British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Parsloes 1928 nearly

Transfer Deadline

Much talk (and from those 'in the know' at that..! :rolleyes: ) on a previous thread that the transfer deadline in the NL had passed... One assumes that was either incorrect or that this deadline doesn't apply to the NT, as I've just read the surprising news of Brendan's move from the IoW to Weymouth...

No 28 day rule applying (well this late in the season it would hardly make sense if it did!) either too..?

Is it just me who's a little confused..? :blink::oops:

Much talk (and from those 'in the know' at that..! :rolleyes: ) on a previous thread that the transfer deadline in the NL had passed... One assumes that was either incorrect or that this deadline doesn't apply to the NT, as I've just read the surprising news of Brendan's move from the IoW to Weymouth...

No 28 day rule applying (well this late in the season it would hardly make sense if it did!) either too..?

Is it just me who's a little confused..? :blink::oops:

I'm not sure if I am just making this up but I thought I heard Brendan was not allowed to sign at Newport but could at Weymouth? I possibly heard this at Poole on Sunday but can't remember as may have dreamt it, Bobc or Wessex Wanderer were there prehaps they can shed some light :unsure:

I'm not sure if I am just making this up but I thought I heard Brendan was not allowed to sign at Newport but could at Weymouth? I possibly heard this at Poole on Sunday but can't remember as may have dreamt it, Bobc or Wessex Wanderer were there prehaps they can shed some light

Well, I guess that makes sense as Newport are in the play-offs. Am I being dim (again...!) but have the IoW finished their fixtures then..? :unsure: I assume that would be the only reason Bren would be leaving the Islanders..? :unsure:

I hate to bring up ancient history (but hey, this IS me! :rolleyes: ) - but back in 2006 when Mildenhall had finished their CL fixtures (it was a year Sittingbourne didn't enter the league...), the Crusaders were denied permission to use Mark Baseby in their very final Conference Shield fixture at Stoke coz he'd previously ridden for the Fen Tigers but facing them was Ben Hopwood who - wait for it - had spent the season alongside Mark riding in the CL for Mildenhall!! Proof if ever it was needed that completely maverick decisions and treating one club differently from another has bedevilled this division for years.. :neutral:

Well, I guess that makes sense as Newport are in the play-offs. Am I being dim (again...!) but have the IoW finished their fixtures then..? :unsure: I assume that would be the only reason Bren would be leaving the Islanders..? :unsure:

I hate to bring up ancient history (but hey, this IS me! :rolleyes: ) - but back in 2006 when Mildenhall had finished their CL fixtures (it was a year Sittingbourne didn't enter the league...), the Crusaders were denied permission to use Mark Baseby in their very final Conference Shield fixture at Stoke coz he'd previously ridden for the Fen Tigers but facing them was Ben Hopwood who - wait for it - had spent the season alongside Mark riding in the CL for Mildenhall!! Proof if ever it was needed that completely maverick decisions and treating one club differently from another has bedevilled this division for years.. :neutral:

I assume Parsnips old fruit, that next you'll be telling us that the Wombles were robbed of the league title in 2005! :rolleyes:

I presume this has been allowed as Brendan was taken out of IOW 1-7 due to injury. Therefore he his classed as 'returning from injury'. He is also replacing a rider who is injured.

Edited by Jayne

Bottom line - The BSPA MC oversee all transfers and can do whatever it likes, "in the best interests of the sport", despite anything that may appear in the rules and reg's to the contrary.

I'm not sure if I am just making this up but I thought I heard Brendan was not allowed to sign at Newport but could at Weymouth? I possibly heard this at Poole on Sunday but can't remember as may have dreamt it, Bobc or Wessex Wanderer were there prehaps they can shed some light :unsure:

I seem to remember something like this Jules but these days I don't even try to understand speedway rules :unsure: so I probably just blotted it out and got on with watching the KL youngsters.

I find that is a much more enjoyable part of Speedway than endlessly debating the rules even though Sittingbourne were probably done out of points in 1913 and Wimbledon were cheated out of the 1922 National League title.

See you at the next (and maybe last) Bournemouth meeting.

:)

I find that is a much more enjoyable part of Speedway than endlessly debating the rules even though Sittingbourne were probably done out of points in 1913 ...

No, the Crusaders were never done out of any points at 19.13, with our 12pm start time we always finished our home meetings by 18.30 at the latest...!!! ;):D

Bottom line - The BSPA MC oversee all transfers and can do whatever it likes, "in the best interests of the sport", despite anything that may appear in the rules and reg's to the contrary.

To the best of my knowledge and my long experience in the NL and CL, it is the Co-ordinator who oversees movements in the third tier.

Previously transfers have not been allowed after the transfer deadline although you could always sign someone who was not in a 1-7. I can only think that this is why Brendan has been allowed to sign for Weymouth if he has been out of the IOW 1-7.

Looking back at the Hopwood/Baseby situation, I think that Hopwood moved prior to the deadline especially since he rode 6 times for the Spitfires that season.

Malcolm Vasey

To the best of my knowledge and my long experience in the NL and CL, it is the Co-ordinator who oversees movements in the third tier.

With sincere respect I refer you to the following;

17.4.2 The BSPA MC shall monitor all proposed moves and be satisfied they are in the best interests of the sport and have sole responsibility to approve all Declared and Re-Declared Team Line-Ups, notifying all such approvals on the appropriate paperwork.

I am aware of what it says in that book but I am virtually certain that is not the case in the third tier.

There are a number of rules in the book from which you quote that do not apertain to the third tier.

Perhaps Jayne knows the answer.

Malcolm Vasey

It does not state any exception for the NL. The rule is very specific and quite clear in the way it's written. If it's not adhered to I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised.

No disrespect intended, I know you know your cucumbers. My gripe would be with the rule book. Too much of it is ambiguous, contradictory or just ignored at will. :rolleyes:

looks like another case of make it up as you go along thought every league was the same this year if not its about time they all run to the same rules please letts have some sence shown by the invislble rulers of our once great sport. :mad:

Edited by bw double