British Speedway Forum

Re the Fisher-Howe incident.My view from in line with the start,the referee was right behind me,was that Fisher was out of control with the lift he got.I dont believe that it was intentional at all.I think Fisher should have been exc/disq.As has been said,Howe was the innocent victim of the incident.

However,my mate sat next to me thought the referee got it right!

So it all comes down to our own interpretation.At the end of the day,its the referees opinon that really matters.

from where i stood exit of turn 2 fisher tried to pass on the inside of turn 2 picked up unwanted drive which then rocketed/lifted him towards howe racing incident

Firstly - Congratulations to the winners Birmingham.

To add to 'all' the moans about the Prog (haven't read it yet but the mistakes for the line-ups for some of the 'Second Semi-Final' heats are inexcusable) which was advertised at £4, the Car Park (which was advertised at £2) and the Stand (which as far as I am aware wasn't advertised at £2 extra), I also thought the presentation for a major event was lacklustre. Why no 'Centre Green' Presenter. After all we had David Rowe doing the occasional interview (great timing by the way in interviewing Ivan Mauger as the riders came out for the 'First Semi' heat 8, when it surely would have been better to wait until the interval, two races later? :unsure:) . The P.A. on the back straight wasn't perfect either.

Other than that, generally the racing was poor. Follow my leader stuff mainly. Best move of the day was Rene Bach, going from last to first, only for him to be cruely stopped by a faulty air filter.

How does a faulty air filter stop an engine?

How does a faulty air filter stop an engine?

It got sucked into the carb apparently?? Or something along those lines.

Firstly - Congratulations to the winners Birmingham.

To add to 'all' the moans about the Prog (haven't read it yet but the mistakes for the line-ups for some of the 'Second Semi-Final' heats are inexcusable) which was advertised at £4, the Car Park (which was advertised at £2) and the Stand (which as far as I am aware wasn't advertised at £2 extra), I also thought the presentation for a major event was lacklustre. Why no 'Centre Green' Presenter. After all we had David Rowe doing the occasional interview (great timing by the way in interviewing Ivan Mauger as the riders came out for the 'First Semi' heat 8, when it surely would have been better to wait until the interval, two races later? :unsure:) . The P.A. on the back straight wasn't perfect either.

Other than that, generally the racing was poor. Follow my leader stuff mainly. Best move of the day was Rene Bach, going from last to first, only for him to be cruely stopped by a faulty air filter.

I felt ripped off too.

Im a panther supporter and its usually £1 to park so why £2 for this meeting? The prog was a joke, and to charge to sit in the grandstand was a complete p*** take!!

The PA was next to useless so I complaind twice once to a member of staff and once to MR Frost. Didnt anyone think to check it before the meeting NO!!!

Be a long time before Im back for this meeting.

Disappointed Newcastle missed out on a place in the final. Especially after Rene had done all the hard work to get out in front before his bike let him down.

If he hadn't had a failure we would actually have gone through as winners of 1st semi - ahead of Birmingham.

Track was shocking for the first dozen or so races - I think I only saw 1 pass after the 1st and 2nd bends in the those races. At least it was much better for the final - and there were some good races in that.

I was also disappointed by the racecard in my £4 programme - we had to do enough writing for the final without having to change half the heats in the 2nd semi too.

On the plus side it was good that when there was a delay in one set of semi's (due to falls/injuries) they switched back to the other semi to prevent a delay.

And of course - well done to Birmingham

The highlighted line was the be all and end all of the meeting.

The only real race of the night was Rene's now infamous EF ride.

I understand that Peterborough only had a podium and trophy for the winners too,so didn't recognize the efforts of the second and third place teams, if that was the case it was a bit of a poor show when put together with all the extra charges imposed on the meeting.

The highlighted line was the be all and end all of the meeting.

The only real race of the night was Rene's now infamous EF ride.

was the only rider on show who showed some trackcraft

edit and sam masters who looks like he has the balls to go far in the sport

Edited by hans fan

The prog was a joke

What company produced the programme?

I felt ripped off too.

Im a panther supporter and its usually £1 to park so why £2 for this meeting? The prog was a joke, and to charge to sit in the grandstand was a complete p*** take!!

The PA was next to useless so I complaind twice once to a member of staff and once to MR Frost. Didnt anyone think to check it before the meeting NO!!!

Be a long time before Im back for this meeting.

And to top it all off Peterborough Speedway/BSPA were too penny pinching to have a full podium presentation.

This is the first 'Fours' meeting I have been to, where only the winners were presented to the crowd, and given trophies and medals, so Edinburgh and Somerset supporters in attendance were denied the chance to congratulate their teams for making the rostrum. All the rider momento's were handed to the team managers at the managers meeting prior to racing, to give to their riders, and not formally presented.

It's not as though there isn't an allowance for expenses like this for the staging club, because there is..................pretty poor show for a major event if you ask me :angry:

Edit: you beat me to it Kevan :P

Edited by womble53

I understand that Peterborough only had a podium and trophy for the winners too,so didn't recognize the efforts of the second and third place teams, if that was the case it was a bit of a poor show when put together with all the extra charges imposed on the meeting.

Does the 'home club' actually run the show or do they have to do what they are told by the event/super7 (or whatever the series goes under the name of) afficionados? Certainly, Peterborough have a podium that'll take the top three so if the one used was different it might not have been their's. And I'm sure Peterborough didn't supply the trophies so you can't pin that on 'Peterborough'.

And to top it all off Peterborough Speedway/BSPA were too penny pinching to have a full podium presentation.

