British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
i love tractors

Tomasz Gollob

Mama... you didn't really get my point. It wasn't to show that Poland is the only country where problems like that happen. But is the only speedway country where these delays are considered to be something natural. If you read Mat's post you will see that it looks like 'oh, they were all eventually paid, so in fact nothing happened'. This isn't right attitude. At least this is the way I understood it...

OK - but the point is that in Poland a lot is changing! For now in Extraleague, but in few years in another leagues also, there is no place for statement "they were all eventually paid" - the clubs have to paid all their debts till the end of October - if not, they don't get the licences for next year! The clubs from 1st and 2nd leagues also shouldn't have any debts at the and of October but eventually they could sign the agreements with the riders with the paing schedule!

After you leave Poland you started to complain for all things connected with Poland and not to see any problems in another countries (especially Australia :P) - try to look fair at the problems in various countries! Try to ask ex Smederna riders about their money or try to ask Tomasz Gollob or another Vastervik riders about their money and paying schedules!

Edited by Mama

I am not critcising Poland but i agree with Dexter that it is not right that riders like Lee Richardson should wait months and months before they get paid monies that are owed to them.

That is not right - do you agree?

It may be not right but "they all got eventually paid". :D:lol: Looks like Polish have no problem with this, at least the ones on this forum... Instead of admitting it is not ok they do their usual "look what others do". So there is no problem because others do something else. :D

On the other hand... riders should sign agreements that protect their interests. Such as "payments should be transferred into selected account within let's say 10 working days" or something like that.

Swedes seem to have problems these days too as Mama mentioned. Looks like disease which originally had its roots in Poland in 90-ties, is now spreading throughout speedway world.

For now in Extraleague, but in few years in another leagues also, there is no place for statement "they were all eventually paid" - the clubs have to paid all their debts till the end of October - if not, they don't get the licences for next year!

Theoretically... if it was used in practise, Wroclaw and Czestochowa would now not be in Extraleague.

Edited by Dexter

I am not critcising Poland but i agree with Dexter that it is not right that riders like Lee Richardson should wait months and months before they get paid monies that are owed to them.

That is not right - do you agree?

Of course I totally agree - it is not right! And most Poles also agree with that ... The problem is Dexter, after he left Poland, started to blame his native country for all World problems! The same here - he wrote Poland is ONLY country not paying riders at time - and you rather agree such statement is stupid! Let's read next Dexter's post:

Swedes seem to have problems these days too as Mama mentioned. Looks like disease which originally had its roots in Poland in 90-ties, is now spreading throughout speedway world.

Of course!! And World economic crisis also started in Poland! Dexter - a lot of Poles know you hate your native country, but showing this at the international forum is rather stupid thing ...

As a general point can I just say what an interesting article that is!

I'd be interested to see a similar league table for British sports people and it would be even more interesting to see how many people would need to be included on such a list before a British speedway rider features (who presumably would be one of Harris, Nicholls, Richardson or Woffinden...)

For the Swedishly challenged, thanks to Google;

Gollob want to take gold

Tomasz Gollob is 38 years but has no plans to quit.

Third in 2008 and runner-up last year, maybe three-stage rocket Tomasz Gollob lift 2010

Polish speedway driver Tomasz Gollob is 38 years. But he is far from being calculated. He has several World Cup medals, it is only the noblest denomination missing. Perhaps 2010 years when he finally take World Cup gold.

- Third place 2008, second 2009 ... It is taken only one step, "said the Pole to the Speedway Racing.

From the Swedish horizon, you can get the idea that Speedway is huge in Poland.

So it is not. Speedway - zuzlow in Polish - is the fourth largest sports and running most of the smaller cities.

But most Poles know Tomasz Gollob. 38-year-old from the industrial city of Bydgoszcz has long dominated the Polish speedway scene.

Meeting by the River

We meet in the city centre, at a restaurant on the river Brda. As usual, he joined by his manager Tomasz Gaszynski.

Gollob understand English very well, but he talks less and prefer to formulate their response in Polish. He is relaxed and at times very funny.

- I started with the speedway when I was 16 years, but drove a motorcycle from an early age. Before I went over to the speedway, I was pretty good in motocross and motorcycle. I am still practicing motocross, "says Tomasz Gollob.

How much speedway train you? There is talk of running almost every day.

- No, the season I'm training someone once a week. But I mean constantly testing new technologies, motors and so on.

You may use the track in Bydgoszcz even though you are competing for Gorzow?

- Yes, how much I want. Which is where I started and it is the track in my hometown. I'm not running for the club is not just an economic issue. I had a need to change the environment, says Gollob.

In Sweden, in 2010 he makes his tenth season in Västervik, as highlighted by a commemorative event in the summer. In England, he drove to Ipswich, but it belongs to the past.

- I learned a lot over the years in England, especially on different tracks. Where I won everything possible to win, became the champion with the team and was the best driver on the cut list. There was nothing left to strive for. At the same time however, only the Grand Prix series and the leagues in Poland and Sweden. It can not be too many competitions. I want to be at home sometimes.

Are you married?

- No, but I live with the same woman for many years. Her name Brygida. We have a daughter. She is eleven years old and named Victoria.

Although Thomas Gollob completing 39 years in April, he has no thoughts of submitting the shoe to towed metal recovery.

- I run with ten-year plans and has just started a new ... Seriously, I think many drivers stop too soon. A guy like Greg Hancock should be able to hold on until he is 45 years. Least.

How do you see your competitors?

- I would not tell them I'm running against.

Drivers Hans Nielsen and Tony Rickardsson, then?

