British Speedway Forum
willp

Heathens Announce New Signing

Jayne I admire Buxton for bringing on the youngsters like Scunny, Whatever Buzz is paid is of no business to me or any fan, but with having so many youngsters I believe Rob Godfrey made the right decision to bring Buzz into the team. Our youngsters need an older rider to pass on experience lacked and we were well below the team average.

what you pay all yours £10 a point and 10 pence a mile then? think not :rolleyes:

Buxton have never paid big money out unlike a lot of other clubs.

Which is what Rob Godfrey and Malcolm Vasey tried to fight for at the last AGM...and they started the season way below the points limit. Scunthorpe Saints - an all British team - aren't doing too badly... considering the multi national riders they're up against... but then again the promoter doesn't just put his hands to his wallet - Rob Godfrey works hard on the physical jobs required to make his teams successful and give British riders a chance...

"multi national"..?

How many teams in the NL have more than one rider not from the UK in their side..?

Surely it's only Buxton isn't it..? And "multi national" implies also loads of other countries are allowed riders in this division - they're not... With the demise of the UK-based Kiwis, am I not right in thinking that all "foreign" riders this year are Aussies except for that former long-time Scunny rider (now at Weymouth..) who's South African.

The debate about Aussie riders riding in the NL is a bit smoke and mirrors to me... :neutral:

Nobody is slagging him off, it's the circumstances in which has been brought in, I suspect you knew that and just wanted to stir though.

No, Ben, I got involved in this discussion because of the Anti-Aussie invective and abuse that was being thrown about. I've never read so many uninformed posts as on here - half of you don't even know what the League is called! There are half a dozen young Aussies in the NATIONAL LEAGUE - less than ten per cent. Some of them are assets of higher divisions, others are just giving it a go and trying to live their dreams. All of them deserve the chance to ride, how about giving them a FAIR GO, as is allowed under the rules? If you want to lift the points limit for Overseas riders then by all means do so - via the rule book. Don't make stupid assertions or set ridiculous values purely because of some envious streak or downright ignorance, these are kids here, not GP Superstars - yet!

There's always been a strong Aussie involvement in UK Speedway; we showed you how to do it, remember? Some of the strongest supporters of British Speedway happen to be Australians and New Zealanders. We are all interested in making British Speedway strong - I'd love to see the Tests again, and when I was over last year I was most impressed with the level of involvement and enthiusiasm in the GB v ANZACS series from both sides - alas not from the General Public! Now a few blinkered individuals are trying to stir up racially-motivated dissent without even attempting to go about it the right way, but then its always been easier to whinge rather than to do something constructive. Get more involved, why don't you? Don't Dream - DO!

Edited by BigFatDave

No, Ben, I got involved in this discussion because of the Anti-Aussie invective and abuse that was being thrown about. I've never read so many uninformed posts as on here - half of you don't even know what the League is called! There are half a dozen young Aussies in the NATIONAL LEAGUE - less than ten per cent. Some of them are assets of higher divisions, others are just giving it a go and trying to live their dreams. All of them deserve the chance to ride, how about giving them a FAIR GO, as is allowed under the rules? If you want to lift the points limit for Overseas riders then by all means do so - via the rule book. Don't make stupid assertions or set ridiculous values purely because of some envious streak or downright ignorance, these are kids here, not GP Superstars - yet!

There's always been a strong Aussie involvement in UK Speedway; we showed you how to do it, remember? Some of the strongest supporters of British Speedway happen to be Australians and New Zealanders. We are all interested in making British Speedway strong - I'd love to see the Tests again, and when I was over last year I was most impressed with the level of involvement and enthiusiasm in the GB v ANZACS series from both sides - alas not from the General Public! Now a few blinkered individuals are trying to stir up racially-motivated dissent without even attempting to go about it the right way, but then its always been easier to whinge rather than to do something constructive. Get more involved, why don't you? Don't Dream - DO!

Well said! I agree 100%

"multi national"..?

How many teams in the NL have more than one rider not from the UK in their side..?

Surely it's only Buxton isn't it..? And "multi national" implies also loads of other countries are allowed riders in this division - they're not... With the demise of the UK-based Kiwis, am I not right in thinking that all "foreign" riders this year are Aussies except for that former long-time Scunny rider (now at Weymouth..) who's South African.

The debate about Aussie riders riding in the NL is a bit smoke and mirrors to me... :neutral:

Actually Parsloes both Nick and Robert have British Passports the same as you (I presume) and I.

Actually Parsloes both Nick and Robert have British Passports the same as you (I presume) and I.

I think its only the Mighty HORNETS, with Todd and Mark, who have more than one visitor from another planet in their team.

I think its only the Mighty HORNETS, with Todd and Mark, who have more than one visitor from another planet in their team.

Well we have got two aswell now, looks like no one will like us now - ah well nothing new there :wink:

Hmm, which is why I said "not from the UK"... I think we can say as they've lived in Australia prior to coming over here to ride (and very welcome they are IMHO...) they were not "from the UK"... I never said (as I couldn't possibly know!) what style of passport they carried!!

Jayne: in case you've not noticed I'm on your side in this 'debate'!!

Please don't think that there is any anti-aussie invective here. It is all about the rules and the utilisation of them by promoters.

I have no other particular issues with your post - for heavens sake, surely all any of us asks is for good speedway to thrive, wherever it takes place? It must, however be fully understood that we here in the UK fear greatly for the future of the sport in this country due principally to what we perceive as thoughtless formulation and haphazard administration of the rules, especially in the NL. British riders that succeed do so in spite of the system rather than because of it. It is a natural reaction that we here are going to be protective of new, up and coming young britsh riders. In exactly the same way Dave that you are quite rightly protective of your youngsters were they to be subjected to anti-aussie invective.

So is the BSPA the right organisation to administer the NL or even to administer the sport in the UK at all? Should the name be changed to the 'SPA'? Thoughts welcomed.

Edited by ancient mariner

Well we have got two aswell now, looks like no one will like us now - ah well nothing new there :wink:

Respected - and Feared! Just like the old days!!

Wow, i am really surprised with some of the Heathens fans response to this. Some of you forget, James is only sixteen and in his second season of speedway, he needs to be given time to build up his confidence and riding ability, but the promotion have obviously not took note of this and sacked a young rider at a time. Who know what will happen with James, but i really hope he carries on.

And the excuse of blaming the rules?, get off it!!!, the BSPA didn't force you to make the change, it was your own promotions decision.

So is the BSPA the right organisation to administer the NL or even to administer the sport in the UK at all? Should the name be changed to the 'SPA'? Thoughts welcomed.

With the way the names get changed every five minutes would SPA Stick?

Wow, i am really surprised with some of the Heathens fans response to this. Some of you forget, James is only sixteen and in his second season of speedway, he needs to be given time to build up his confidence and riding ability, but the promotion have obviously not took note of this and sacked a young rider at a time. Who know what will happen with James, but i really hope he carries on.

And the excuse of blaming the rules?, get off it!!!, the BSPA didn't force you to make the change, it was your own promotions decision.

No one is forgeting that james is only 16 and that this is only his second season in racing, beleive me having seen every heathens meeting this season mostly from the pits i know how hard Sarj has tried and the effort he puts in, and i am genuinly gutted for the kid, i also have no doubts that he has a huge future in the sport, but what your not understanding is that 14 years the heathens have been without a team and in all honesty imo this is our last throw of the dice to try and make the council sit up and take notice and help us find a piece of land to build our own track. Any publicity we can get is crucial as is keeping the huge crowds that we have been getting, to get these two things we need a team that is competative and winning meetings. Our promoters as i said in a previous post did what they think is best for the heathens and they did it without breaking any rules at all.

In an ideal world we would win the league with a bunch of english kids all of whom go on to race for team gb in the gps and world team cups, but then again in an ideal world we will beat germany 6-0 in the footy on sunday and while im watching it Amanda Holden will come and serve me my dinner but unfortunatley we dont live in an ideal world :sad:

Good luck to young Sarj where ever he ends up racing and good luck to Micky on his debut tomorrow night.

It is sad that James has lost his place, but if he is not performing then it really is irrelevant what nationality he is. I know in an ideal world we would all like to see shedloads of Brits coming through the system but it is just not happening. Bear in mind though, in the Premier League Jake Anderson of Birmingham and Australia was replaced by British Kyle Newman and Ricky Wallace of Kings Lynn and Australia was replaced by British Darren Mallett. Swings and roundabouts spring to mind.