British Speedway Forum

12 rider formats I've seen, either some riders don't meet each other or some riders face each other twice.

12 rider formats I've seen, either some riders don't meet each other or some riders face each other twice.

That's right. The GB Under 15s the other year at Buxton had this sort of format. And most infamously of all was that shocking format for the Bronze Helmet in '08 at Weymouth...

The more one thinks about this and looks at the line-ups the clearer it becomes that there should surely have been just two semis - which then could've been proper 16 rider 20 heat meetings...

That's right. The GB Under 15s the other year at Buxton had this sort of format. And most infamously of all was that shocking format for the Bronze Helmet in '08 at Weymouth...

The more one thinks about this and looks at the line-ups the clearer it becomes that there should surely have been just two semis - which then could've been proper 16 rider 20 heat meetings...

While I agree the 12 rider format isn't ideal, four riders are getting their chance to compete in the competition who wouldn't if there were two semi finals. That in my eyes is a positive for this format.

I am surprised there isn't a round further North (somewhere like Buxton) for the more Northern based riders. A round at Plymouth or Weymouth, Mildenhall and then Buxton would seem fairer but I guess the rounds have to be held at the tracks who offer their services?

I'm away for the weekend but hopefully I can get back in time to make it over to Mildenhall, especially with five KL Young Stars in the lineup :shock:

As an aside, does anyone have anymore info on Luke Chessell? Any relation to the former Swindon rider Gary Chessell? Not a name I have seen mentioned before.

As an aside, does anyone have anymore info on Luke Chessell? Any relation to the former Swindon rider Gary Chessell? Not a name I have seen mentioned before.

He's his son. He was just starting out at Scunthorpe the December before last as he was riding the mini-track the same day as SB and me. He has since ridden for Buxton at IoW.

He's his son. He was just starting out at Scunthorpe the December before last as he was riding the mini-track the same day as SB and me. He has since ridden for Buxton at IoW.

No, Luke is Martin Chessell's son. Martin rode for Arena Essex among other clubs. Gary is his (ie Luke's) uncle...

There appears to be an amended list on the BSPA site posted today but the Mildenhall field hasn't changed. FIVE KLYS in that field of 12, btw... :shock:

The bigger question to me (with a personal interest in terms of getting the race card correct..) is: what's this 12 rider format all about and what is it..!!! :neutral:

Also have asked before but why on earth isn't Marc Owen named in any of the semis...? There are a number of riders with far less experience...

I believe you have to be 16yrs old to compete in this competition Mark is still 15..Obviously on ability he should be in it..I think I am correct with this being the reason ?

Edited by waco

I believe you have to be 16yrs old to compete in this competition Mark is still 15..Obviously on ability he should be in it..I think I am correct with this being the reason ?

It cant be the reason as there are other 15 year olds it in!

Hope it does not rain next weekend :blink:

Weymouth and Plymouth can only ride on Friday or Saturday nights and the final is on the Friday 16th April at Lakeside lets hope there is no rain :oops:

No, Luke is Martin Chessell's son. Martin rode for Arena Essex among other clubs. Gary is his (ie Luke's) uncle...

I thought Luke was Mark Chessell's son.

To compete in the FIM World U21 you have to be a certain age, i think thats 17.

the 250 gold trophy coming up in June July is 14-17 yrs.

It cant be the reason as there are other 15 year olds it in!

I have just noticed Ashly Morris is in it,,so you are right Gordon,,why the hell isnt Marc in it i dont get it at all...

So with t the qualifying rounds taking place this weekend, has anyone answered the questions yet... what is the race format for the 12-rider line-up? Who decided on the riders (it's correct, that age can't be the factor as Ashley Morris is included). Also, there has to be at least one more late change with Ben Taylor injured.

So with t the qualifying rounds taking place this weekend, has anyone answered the questions yet... what is the race format for the 12-rider line-up? Who decided on the riders (it's correct, that age can't be the factor as Ashley Morris is included). Also, there has to be at least one more late change with Ben Taylor injured.

It's a 13 rider, 13 heat format... details of which posted on here have been consigned to oblivion due to the lost Easter weekend!!!