British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
rossi27

Can You Really Be World Champion If You Don't Ride In Elite League ?

With 15 out of the 26 riders in the current Grand Prix competition not reguarly riding in the UK Elite League and the likely winner with only 2 rounds left being one of them can they be truly crowned World Champion assuming that the Elite League is within the top 3 in the world.

With 15 out of the 26 riders in the current Grand Prix competition not reguarly riding in the UK Elite League and the likely winner with only 2 rounds left being one of them can they be truly crowned World Champion assuming that the Elite League is within the top 3 in the world.

Yes!

Yes of course , i think ur missing the point that the elite league , or any league for that matter is a team compo , whereas the GP is purely an individual event . A rider , theoretically , if he so wished , could ride in only the GP's , and if he was the winner at the end of the series , he would be World Champion .

Thats where your going wrong!!

Shouldn`t this post be in the speedway gp section or at least individual part , and what a complete waste of a post totally irrelavant !!!!

Thats where your going wrong!!

Thats the point,is the Elite League important enough anymore to the bigger picture of speedway if that many of the worlds top riders don't participate.Before anyone jumps down my throat this not my opinion just an observation and worth debating surely.

Edited by rossi27

Everyone knows the EL ranks lower than whale dung to most GP riders. :shock:

Thats the point,is the Elite League important enough anymore to the bigger picture of speedway if that many of the worlds top riders don't participate.Before anyone jumps down my throat this not my opinion just an observation and worth debating surely.

As pointed out by others, not really worth debating, because you are comparing team with individual.

What the BSPA has singularly failed to do is make speedway in Britain attractive enough for the best riders in the world to want to ride in the EL. Poorly organised - inconsistent fixture list - inability to complete fixtures before the race-offs - how can a serious professional rider maintain a schedule? Even the Super7even (sic) suffered because the Polish League was more important than the Pairs.

Even the Super7even (sic) suffered because the Polish League was more important than the Pairs.

It is more important (for the riders)... because it pays more :-)

As pointed out by others, not really worth debating, because you are comparing team with individual.

What the BSPA has singularly failed to do is make speedway in Britain attractive enough for the best riders in the world to want to ride in the EL.

What the BSPA has failed to do is ensure a fair number of the best riders in the world are British. When was the last time Great Britain won the SWC? I'm guessing 1989 and only then because of the dreadful injuries suffered by Erik Gundersen. When was the last time a British rider was on the world championship rostrum? I'm guessing it was Mark Loram during his world championship year of 2000. When was the last time a British rider won the World Under-21s? I'm guessing we go back to Lee Richardson, whenever that was. He's in his thirties, so it wasn't exactly recent. When was the last time a British rider claimed a place in the top eight of the GPs? Way back in 2007, that's when.

Until Britain gets a cadre of decent riders and the ACU and BSPA exert control over said riders, in the manner the PZM and GKSZ do in Poland, the Elite League will continue its descent into irrelevance.

Spot on chief. There is no way guys like Tomek, Crumpie & Hampel could live with talents such as Mathieu Tresarrieu, Chris Schramm, Ludvig Lindgren, Willie Lawson, Filip Sitera etc etc, the teams they race against in Poland & Sweden need beefed up with some of these talents to ensure that they become true world champions :blink::blink::blink: