believe it or not fans EVERY speedway track is different in shape - even if they all look like an oval) - learning where the apexes are and working out where to throttle, where evident racing lines are...

even technical things for the bike - these sessions can be invaluable and are a test run

When coming into such a big meeting you would want everything prep'd to the best it can be so everything come racing goes like clockwork.

Certain riders who purposely miss practice are obviously too good or just dont care about their performance - says it all really.

(I would give a bye for guys who have travel problems or ride that track regularly though)

Fair play snapper, I didn't really think about the shape of the track. I know they differ in size, shape in corners and banking.

Is there an argument that riders of that quality should be able to have a couple of laps in the morning to get an idea? I'm not trying to be funny with that question, I genuinly wouldn't know.

Next years series will likely contain 20 year old Emil Sayfutinov, 19? year old Tai Woffinden and 22 year old Freddie Lindgren. Hardly indicative of the old boys club that some would have you believe is it

Don't forget the 22 year old Chris Holder!

Isn't Freddie Lindgren 24 this year? I believe he was born in 1985, the same year as Lindback.

Peter Collins was 22 when he won the world title in 1976!

Coming back to this topic after working in NHS circle my immediate thought was that people will always need doctors!! :lol:

And Michael Lee, even younger in 1980.. :approve:

'Fraid World Championship Speedway is now predominantly an old man's game..!! :cry:

As it always has been. Mauger won his first title at 28 and his last at 39.