British Speedway Forum
Main Man

Newport Wessex Bus Hornets V Weymouth

Hornets 53 Wildcats 35...........

..........but that in no way tells any of the story.

Farcical start to the meeting with the track resembling a lunar landscape and riders falling off left right and centre. Fair play to Weymouth who certainly adapted better to the conditions before Webster's crash. After a long delay while Webster went to hospital the meeting improved massively and there were some great races. Kyle Newman and Tom Young were brilliant value for money in the second half of the meeting as were Byron Bekker and Richard Andrews for the Wildcats.

Heat 12 will go down as the best (and surely unintentional!) team riding I have ever seen by Tom Young

JT.

Scorers

Newport 53

Todd Kurtz 3 3 3 1 2' - 12+1(5)

Mark Jones 1 2'3 2' - 8+2(4)

Tim Webster F X - 0(2)

Tony Atkin 3 2 R 3 - 8(4)

Kyle Newman X 3 3 3 3 - 12(5)

Tom Young R F 3 F 3 - 6(5)

James White-Williams X 1 2'3 2' - 8+2(5)

Weymouth Wildcats 35

Byron Bekker 2 3 2 2 F - 9(5)

R/R Terry Day

Tom Brown 1'1' X X - 2+2(4)

Gary Cottham 2 1 2 1 0 - 6(5)

James Cockle 3 X F - 3(3)

Richard Andrews 3 1 2 1'1 1 1 - 10+1(7)

Luke Chessell 0 2'2'1 0 F - 5+2(6)

Edited by JT

Worst track of the season imo spec from standing at mid point of bend 1 and 2, can't defend the promotion on this 1 shocking wtf wer they thinking,well done to weymouth though coped so much better than most of the hornets in the early stages. Todd was immense an kyle was even better, well done to them, sensational. All made for an eventfull meeting. Well done 2 both teams.

Disgraceful track, and both teams deserve medals for trying to make a go of it. How someone didn't get badly hurt I don't know. May well affect the attendance on Sunday; Newport have blown yet another golden opportunity to promote the sport to a wider public.

How can the Newport promotion expect to encourage more people back to Queensway Meadows when they can't even get the basics right, the track was a total disgrace last night! How the hell the NL boys got through the meeting without any serious injuries is amazing, well done to both teams for giving 110% in totally unacceptable conditions. Chris Slabon came out for a practice at the end of the meeting, had a few laps of bucking and rearing, nearly got spat off every time he came around bends 1 and 2 and decided to call it a day - Newport Speedway need to get someone in who knows how to prepare a track, and fast.......The Welsh Open should be interesting, or an embarrassment ! :angry:

How can the Newport promotion expect to encourage more people back to Queensway Meadows when they can't even get the basics right, the track was a total disgrace last night! How the hell the NL boys got through the meeting without any serious injuries is amazing, well done to both teams for giving 110% in totally unacceptable conditions. Chris Slabon came out for a practice at the end of the meeting, had a few laps of bucking and rearing, nearly got spat off every time he came around bends 1 and 2 and decided to call it a day - Newport Speedway need to get someone in who knows how to prepare a track, and fast.......The Welsh Open should be interesting, or an embarrassment ! :angry:

Did you see him on his second spin? He flew around and did'nt seem to bother about the ruts, so the faster you go the better.

Newport Speedway need to get someone in who knows how to prepare a track, and fast

Newport Speedway have people who can prepare the track. Unfortunately these people are never allowed to do the job without interference from assorted 'experts'

Newport Speedway have people who can prepare the track. Unfortunately these people are never allowed to do the job without interference from assorted 'experts'

Perhaps you could enlighten us who the assorted experts are and more importantly who can prepare a track. For as long as i can remember the track has always been crap, and with all respect, probably going a lot longer than you Vince

Perhaps you could enlighten us who the assorted experts are and more importantly who can prepare a track. For as long as i can remember the track has always been crap, and with all respect, probably going a lot longer than you Vince

The track will never be great all the time it has to run in the daytime but it generally used to produce decent racing. I also can't say anything about this year as I haven't been near the place.

However when the Mallets took over they got new shale in on advice from Colin Meridith and it seems clear that the shale didn't suit the track. Dixie told them that before they got it.

Dixie and Peter Brooks have been there and doing the track for a lot of years. they know what works best and what doesn't. Last year everybody from the Promotion down were allowed more input into how the track was prepped than Dixie. he just eneded up doing the work to try and repair it half the time.

Dixie can prep Newport as well as anybody and far better than most. Too many chiefs and not enough indians by far imo last year.

The track will never be great all the time it has to run in the daytime but it generally used to produce decent racing. I also can't say anything about this year as I haven't been near the place.

However when the Mallets took over they got new shale in on advice from Colin Meridith and it seems clear that the shale didn't suit the track. Dixie told them that before they got it.

Dixie and Peter Brooks have been there and doing the track for a lot of years. they know what works best and what doesn't. Last year everybody from the Promotion down were allowed more input into how the track was prepped than Dixie. he just eneded up doing the work to try and repair it half the time.

Dixie can prep Newport as well as anybody and far better than most. Too many chiefs and not enough indians by far imo last year.

Well said vince i couldnt have put it better myself. Hope your all doing well.

Well Vince we dont always agree ,but with this post you are spot on, Well Done

I was in Cardiff and popped down to this one expecting a good old NL night.icon_lol.gif

After being there 1hour with only 4 heats raced I wished I had stayed in Cardiff, the condition of the track was one of the worst I have ever seen and if I was a manager I would have pulled my lads out of it.

Fair play to the lads for fighting on but it was obvious they all hated it and the accident was waiting to happen.

The four of us immediately decided to give the Welsh open a miss and to be honest not sure I will ever return.

2hrs 45 mins rolleyes.gif for a 15 heat meeting is way too long and I could see the light running out.

If you sort the track, sort the floodlights and sort the drinks queue (have to stand in line with everyone getting hot food) Then you will have a nice little set up which should encourage more spectators.

Anyway had my rant I'm off icon_smile_tongue.gif

Edited by BossMan

Unfortunately I don't believe the chiefs:indians ratio is any different this year :(

Edited by Garbin