British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
manchesterpaul

Zenon Plech - Hit The Soda Into His Head!

I use a bookmarked 'Google translated' link to the superb speedway site of sportowefakty zuzel speedway. Can one of our polish friends on here please clarify the translation of this article on their website today. The polish version is here http://www.sportowefakty.pl/zuzel/2010/08/08/plech-o-swojej-autobiografii-postawilem-na-nieznane-fakty/

Zenon Plech used to be the young star of Polish speedway in the seventies and i was startled to see the phrase 'hit the soda into your head' appear. Does it mean illegal substance abuse or just a hilarious translation of a saying not translated too well?

Plech of his autobiography: I set the unknown facts. Zenon Plech explains why in his autobiography entitled "In the Shadow of Gold" very little space devoted conduct of his sporting career.

- I wanted this book was captivating, so that no one put down after reading it two - three chapters. It is therefore not concentrated on describing the course of my sporting career. Today in the era of the Internet, anyone can quickly get access to all the slag statistics. If anyone wants to know how many points you won in the league match without much of a problem he will reach that information. I wanted this, that this book contains information previously unknown and was simply curious. I remember to this day one of the articles which appeared years ago in the local press Gorzow. The author wondered if the young Plechowi not hit the soda into your head? The truth is that the material that was fairly accurate. While working on the autobiography I wanted above all to show how I was. Thanks are also Ostafińskiemu editor, who wrote down my thoughts. The book owes a lot to him - said of his work Zenon Plech.

Edited by manchesterpaul

"uderzyla woda sodowa do glowy" means

if success goes to someone's head, it makes them believe they are more important than they are.

"uderzyla woda sodowa do glowy" means

if success goes to someone's head, it makes them believe they are more important than they are.

PHEWWWW! LOL

Thank you very much pawel. Very relieved to see that it is indeed a badly translated saying. Also saves me from asking about the 'slag statistics' :lol:

Also saves me from asking about the 'slag statistics' :lol:

It serves you right :-)

Google translator is nothing else than a pain in one's a.se !

"slag" is a literal ( and unfortunate ) translation of a Polish word "zuzel", which is also a Polish name for what we know as "speedway", or "dirt track racing". The surface material used (not so long ago) on Polish track was just that: slag, or cinder, hence the name for this kind of motocycle-racing.

It serves you right :-)

Google translator is nothing else than a pain in one's a.se !

"slag" is a literal ( and unfortunate ) translation of a Polish word "zuzel", which is also a Polish name for what we know as "speedway", or "dirt track racing". The surface material used (not so long ago) on Polish track was just that: slag, or cinder, hence the name for this kind of motocycle-racing.

Thanks for that, I too had wondered about the amount of "slag" in Polish speedway :D

Thanks for that, I too had wondered about the amount of "slag" in Polish speedway :D

OK one more, if one uses Google translate on the main Polish speedway site there is a banner headline - which i have to censor - Thomas H. Jonasson: The slag it really a f****** job on the track the story goes on to quote the alternative word for 'kitty'. He may well have actually said the word as, certain swear words are pretty universal in any language. Anyway, i reckon it beats the regular occurrence of the phrase 'little bas***d' that appears in Google's translation of Italian speedway sites.

Incidentally, this explanation regarding 'slag' may explain why several foreign riders in interviews here on tv have uttered the word s**t. If you think about it, it would obviously translate, or be taken as, to mean 'dirt'. therefore they could be using the term quite innocently. Obviously that is no saving grace for when an english rider has used it.

Hey if you want to hear lots of polish swear words check out Greg Walasek going nuts over the phone in conversation with ref this was like 2 seasons ago this i well known video lot was talked about that one it happens from time to time in polish live telecasts but this was the biggest outburst

Not just Polish instant Google tranlations!!

Swedish..the Swedish team Solkatterna was wonderfully translated as "Smudgy Keys"!!???? Zero sense....

Edited by icicle