British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
asturmer

Red Star Prague

Any idea who number 7 is in the team pic (3rd row down) on MIlan Spinka's website?

http://www.spinka.cz/ARCHIV.htm

I would guess it may be Jiri Hnidak? He toured in the early 80s.

That picture is from an earlier tour (74 or 78), Hnidak toured in 80 in a poor side which included hardly any of the riders in the pic - I would suggest it is either Jindrich Dominic (if 74) or Jiri Svoboda (if 78).

With a bit more digging about - I can confirm it's Jiri Svoboda in the 1978 tour.

Edited by frigbo

I am still convinced to this day that the bouncing Czechs of the 70,s Red Star Prague team, including riders like Zdenek Kudrna literally used the boards at turn 2 and 4 to gain more drive out of the turns! These were great meetings to watch at NL tracks. The Czechs always put up a fight and my own memories were mainly vs Canterbury at Kingsmead.

I remember the night they rode at Romford, that concrete wall held no fears for them.What a night,

That picture is from an earlier tour (74 or 78), Hnidak toured in 80 in a poor side which included hardly any of the riders in the pic - I would suggest it is either Jindrich Dominic (if 74) or Jiri Svoboda (if 78).

With a bit more digging about - I can confirm it's Jiri Svoboda in the 1978 tour.

That's cleared that one up!

I managed to name, Stancl, Kudrna, Spinka, Jan Verner, Vaclav V, Ondrasik and Hradecky (kneeling).

Cheers mate. :approve: :approve:

Cheers mate. :approve: :approve:

Svoboda was supposed to join your lot in '83 - one of those Eastern Europeans who simply never got here!

Svoboda was supposed to join your lot in '83 - one of those Eastern Europeans who simply never got here!

Svoboda was the Brummie that never was, supporters who have the original programmes will see him printed to ride in the team ?

Svoboda was the Brummie that never was, supporters who have the original programmes will see him printed to ride in the team ?

Yes, I have some Brummies' programmes with the elusive Mr Svoboda declared in the Birmingham team.

Edited by frigbo

I was pleased to see such interest still in the Red Star team, and this forum always gives me new information and feedback from you budding speedway historians out there!! Some people posting in years gone by, obviously do a lot of research to help the rest of us. What would we do without British Speedway Forum!

I’m sure I made a mistake now suggesting my photo’s were taken at Mildenhall in 1980, and believe it was in fact 1978. After looking at my pics and comparing it with the team photo - and doing a little research.

Here is the number 7 J. Svoboda the man himself in action behind Melvin Taylor.

Svoboda Here in action.

Also, I think the number 6 kneeling down is Z. Kudrna. I happen to have several shots taken from behind in one heat, and under the race bib of the number 6, I can just make out part of his name.

Kurdrna Here

So I would say the team shot is:

(L/R) 1. J. Stancl, 2. Milan Spinka, 3. Vaclav Verner, 4. Jan Verner, 5. P.Ondrasik, 6. Z. Kudrna, 7. J. Svoboda.

Hope that is right and clarifies everything.

Hi Jim, number 6 is in fact another ex Brummies, Ladislav Hradecky, Zdenek is 2nd left in his trademark floppy hat.

Oh okay CH, my apologies about the team shot.

I am sure that is him though in action as it say's so on his leathers. Also my earlier shot shows number 6 which I think is your man. Anyway, I'll print up everything I have from that meeting and hopefully if Vaclav turns up at Stafford in April with PC as normal, I'll get him to go through them (and maybe sign a few some copies..) for me. Been interesting thread though

Re the Red Star Team from the 80,s can anyone give me any info on Ladislav Hradecky???

When the Demon joined the Brummies in 1980 Joe Thurley was offered Ladi as an up and coming young rider by the Czech authorities, this to possibly use Zdenek as an experiened hand and help his career in England?

Ladislav turned out to be a disspointment though, some called him a poor mans Finn Jensen, he never settled at Perry Barr thus averaging around 3-4 all season for the Brummies.

I think from the top of my head his best performance was at home to Halifax in a 57 or 59 point win, rememberd for a horrific crash in heat one where Ray Wilson and Mike Lohmann suffered injuries................(I think) :unsure:

http://wwosbackup.proboards.com/index.cgi?...amp;thread=1280

Top score was 7+1 in the KOC V Sheffield

When the Demon joined the Brummies in 1980 Joe Thurley was offered Ladi as an up and coming young rider by the Czech authorities, this to possibly use Zdenek as an experiened hand and help his career in England?

Ladislav turned out to be a disspointment though, some called him a poor mans Finn Jensen, he never settled at Perry Barr thus averaging around 3-4 all season for the Brummies.

I think from the top of my head his best performance was at home to Halifax in a 57 or 59 point win, rememberd for a horrific crash in heat one where Ray Wilson and Mike Lohmann suffered injuries................(I think) :unsure:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on Hradrecky. I remember meeting Mike Lohmann at Iwade speedway when his son was practising as a junior. Mike showed me his arm injury which marked the end of his career. He was also praising Gordon Kennett as the best inside line rider ever!!