British Speedway Forum
PhilK

K M Videos

If anyone has any footage from or involving Mildenhall I would be interested to hear from them!

Also anything from KM Video from Weymouth, Barrow, Scunthorpe, Newcastle, Workington, Crayford or Ellesmere Port please!

Edited by PhilK

If anyone has any footage from or involving Mildenhall I would be interested to hear from them!

Also anything from KM Video from Weymouth, Barrow, Scunthorpe, Newcastle, Workington, Crayford or Ellesmere Port please!

I can definitely do you Scunthorpe, Phil. I've finally sorted out my VHS-DVD dubbing so I am expecting to finally get down to some serious copying next week. You're top of the list.

Rob McCaffery

I have asked on the forum before, but no-one really seemed interested.

I have been looking for any footage of the 1979 BLRC from Hyde Road,

when Bruce Penhall and John Louis had one awesome race which eventually

decided the title that year, with it going to Louis.

Wally Loak kindly sent me a copy of the audio commentary he did of

the meeting, which is something really special I have to add, but am still

desperately trying to locate any film of that meeting.

Moxey, got your list by the way, a huge Thanks for that. You have meetings there

that I started to remember very vividly, you lucky man.

I am going to hunt through my stash of GP video's, as I am sure I have copies

of the ones on the end of your list, where you say you're looking for better copies.

Bear with me and I'll check to see if A: I have those meetings and B: That they are

clear enough to watch.

I'll drop you an e-mail back after we get Christmas out of the way.

Merry Christmas to one and all. Stay safe and see you all in a few days no doubt.

Personally I think the racing was much better years ago than it is now. Newbies criticise people like me for saying it was, saying we’re dinosaurs. But they wouldn't know any different.

I feel despair if, say, in 15-20 years time, the newbies of today are saying that racing was better when they started watching the sport. Imagine what speedway will be like then!

Racing in the 70s was much more spectacular and unpredictable! Roger Johns in the outside dirt, overtaking two riders on 3rd and 4th bends at Wimbledon, Barry Thomas, from the back in every race without exception!!!

Racing in the 70s was much more spectacular and unpredictable! Roger Johns in the outside dirt, overtaking two riders on 3rd and 4th bends at Wimbledon, Barry Thomas, from the back in every race without exception!!!

Absolutely agree.

The trouble is, that back then, the bikes were more standardised, ie:

none of this special carburettor stuff, special internal parts (Flywheels etc),

all were pretty much as they came out of the crate. It was down to rider

ability, pure and simple. Add the fact that there was more dirt on the tracks

and you have a better product.

Now it all seems to be about how much money you can throw at the sport,

from a machinery point of view.

Back in the earlier years, it was down to a particular rider, if he had the brass

balls to drop a tooth on the rear gearing, wind the trottle on that bit more, or

for a little longer than the guy in front etc. Now its all down to who can get

the most out of his machine via tuning and those special parts.

Even the reigning World Champ has admitted in the past, he may have been

on a Jawa cased engine, but the internals were nothing like a Jawa, in fact I

believe he did say that it was more akin to a GM inside.

Get the sport back to what it should be and speedway may gain a better

outlook from the media and also claw back some of the mssing fans. Likewise

the tracks, better prepared tracks produce better racing...fact.

They don't have to be a foot deep in dirt, but a more consistant surface

all over and a sensible amount of grip and watch the difference.

I await the usual 'Dinosaur' comments that the younger fans seem to dish out

when those of us that have seen better racing in the past speak out.

Unfortunately, many of thoe that dish out that sort of comment weren't

about to see the racing in the 60's,70's & 80's, where as we were and can see

the huge differences between the era's.

A few clips on YouTube don't even start to help their arguments.

There were definitely more good meetings than bad, unlike today, which seems to

be one poor meeting after another on super slick motorways.

I can definitely do you Scunthorpe, Phil. I've finally sorted out my VHS-DVD dubbing so I am expecting to finally get down to some serious copying next week. You're top of the list.

Rob McCaffery

If you find any footage from The Shay or Hyde Road then i'd love to get my hands on copies of this. My 2 fave tracks are sadly a distant memory but would be great to see some action from either of them again.

Cheers,

Jamie

If you find any footage from The Shay or Hyde Road then i'd love to get my hands on copies of this. My 2 fave tracks are sadly a distant memory but would be great to see some action from either of them again.

Cheers,

Jamie

Hi Jamie, I wish I could help with those two but although we covered Belle Vue from time to time I have no copies and I can't remember us eveer going to the Shay. Hopefully others could help.

On a more general note I've fsaced fresh technical problems - new VCR/DVD combo won't track-into old VHS tapes.

The KM Video trail has also gone cold - I've established that Paul sold his business to his kids and retired to Spain. I'm still trying to track down the next generation but they certainly don't trade under the old name.

It's all very frustrating.

Rob McCaffery.

There are quite often old meetings for sale on e-bay.

My husband used to work for Mike Bennett who I believe has a back catalogue from MK (Both venues), Long Eaton, Rye House, Wimbledon, Newcastle, Bradford, King's Lynn, Wolverhampton, Mildenhall (Old circuit) and odd meetings from Berwick (Lough) and others.

Have managed to obtain an excellent recording of Ellesmere Port v Middlesborough from 1985 Screensport, watching it reminded me of what a great track Ellesmere was over 400 yards and plenty of room, great memories of trips there following Mildenhall came flooding back.

There are quite often old meetings for sale on e-bay.

My husband used to work for Mike Bennett who I believe has a back catalogue from MK (Both venues), Long Eaton, Rye House, Wimbledon, Newcastle, Bradford, King's Lynn, Wolverhampton, Mildenhall (Old circuit) and odd meetings from Berwick (Lough) and others.

That's good to hear. Sadly, attempts to track down the KM Video/Screen Sport archive have drawn a blank :neutral:

Rob McCaffery.

Hi Jamie, I wish I could help with those two but although we covered Belle Vue from time to time I have no copies and I can't remember us eveer going to the Shay. Hopefully others could help.

On a more general note I've fsaced fresh technical problems - new VCR/DVD combo won't track-into old VHS tapes.

The KM Video trail has also gone cold - I've established that Paul sold his business to his kids and retired to Spain. I'm still trying to track down the next generation but they certainly don't trade under the old name.

It's all very frustrating.

Rob McCaffery.

He certainly hasnt gone to Spain, he is in hertfordshire, but he has not kep any footage other tahn a few world finals and no he wont release them!

I have loads of old screen sport stuff and am spending hours and hours copying them onto dvd before the tapes go ka-put

Edited by KenB1

He certainly hasnt gone to Spain, he is in hertfordshire, but he has not kep any footage other tahn a few world finals and no he wont release them!

I have loads of old screen sport stuff and am spending hours and hours copying them onto dvd before the tapes go ka-put

Thanks Ken for confirming the worst. I got the information from the guy who made the Screen Sport programmes for him (owned the truck & equipment, directed and credited them) . I'm not surprised he ditched the archive.

As for those world finals they will be of limited quality. I voiced a couple of finals for him and it was just one camera on the terracing.

Looks like you're our best hope Ken.

Hmm - got much Rayleigh footage by the way?

Rob McCaffery.

Edited by rmc

Is there anything out there involving Sunderland Rob - we have a limited amount of footage - but not a lot.

Is there anything out there involving Sunderland Rob - we have a limited amount of footage - but not a lot.

I wouldn't know - I can only comment on video from 1982 onwards I'm afraid.

Rob McCaffery.

I wouldn't know - I can only comment on video from 1982 onwards I'm afraid.

Rob McCaffery.

Thank you very much anyway Rob. :approve::approve: