British Speedway Forum
frenchy

Oldest Speedway Rider

The thread on the oldest World Finalist got me wondering who would be the oldest (eldest ?) Speedway rider who has competed in British Speedway. Assuming he is still with us then I thought Geoff Pymar but does anyone know ? Are there any High Beech (King's Oak) survivors from the first meeting in Feb '28 ? Are there any centennians (100 plus) ?

The thread on the oldest World Finalist got me wondering who would be the oldest (eldest ?) Speedway rider who has competed in British Speedway. Assuming he is still with us then I thought Geoff Pymar but does anyone know ? Are there any High Beech (King's Oak) survivors from the first meeting in Feb '28 ? Are there any centennians (100 plus) ?

Geoff Pymar died several years ago. As far as I know there are no pre-War riders left alive.

Geoff Pymar died several years ago. As far as I know there are no pre-War riders left alive.

Crocky Wright in the USA is still alive, and I am certain that at least one pre-war Australian rider is still with us.

Thanks, sg. I was thinking of British riders really. But it's good to know there are a couple of old timers still alive. :)

Although not a rider Mrs Max Grosskreutz is still with us and has topped the 100 mark not long ago. Len Read & Phil Clarke are the oldest Norwich riders who I know about but Geoff Pymar died just after he was made President of the Veterans Association a few years back

Although not a rider Mrs Max Grosskreutz is still with us and has topped the 100 mark not long ago. Len Read & Phil Clarke are the oldest Norwich riders who I know about but Geoff Pymar died just after he was made President of the Veterans Association a few years back

Talking of Len Read, who was 90 this year I believe, did he not have a go at Norwich before the War, Bryan? So perhaps there is one pre-War English rider still going strong.....

Len has never mentioned it to me but I think he may have ridden at a local grass track like Phil Clarke ang Jack Freeman did before taking up speedway. I thinnk he said his family used to work in a Shoe Factory before the war. Norwich was known for shoe factories at one time. Len was 90 last year so he is wearing well, as they say.

Norbold ...... Unfortunately a guest rider will have to be booked for me as I will be away at that weekend. All riders will be available for booking because Pam Hedge does such a good job of running the one meeting a year Norwich Stars are allowed. I hope you & the wife have a good time as usual. My booking is at Corton in Suffolk where I hope to meet Ray again. He is an ex-London fan who I met earlier this year when we were there. We managed to re-run a few Split v Ove battles of those days. Things dont change - Ove won them still

Sorry you won't be there, Bryan. I'll have to book in Keith to guest for you...

Thanks, sg. I was thinking of British riders really. But it's good to know there are a couple of old timers still alive. :)

I know this is UK interest only, but you may be interested to know that besides pre-World War Two USA East Coast rider Crocky Wright, I have now found the name of the pre-war Australian rider. It was sent to the oldtimespeedway site (address in my signature for those interested :unsure: ) by respected Australian historian Ross Garrigan in January. The Australian rider's name is Cyril Romaine. Ross wrote: "He knew a chap who knew Cyril Romaine. The interesting piece of information Barry gave me is that Cyril was born in Australia, the son of an American Negro preacher. His mother was a white Australian. If anyone is ever looking for names of coloured Australian speedway riders, keep Cyril in mind."

Len has never mentioned it to me but I think he may have ridden at a local grass track like Phil Clarke ang Jack Freeman did before taking up speedway. I thinnk he said his family used to work in a Shoe Factory before the war. Norwich was known for shoe factories at one time. Len was 90 last year so he is wearing well, as they say.

Another 90 year old who started speedway in 1947 - as did Len Read - is the Canadian Mike Tams, now living in a residential home in Toronto, Canada. Mike and his brother Les were at Eastbourne in 1947, then in the following years went on to ride on tracks in Ireland (where Les was known as Les Gordon - dropping the Tams surname). Mike then had further British spells with Newcastle (1950), Southampton (1952 and 1953) and Ringwood (1954). He later returned to Canada where, with former Stoke rider Stan Bradbury (now 80 plus and also living in Canada), he was a 'founding father' of the present Canadian speedway scene.

You're right, Bryan. Len says in his biography, "The Mighty Atom", that he first tried his hand at speedway in practice sessions at The Firs in 1945. So, no pre-War British riders then.

Edited by norbold

Bingley Cree certainly rode grass track pre war so may have tried Speedway at that time. He certainly rode for Poole in 1948. Just google his name for more info. He is about 96 now.

Bingley Cree certainly rode grass track pre war so may have tried Speedway at that time. He certainly rode for Poole in 1948. Just google his name for more info. He is about 96 now.

Bingley Cree is, as mentioned, still alive and living in Canada. One of his bikes is featured in a Canadian motorcyle museum/collection. The bike is also to be seen on a Canadian website.