This is the first 'Fours' meeting I have been to, where only the winners were presented to the crowd, and given trophies and medals, so Edinburgh and Somerset supporters in attendance were denied the chance to congratulate their teams for making the rostrum. All the rider momento's were handed to the team managers at the managers meeting prior to racing, to give to their riders, and not formally presented.

It's not as though there isn't an allowance for expenses like this for the staging club, because there is..................pretty poor show for a major event if you ask me :angry:

Edit: you beat me to it Kevan :P

Yeh I forgot about that!! They used to present all the riders with medals prior to the start of racing??

Its a shame `cos I and three others wont go again!!

I was really looking forward to my visit to Peterborough. Not been there for years and yes it still is a lovely setting, but what a rip off- prog not worth £4 to sit in the stand £2. we paid it but after entrance fee this was over the top. Newcastle must have been disappointed in not getting through to the final. Rene Bachs E/F put them out of the final. My families disappointment was to to see Scunny not have a race off with Edinburgh to go through to the final....Quote from the prog.PAGE 18. "race-offs in the event of a tie in the semi finals" why advertise it like that to then do a count back? Same number of wins, more 2s for Edinburgh, but 2 x 0s for Edinburgh none for Scunny......A race off would have taken all of a minute and been much fairer. So Newcastle fans your not the only ones to be disappointed us Scunny fans suffer with you. Congrats to the winners!

I enjoyed the Fours yesterday and congratulate Birmingham on a well deserved victory. However, I also felt ripped off by all the extra charges at this event.

The biggest rip off though was the price of the beer in the Showground bar. They had the cheek to charge £3.20 for a pint of Carlsberg and then serve it in a cheap flimsy plastic glass. No doubt the Health and Safety brigade had something to do with this or was it just penny pinching by the Showground owners. The irony is that the Harvester pub at the entrance to the Showground charge just £2.25 for the same beer and they serve it in a proper glass!

I won't be returning to the Showground in a hurry .

I enjoyed the Fours yesterday and congratulate Birmingham on a well deserved victory. However, I also felt ripped off by all the extra charges at this event.

The biggest rip off though was the price of the beer in the Showground bar. They had the cheek to charge £3.20 for a pint of Carlsberg and then serve it in a cheap flimsy plastic glass. No doubt the Health and Safety brigade had something to do with this or was it just penny pinching by the Showground owners. The irony is that the Harvester pub at the entrance to the Showground charge just £2.25 for the same beer and they serve it in a proper glass!

I won't be returning to the Showground in a hurry .

doubt theres a outdoor event where proper glasses are used nowicon_neutral.gif if you think £3.20 is expensive i've paid alot more than that at events,if you go to the showground again take your cool bag packed full of beer ...at last years s.w.c the poles had sheds full of beer and loads of those chuck away b.b.q and had a hell of a party and that was before the 1st heat

Not sure I understand that ??

We read constant criticism of the EL, specially around WTC time, that not enough Brits are given the chance at EL level so the GB team suffers internationally as a result. Here we have a team from lower down the Team GB preparation ladder tracking 5 non-Brits in a team competition (and winning the event to maybe prove the point) and, on checking their web-site, I find they actually only have one Brit in a PL septet. How are British riders meant to progress to EL and International standard if some PL promoters prefer to use so many non-Brit riders. The 'Aussies' part was just for convenience - I could, and probably should, have used 'non-Brits'.

Edit : Is it a problem? :unsure:

Not to me, but I'm nothing to do with Team GB and don't have to look to see where the next generation of top-level International British riders is coming from.

And here it is, the expected 'how many has your team got' post.

I dont either Jacques, Its a bit rich coming from a Panthers fan, how many British riders do they have in their 1-7. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Let's have a look at yesterday's riders.

Jason King started with Peterborough Pumas. Carl Wilkinson started with Peterborough Thundercats and given a chance at EL as #8. Paul Clews started as a Thundercat, also rode PL with Panthers. David Howe started as a Thundercat, had a season at PL then onto EL with Panthers. Ricky Ashworth given his EL bow doubling-up with Panthers, rode over 20 matches that year but declined a second year. Simon Lambert, Lee Complin, Andrew Tully, and Ritchie Hawkins all given their chance at EL as doubling-up riders. Richard Hall given his EL bow as a Panther.

For PL teams not in yesterday's event, Oliver Allen started as a Thundercat, was given his PL bow in Panthers' 1998 PL title-winning team, then his EL debut as a double-upper again as a Panther. Chris Schramm started as a Puma. Gary Havelock had a couple of seasons at the EoES and Andre Compton was given a chance at EL level. Craig Cook is Panthers' current #8.

Now onto the riders who did make the Team GB side last month. Scott Nicholls, an Ipswich asset at the time, was given his League speedway debut in the 2nd tier with Panthers. Simon Stead started as a Thundercat, progressed into the PL with a team spot as a Panther then rode as a double-upper for the club in the EL. Chris Harris was given his EL debut as a Panther doubling-up for a couple of seasons and Lee Richardson had an EL year at EoES.

Danny King started as a Puma then came back for a couple of years in the EL with Panthers and Paul Hurry rode at EoES for a couple of years back in the 90's.

So, I don't think Peterborough's contribution to the development of current British riders can really be criticised.

But to answer your point, it's not really surprising that Peterborough - or other EL teams for that matter - don't have many Brits in their squads, given that some promoters lower down the progression ladder prefer filling their teams almost entirely with non-Brits. After all, if a rider lacks PL experience, he's hardly likely to get a call to ride EL, is he?

Edited by Barney Rabbit