- The sky has many stars, but those two shone brighter than all others. Tony was the one I looked at the extra care. He always had the best stuff and trying to constantly improve themselves.

In terms of the team World Cup, World Junior Championships in Poland and the league is the world's leading speedway nation. Yet, you just got up an individual world champion - Jerzy Szczakiel 1973rd Why?

- Since the mid-1970s, we've been behind in the competition material. Zenon Plech was certainly able to win the World Cup, but then got the drivers from the western front fyrventilare ... It is only in recent years we have caught up and got as good material as any other.

Many believe that you could win the World Cup, but that you have been fragmented and unfocused.

- I disagree with that. It is a matter of inferior stuff.

What are you looking for världsmästarämne the next generation of Polish speedway rider?

- There are many, but I do not want to talk about my competitors.

The more want to talk about Tomasz Gollob. Do not count out veteran in this year's World Cup series. 38 years is no age at a speedway rider.

Ivan Mauger took his sixth and last world title 1979th Then he was 40th

- Third place 2008, second 2009 ... It is taken only one step, "said Tomasz Gollob.

Footnote: The interview published in full in the coming issue of Speedway Racing.

Tommy Rander

Are you married?

- No, but I live with the same woman for many years. Her name Brygida. We have a daughter. She is eleven years old and named Victoria.

Misunderstanding or a mistake in translationg but he's been married since 1997.

Could have been something with the translation. See here:

Speedway - zuzlow in Polish

Should be ZUZEL apparently. ZUZLOW makes no sense.

Edited by Dexter

Well working on those figures given above, for Sweden and Poland and

basing it on scoring the combined 251 points, that worked out at £2290.836

per point.

As I said, I have no axe to grind with Tomasz, if he has the nounce to negotiate

that kind of money and the Swedes and Poles pay it, thats their look out.

But I do agree, how can any club expect to stay in business paying that

kind of money to any rider is beyond me.

I think Mama beat me to it, but Polish clubs can afford to pay wages like this, to superstars like Gollob. It's just like football in this country. They get really big crowds, and presumably great sponsorship from the superb press and media coverage they're given in Poland. Therefore they live within their means, and if that means they can pay the likes of Gollob a lot of cash, then so be it.

Personally, I think it's superb for speedway. These guys are seriously talented, and in the case of Gollob, thoroughly entertaining. He more than deserves his money. Poland is the speedway nation - to anyone who's never been before, I cannot praise it highly enough for speedway.

I think Mama beat me to it, but Polish clubs can afford to pay wages like this, to superstars like Gollob. It's just like football in this country. They get really big crowds, and presumably great sponsorship from the superb press and media coverage they're given in Poland. Therefore they live within their means, and if that means they can pay the likes of Gollob a lot of cash, then so be it.

Personally, I think it's superb for speedway. These guys are seriously talented, and in the case of Gollob, thoroughly entertaining. He more than deserves his money. Poland is the speedway nation - to anyone who's never been before, I cannot praise it highly enough for speedway.

As you quoted me, I'll try and explain what I mean't.

No club, whether they be from Poland, the UK or anywhere else can sustain

the level of wages being paid, as per Poland right now.

There have been a few Polish clubs that have been sailing very close to the

wind, late payments, or 11th hour payments to riders, to enable them to

get their licence for the next season. At least one Polish club, who's name I

cannot remember off hand, but it is on this forum somewhere, who went bust

and have re-invented themselves under another name.

Its all well and good saying they can afford the money being paid to the top

riders, due to sponsors etc, but what happens when these sponsors suddenly

hit the wall and no longer have the funds to back these big paying clubs.

You have to budget accordingly and I don't see or read any evidence of this from

Polish or Swedish clubs. Just because they are managing to meet the demands of

the top riders at present, doesn't mean that they will continue to be able to.

Sooner or later they will sink and be no more. The bubble will burst.

I don't know the exact details, but is that now two Swedish clubs that have

gone bust and are no more?

What price Polish clubs going the same way?

Its simple economics. Take my hobby, WW2 re-enactment. In Northern Ireland,

all the big groups have been demanding thousands to do a few hours at a show.

I warned them 2 years ago, that the gravy train would halt very soon. The credit

crunch means that the money available will suddenly stop being there.

Well, this year its happened. We now have groups going down the tubes, why?

Because they didn't listen, whilst my group only charged for expenses, up to a

maximum of £300, we have shows to do this year, whilst the others won't have

anything that will pay them. We also put our money into the bank and left it there.

Resulting in us having funds to enable us to pay our Public Liability Insurance for

the next 2 years at least.

Get greedy or chuck big money at something long enough and it will go very very

wrong eventually. My phone is ringing off the hook from event organisers that

wouldn't even give us the time of day for 2 years, now they want to book us as

we only charge for expenses. They won't get us booked, as we are loyal to those

that used us previously, if we have any spare dates, we'll look into it again, but

at the present time we just don't have the dates available.

The moral of all of that is.... Use your money wisely, or you will end up with

nothing and go bust in a big way. Polish and Swedish speedway cannot sustain

that kind of spending and not suffer for it. Pay the top guys big bucks, but remember

that the slightly lesser riders that you ignored to be able to pay the big money

will suddenly seem very appealing later on, when you can no longer afford Gollob,

Crump etc and they may just stick two fingers up at you when you come calling.

Thats why I believe that British Speedway is going in the right direction as far as

the GP riders and greedy ones are concerned, we use our 'Lesser' riders and

have a good league, OK, maybe not the best in the World anymore, but at least

we're not on the verge of going bust and the league possibly collapsing.

Too many people seem to dismiss the idea that Poland and Sweden are in trouble

as far as speedway clubs go. Do so at your peril.