British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
deadmau5

British Sgp Decline

Apologies if this has already been detailed elsewhere on here, but I discovered the following article earlier and wondered what you thought of it?

http://www.methanolpress.com/2010/07/catastrophic-further-collapse-in-cardiff-speedway-grand-prix-viewing-figures-contributes-to-dramatic-further-decline-in-overall-british-audience/

Thanks,

deadmau5

Edited by deadmau5

Apologies if this has already been detailed elsewhere on here, but I discovered the following article earlier and wondered what you thought of it?

It seems to be a reasonable analysis of the situation, and adds some weight to the supposition that everything is not rosy in the SGP garden. The irony of course is that this year's SGP has been the best for a while, but I suspect the goose has been cooked.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

A lot of it is because the change of time to 5pm ,just like any tv show that was took off peak time to tea time the figures are bound to drop .

Odd that he forgot to say anythink about that .

Would hold more water if the author was less blatantly anti-SGP.

What's wrong with being anti-SGP, especially if you can make a reasonable argument that it's not all it's been cracked up to be?

And whether or not the start time has changed, a drop in viewers is a drop in viewers.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

What's wrong with being anti-SGP, especially if you can make a reasonable argument that it's not all it's been cracked up to be?

And whether or not the start time has changed, a drop in viewers is a drop in viewers.

When if you put Eastenders on at 5pm instead of 7.30pm there would be a drop in viewers so not sure what your point is .

Nothing in itself, but the language used just makes him seem like a loser who is stuck in the one off world final era. Clearly wants speedway to stay in a world of Wulfsport wearing, badge donning gimps.

Not entirely sure that I'd conclude that the author is anti-GP per se from that article. It sounds more anti-BSI and their hype than anything. Not that there is anything wrong with that either.

Given orion's more than reasonable point pertaining to the time change, perhaps a comparison of viewing figures for other GPs should be made. No other GP has a different start time and there is only a hour difference between the usual starting time and the British GP (traditionally a hour later and now a hour earlier) except for the occasional GP in Italy and maybe Latvia.

Edited by ladyluck

An article based on flimsy evidence.Just the case that viewing figures have dropped.But then that might be accounted for with the time change as has been stated and the author seems to think the fact that is was up against a big World Cup match.Not sure if i have read that right.But if so that would account for a drop as well.Nothing can challenge Football.He does bring up important issues like the worldwide penetration.But this has no fact behind it either from BSI or from the author.I would also think there is a little bit of bull behind some of BSI/IMG's statements.But unless you can prove otherwise we just have to remain sceptical.....

A lot of it is because the change of time to 5pm ,just like any tv show that was took off peak time to tea time the figures are bound to drop .

Odd that he forgot to say anythink about that .

According to BARB (the way viewing figures are officially measured in Britain), numbers were down 104,000 in 2009 and fell a further 79,000 in 2010

Odd to see this as a success or as solely explained by the earlier start time - but your prerogative, of course

I think this is a fair explanation of the difference in figures.

The explanation here is different albeit hard to understand. It also appears to suggest that almost all viewing figures for every speedway meeting ever televised by Sky isn't statistically significant.

Plus the post isn't info that appears on the BARB website

The published BARB figures are the only widely available viewing statistics (in the absence of more detailed info from the organisers)

Looking at the FAQs section of the BARB website (www.barb.co.uk) answers most methodology questions.

Refreshing the audience panel is a regular but standard occurence - if it invaildated statistical comparisons surely telvision companies would soon let BARB know?

"jump the shark"...!! Blimey, am grateful to prolific author Mr. Scott for introducing this expression to me!! :rolleyes:

It means:

"a term to describe a moment when something that was once great has reached a point where it will now decline in quality and popularity. Origin of this phrase comes from a Happy Days episode where the Fonz jumped a shark on waterskis. Thus was labeled the lowest point of the show"

Coincidentally a shark-related incident was the lowest point of my all-time favourite US TV show, the 1960s Batman when in an absurd surfing cometition between Batman (in baggies over his famous underpants!) and the Joker - they ,er, encounter a shark!!

Luckily all is well, as Batman has his supply of Shark Repellant Bat-spray! Holy Cowabunga as Robin (of course) declares! B)

As for the SGP... Well I look forward to its replacement with a proper World Championship! :neutral:

According to BARB (the way viewing figures are officially measured in Britain), numbers were down 104,000 in 2009 and fell a further 79,000 in 2010

Odd to see this as a success or as solely explained by the earlier start time - but your prerogative, of course

Never said it was solely responsible but it is a major factor on viewing figures ...the main thing is that the piece written fails to point out this very important point and for that reason makes it almost pointless .

Never said it was solely responsible but it is a major factor on viewing figures ...the main thing is that the piece written fails to point out this very important point and for that reason makes it almost pointless .

If you say so

Surely the "very important point" of earlier start time can't be the key factor for the significant decline in viewing figures decline in both 2009 & 2010?