British Speedway Forum
vog

Stoke Potters

I'm not too clued up on riders in the NL scene (hangs head in shame), though obviously aware of TA, so would be interested to know if all the recent activity gives rise to a sense of optimism for Stoke this season - or too early to tell until other signings confirmed?

Thanks

It's hard to say - it's a completely new team in a completely new league (to me too !) - but from what others have said yes my optimism is building !

It's hard to say - it's a completely new team in a completely new league (to me too !) - but from what others have said yes my optimism is building !

Id be optimistic I've watched near enough NL as PL matches in my time as a fan & stoke would have been my NL team this year if the hornets hadn't run.

Lambert will be a force next year him an Roynon battling it out at the top of the NL averages.

Atkin will do a solid job & I wouldn't be surprised if he upped his average next year.

Tim as I posted was ave as much as Kyle, Todd & Jonesy last year upto a point. And he will do a cracking job.

Top 3 as a unit is best named so far & will be hard to better that.

If you can get a 'pickard' or similar in next & pick up a couple of decent kids for the reserve positions, I would be very optimistic about your season.

Your top 3 will be very entertaining.

Edited by shirlmeister general

Id be optimistic I've watched near enough NL as PL matches in my time as a fan & stoke would have been my NL team this year if the hornets hadn't run.

Lambert will be a force next year him an Roynon battling it out at the top of the NL averages.

Atkin will do a solid job & I wouldn't be surprised if he upped his average next year.

Tim as I posted was ave as much as Kyle, Todd & Jonesy last year upto a point. And he will do a cracking job.

Top 3 as a unit is best named so far & will be hard to better that.

If you can get a 'pickard' or similar in next & pick up a couple of decent kids for the reserve positions, I would be very optimistic about your season.

Your top 3 will be very entertaining.

Thanks for that. Looking forward to my visits to Loomer Road already.

Thanks for that. Looking forward to my visits to Loomer Road already.

No probs just my opinions but its nice to have a new team to talk about & a good race track at that.

And its great that people are taking an interest in stokes side.

No probs just my opinions but its nice to have a new team to talk about & a good race track at that.

And its great that people are taking an interest in stokes side.

Agree. I can understand some Stoke fans might have become disillusioned but better to have speedway than not, and hopefully this is the fresh start that Stoke need. It's always good when new tracks appear / tracks switch league. I remember 'when I were a lad' looking forward to news from the NL conference about new tracks. I don't recall there were any limits then and there seemed to be fresh teams evry year, IL KOC, NL4TT...must put those rose tinted specs away :rolleyes:

Looking forward to the day when Ellesmere Port v Stoke is back on the fixture list (2 big assumptions there - EP return, EP enter NL while Stoke remain there!)

Good luck to our old rivals at Loomer Road this year. When can we expect the fixtures?

It would be great to get back into rivalry with the Gunners. My best memorys involve John Jackson, Steve Finch, Bootsy and Billy Burton, Crabby etc. On to the NL situation , I think the best plus for my is the signing of Tim on a full contract. As with any speedway rider a injury free season will I'm sure see the lad mature. Not sure on the quality of his bike(s) but on good machines he could av around the 8 point mark plus. Johnson has been mentioned, what av would he come in on?. looking forward to talks on the new riders when signed and then the season.

It would be great to get back into rivalry with the Gunners. My best memorys involve John Jackson, Steve Finch, Bootsy and Billy Burton, Crabby etc. On to the NL situation , I think the best plus for my is the signing of Tim on a full contract. As with any speedway rider a injury free season will I'm sure see the lad mature. Not sure on the quality of his bike(s) but on good machines he could av around the 8 point mark plus. Johnson has been mentioned, what av would he come in on?. looking forward to talks on the new riders when signed and then the season.

Tim has good equipment & a good support team.

Hes capable of an 8pt ave IMO.

I mentioned Johnson think he was ave around 4-5 last year from memory.

Tim went through a dreadful spell last season where he could not stay on a bike. Ironically it came right after his best performance of the season, an imperious 15 point maximum against Plymouth.

Catch him on the right day and he's as fast as anyone in the NL.

Thanks Steeplejack. My era too, and lets not forget Louis and Peter Carr. From a Stoke perspective - Ian Gledhill winner of NLRC - now wasn't that a surprise! Your point about injury free is spot on. Did any team suffer as badly as Stoke last season? I'm looking forward to seeing a competitive Stoke team this year. Good luck for the season

Thanks Steeplejack. My era too, and lets not forget Louis and Peter Carr. From a Stoke perspective - Ian Gledhill winner of NLRC - now wasn't that a surprise! Your point about injury free is spot on. Did any team suffer as badly as Stoke last season? I'm looking forward to seeing a competitive Stoke team this year. Good luck for the season

Who could forget the Carrs. I'm still on medication from the Gledhill win; If only I had put a fiver on him!!!. I can remember a close match between the Potters and Gunners at our place ( although I think they were all close) when Louis went straight up from the start and landed on his backside!! Great riders and great times. Hope some of that feeling can return to Loomer road. The opening three riders give rise to think so. Simon will be a top rider in this league and can see him doing a "Lee Smart" this year, which will be good for us and Scunthorpe. Tony is Tony and a great influence this year and as I have said Tim has the capibility to be a force. Anyway who do we have for the last four Mr Tattum?. I'm getting a little concernedhttp://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

Edited by Steeplejack

Who could forget the Carrs. I'm still on medication from the Gledhill win; If only I had put a fiver on him!!!. I can remember a close match between the Potters and Gunners at our place ( although I think they were all close) when Louis went straight up from the start and landed on his backside!! Great riders and great times. Hope some of that feeling can return to Loomer road. The opening three riders give rise to think so. Simon will be a top rider in this league and can see him doing a "Lee Smart" this year, which will be good for us and Scunthorpe. Tony is Tony and a great influence this year and as I have said Tim has the capibility to be a force. Anyway who do we have for the last four Mr Tattum?. I'm getting a little concernedhttp://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

Why good for Scunthorpe?? Do you mean Sheffield?

Why good for Scunthorpe?? Do you mean Sheffield?

I haven't a clue have I!!!!. I had it in my head Sheffield but dissmissed it without checking. This lad will be that good this year that it will be good for every track he visits!!!. Think I've covered every base there. Thanks superstar1 for showing what the good lady wife has know for years. Come on I want more riders to talk about.

Edited by Steeplejack

Come on I want more riders to talk about.

So do I :approve:

Edited by shirlmeister general

I am very pleased that the first speedway silverware of the year has been won with some style by our new Captain Tony Atkin.

He feels that this is just what he needed to do to enhance his move to Stoke and his pride in coming back to the Potteries to lead the team.

Well done Tony what a perfomance congratulations on behalf of us all.

Malcolm Vasey

Edited by Proud Potter