British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tiger29

Top Gun @ Sheffield

Kyle hit Cookies back wheel and took him with him when he crashed. Craig was OK but has around £600+ damage to his bike along with a wrecked knee brace.

Glad to hear that the lad is okay, but sorry to hear that the faces a massive repair bill, I really do think that it was not wise to run a meeting like this via a handicap format, it encourages young riders to over ride, I hope in the future they revert back to a normal format.

Glad to hear that the lad is okay, but sorry to hear that the faces a massive repair bill, I really do think that it was not wise to run a meeting like this via a handicap format, it encourages young riders to over ride, I hope in the future they revert back to a normal format.

According to the 'officials' at the event none of the crashes were caused by the handicap system. Talking to a few of the riders they were concerned but they were overruled.

According to the 'officials' at the event none of the crashes were caused by the handicap system. Talking to a few of the riders they were concerned but they were overruled.

I think that saying the crashes were not caused by the handicap format is very debatable, all I will say is that I don't like the handicap format for me encourages over riding, it is bad enough asking top riders to do it but to ask young riders to do it is not a very good idea, these are riders who are at the start of their careers and maybe don't have the control and the track craft of a more experienced riders, and if something goes wrong as it did for Craig Cook they can be left with a big repair bill, and at this stage of their career they can ill afford.

I must admit that I thought the crash with Cookie and Howarth was caused by the handicap. Cookie was nearly around Howarth on turn 3 but then Howarth seemed to just pick up some grip and T-Boned Cooks' rear wheel. If Cook hadn't virtually been around him I dread to think of the outcome of that one. Later in the meeting Ben Taylor nearly got collected by another slower rider that he was in the process of passing on turn 3-4.

After the Howarth / Cook incident there was a massive meeting in the pits, which included ref. Tony Steele, Eric Boocock, and Neil Machin and I was almost certain that the outcome of that would be to scrap the handicap system there and then.

I couldn't believe the damage to Cook's knee brace - god only knows what would of happend to the lads' knee without that on!

The track was quite patchy (probably due to the very cold weather last night) and it caught many of the lads out, and I'm sure that this format with these lads would have worked better in the middle of summer with higher temperatures and a more consistent surface.

Not sure if Taylor Poole would have won the thing if Cook hadn't had to withdraw though, but fair do's to the lad, he looks a special talent.

Well done to Jade Mudgway and Ben Taylor too.

Hmm, never before seen the 'Updates' describe riders by their age rather than a club or whatever. :shock:

Taylor is of course VERY good..: but he ain't 15, folks. Born in August 1991, he's 18 years of age!!! :rolleyes:

http://www.taylorpoole.info/profile.html

This says that Taylor is indeed 17 and 18 next July.

No matter how old he is, he is another great Australian talent!!!!!!!!!

Taylor Poole looked the real deal to me. He reminded me of Sayfutdinov with his style and his back wheel chasing!

It was my first look at Craig Cook last night and it was a shame he pulled out, he looked very quick and will be a great three pointer in the PL next year.

Jade Mudgeway was very entertaining and steadied off towards the end. I also liked the look of Ben Taylor and Richie Franklin looked good for such a tall lad.

Watch out for Jamie Rodgers if he continues his comeback next year.

Just another quick thought.

When Greg Blair pulled out, why wasn't Jamie Rodgers given his place. He is looking at making a comeback after several years just racing on the grass and would have benefitted from five rides. If the Tigers are needing a three pointer at reserve next year then Jamie could perhaps do a job and he's a local lad.

I couldn't see the point in giving the last place to Scott Meakins ahead of Jamie and, with all due respect to Scott who did improve as the meeting went on, I could have given him a race on my Rayleigh Grifter in his first two rides.

Edited by tigerowl

'junior handicap' = recipe for disaster (from ht.4 onwards)

Edited by The SAINT

Taylor Poole looked the real deal to me. He reminded me of Sayfutdinov with his style and his back wheel chasing!

It was my first look at Craig Cook last night and it was a shame he pulled out, he looked very quick and will be a great three pointer in the PL next year.

Jade Mudgeway was very entertaining and steadied off towards the end. I also liked the look of Ben Taylor and Richie Franklin looked good for such a tall lad.

Watch out for Jamie Rodgers if he continues his comeback next year.

Unlike most of his opposition who have been riding for a No of years, Cookie had until this year very limited time on a Speedway bike he didn;t get to ride one until almost the end of last season. What he has achieved this year is remarkable and I look forward to watching his progress.

I agree spinking..I don't like handicaps for any speeadway racing, plus a meeting with the youngsters over 5 heats each, should start earlier to allow for mistakes.

i think everyone in the world would have forecast a few 'disruptions' to proceedings and therefore an earlier start (7.30?) was a must