British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
wolfy

Elite League Riders Championship

Can someone explain to me the change of name for the ELRC to Elite League riders championship?

Looking at the news on the Bees website there are 7 spots available for any rider outside the elite league, if i have interpreted that correctly i do not understand how you can call it what it is.

Wolfy!!!

Edited by wolfy

Can someone explain to me the change of name for the ELRC to Elite League riders championship?

Looking at the news on the Bees website there are 7 spots available for any rider outside the elite league, if i have interpreted that correctly i do not understand how you can call it what it is.

Wolfy!!!

Now the Elite Riders Championship - which could sum it up quite nicely!

Now the Elite Riders Championship - which could sum it up quite nicely!

Doh, thought i was missing something (yes my brain). Turned into a pretty much open event then. Not sure about that, was nice to see an individual trophy for Elite League riders.

Wolfy.

The ELRC has lost it's value with rider withdrawals - the idea of including non league riders will certainly add appeal to get fans in to watch if indeed we attract some big name GP riders. I guess the date of the event and the amount of money on the table will ultimately determine who is in it. In principle a decent idea, I hope they pull it off and it doesn't backfire if they can't get a line up to do it justice.

One idea that would boost the crowd would be to let non league riders wear a race jacket of a defunct team they have ridden for in the past - give Hancock a Cradley bib, Crump an Oxford, Zagar (if not in EL) a Reading and you would certainly be adding rather than subtracting fans.

The BSPA are obviously trying to turn it into a meeting riders DO wanna take part in and win ...................

I like the idea personally. I am unsure where it is being held though?

I like the idea personally. I am unsure where it is being held though?

I agree with that, if it gives fans a once a year chance to see say Nicki P or Tomasz Gollob as an example then why wouldn't fans want to see that.

Exactly. Get the right line up and it will be like a 2nd GP in Britain :)

The ELRC has lost it's value with rider withdrawals - the idea of including non league riders will certainly add appeal to get fans in to watch if indeed we attract some big name GP riders. I guess the date of the event and the amount of money on the table will ultimately determine who is in it. In principle a decent idea, I hope they pull it off and it doesn't backfire if they can't get a line up to do it justice.

The BSPA are obviously trying to turn it into a meeting riders DO wanna take part in and win ...................

But how do they do that just by letting outside riders in?Steve has it right,it is down to money.If riders were pulling out of the meeting before why will a change of name stop them next year?Only if they stump up enough dosh will that end,not by a change of name :unsure:

Wolfy!!!

Maybe the top 7 averaged riders in the PL come a cut of date perhaps. Where will it be held?

Im sure Coventry will spin the usual yarn. I say give it to Somerset, they deserve a real bit meeting, and as the posible 7 PL riders know the track well, it might give them some sort of squeek! :wink:

Maybe the top 7 averaged riders in the PL come a cut of date perhaps. Where will it be held?

Im sure Coventry will spin the usual yarn. I say give it to Somerset, they deserve a real bit meeting, and as the posible 7 PL riders know the track well, it might give them some sort of squeek! :wink:

Demoting it already i see. :blink:

Wasn't it held at Birmingham this season? Could well be another PL track that gets it.

I thought the idea was, invites go out to all EL teams number ones, aswell as an open invite to world class riders in the GP who don't race in Britain. Seems like it could work in bringing back some prestige to the meeting and who knows if the top men in the world see a jam packed British Crowd they may want to race here more often?

I thought the idea was, invites go out to all EL teams number ones, aswell as an open invite to world class riders in the GP who don't race in Britain. Seems like it could work in bringing back some prestige to the meeting and who knows if the top men in the world see a jam packed British Crowd they may want to race here more often?

Where did you get that idea from.THOSE riders who don't ride in the EL, and will never do so, why should they be given an open invatation to our event?. Besides, those riders who stuck there grotty noses up at the EL shouldn't even be considered!!

Cookie, No 2. As Jason says, Birmingham held it last year, why shouldn't a PL club get it again??

Besides, if, the idea was to let in the 7 top averaged PL riders, it would make it interesting.

But not at Sheffield, please. I couldn't bare to see Ricky Ashworth win it. :lol:

Lets go some where else, like Somerset,a nice neutral track built for very good racing for a change!! :wink: Why Somerset?, because its the best track in the PL for racing, and one of the best tracks for racing in the country, bar Poole!! :wink:

Would much rather see EL top 9 plus N Pedersen, Crump, Hancock, Sayfutdinov etc.

No disrespect to PL there are some great riders in there.

Having say Doolan, Ashworth etc though isn't in the same league, as i said Starman you're demoting the event. After all the moaning about reserves in this years meeting to come up with that is .............. words fail me. :rolleyes: