British Speedway Forum
speedwaykate

Howard Cole?

Is this Howard Cole aged 3 ???

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=46556

Regards

Tim

Indeed it is, - filmed at Dudley Wood Stadium, Cradley heath, - though wearing a Brummies race jacket, as up to that time he was the Brummie mascott, known as 'Junior Cole'

The film is headed 1948, but the date is given as Jan'48, so was probably taken in Cradley's first year of 1947. -

- Confirmed, - there's no lighting, (which only became available for the 1948 season.)

Edited by britmet

If you go on the link and scroll down to the stills, the first one entitled "Boy Motorcyclist" is another film of Howard in 1950, shot in his back yard at Bilston road W/ton. This was situated between the entrances to Monmore Green Stadium, which can be seen in the background when Howard is riding round. By the '60s the track had made way for several workshops and lock up garages on the yard and many old midland riders may recall spending time there sorting out problems, or just buying spares and having a chin wag with Mr Cole senior, who seemed to be on call at any time of the day or night, (unless at a Speedway meeting!) When the Cole family moved to a new home the house at Bilston rd was converted, downstairs, to a Hairdressing salon, (for Mrs Cole) and upstairs to a flat, where many Aussie/ NZ riders would spend their season in England. With the workshops, plus the experienced Howard Cole senior on hand, this was a very convenient set up indeed. My memory is not so good now but I think I recall the names Jim Ryman and the Brown brothers, Alan & Max, maybe a few more will come to me in time. :oops: As well as helping lads with bike maintenace at these workshops, Howard Cole senior produced frames for Speedway and Grass Track and also this was the place where the Cole engine was designed and built, which in itself, was a great feat of engineering. :approve:

Howard was allocated to Cradley from Kings Lynn at the start of the 73 season. Cradley was given special dispensation to use him as reserve for six matches to see if he had recovered from his accident at Leicester in the British semi-final in June 1972 as he had not ridden since that meeting. The league match at Coventry was on Saturday 21st April, 1973 with a writeup in the Express & Star on the 24th. Howard had 4 rides, won all four and thus scored 12 points which is a maximum: he won heats 2, 6, 8 and 9, and beat Nigel Boocock in heats 6 and 8. This was Cradley's first ever British League win at Coventry, the final score being Coventry 32, Cradley 46. This was Howard's sixth and final match at reserve, he rode at number 3 on Monday the 23rd and top scored with 9 (paid 10) in Cradley's win at home against Swindon. He rode the rest of the 1973 season at number 3, and continued to do so until his retirement at the end of 1974.

Edited by multiworc

Well I think that explains how HC ever came to be riding at reserve !

Apols to AndyM, your memory was right on that point at least, - Thanks to Multiworc for sourcing the detail and explanation.

Well I think that explains how HC ever came to be riding at reserve !

Apols to AndyM, your memory was right on that point at least, - Thanks to Multiworc for sourcing the detail and explanation.

thankyou all very much for your info. my dad (bob mason) is now in contact with howard cole :D

Howard was allocated to Cradley from Kings Lynn at the start of the 73 season. Cradley was given special dispensation to use him as reserve for six matches to see if he had recovered from his accident at Leicester in the British semi-final in June 1972 as he had not ridden since that meeting. The league match at Coventry was on Saturday 21st April, 1973 with a writeup in the Express & Star on the 24th. Howard had 4 rides, won all four and thus scored 12 points which is a maximum: he won heats 2, 6, 8 and 9, and beat Nigel Boocock in heats 6 and 8. This was Cradley's first ever British League win at Coventry, the final score being Coventry 32, Cradley 46. This was Howard's sixth and final match at reserve, he rode at number 3 on Monday the 23rd and top scored with 9 (paid 10) in Cradley's win at home against Swindon. He rode the rest of the 1973 season at number 3, and continued to do so until his retirement at the end of 1974.

Well you learn something new every day! I'll have to look in my 1973 programmes to see if I was at a match when he rode at reserve. Strange for Cradley to be the beneficiaries of "special dispensation" - we always thought we were on the wrong end of such decisions!

Apologies to Andy M for doubting your memory!

Edited by salty

Howard's first meeting as reserve was in Cradley's draw at Swindon when he rode in heats 2, 6, 9, 10 and 13 to score 10 points: from a cutting from the Express & Star but with no date attached. He was also at reserve in the home win against Coventry (45 - 33) scoring 13 (paid 14), again E & S cutting and again no date. These matches would have been before the 21st April as that was the date of his last ride in the reserve berth.

Does anyone know which were the other three meetings he rode as reserve?

Howard's first meeting as reserve was in Cradley's draw at Swindon when he rode in heats 2, 6, 9, 10 and 13 to score 10 points: from a cutting from the Express & Star but with no date attached. He was also at reserve in the home win against Coventry (45 - 33) scoring 13 (paid 14), again E & S cutting and again no date. These matches would have been before the 21st April as that was the date of his last ride in the reserve berth.

Does anyone know which were the other three meetings he rode as reserve?

First programme I have for that season is Saturday 28th April against Hackney, with howard riding at number 3. In those days the programme didn't have previous results, only the next few fixtures.

According to the Peter Foster book they rode Halifax at Dudley Wood for the first home league match and lost at Monmore the night before they beat Coventry at our place. As you mentioned before they also beat Swindon at home.

So that makes the matches he rode at reserve - Home - Halifax, Swindon, Coventry

Away - Swindon, Wolves and Coventry

Howard crashed in the second half of the Hackney match (having scored 8+2 from 4 in the match) and was out injured from then on for a large chunk of the season.

Thanks for the info, Salty. However, according to the Express & Star dated 20th April: "...at Coventry tomorrow, Howard Cole makes his last appearance at reserve." It then goes on to say, "On Monday, when Cradley are at home to Swindon, Cole moves into the team proper with Pete Jarman slipping to reserve." So if Swindon at home wasn't one of his meetings at reserve, which was the sixth match he rode at reserve?

What we need is someone with the copies of the Speedway Star for March and April 1973 which would give all results, plus his match average, which, according to that same article, was high enough to top the Cradley averages.

Edited by multiworc