British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Riders You Would Pay To Watch

Riders you would pay a 'few bob' to drink with :shock::D:D

http://freespace.virgin.net/arty.b/ron_womble.htm

Now there`s a few people who know how to have a good time :D I was going to say "p#ss artists" but i thought "better not" ;)

Is it me or does it look like Ivan and Honey have just had a tiff?

.....And is it me or does poor Ove look like he's grimacing from the pain of being held down in his seat by Shazzy? :D

.....And is it me or does poor Ove look like he's grimacing from the pain of being held down in his seat by Shazzy? :D

Agree, looks to me like he`s trying to do a runner :D

Poor soul. He doesn't stand a chance. :)

.....And is it me or does poor Ove look like he's grimacing from the pain of being held down in his seat by Shazzy?  :D

Agree, looks to me like he`s trying to do a runner :D

Shazzy isn't giving Ove a wedgey then????...... (:o(

Regards. (;O)

PS.

((;O)

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Cradley Heath's Ivor Brown.

Hated by the opposition because he was so good and those bloody

white leathers were still normally white at the end of the night.

And of course the king Ivan Mauger.

Great thread this.. brings the memories flooding back.. obviously biased towards Ipswich as they were my local team when I started watching speedway way back when. The likes of Sandor Levai, Alan Sage, Olle Nygren. A "youngish" John 'Tiger' Louis. Then Shrimp Davey, Mike Lanham, Billy Sanders, Ted Howgego..

As for opposition riders, Bert Harkins, Arnold Haley from Sheffield, John Boulger, Ray Wilson.. specially when he got those Bostik sponsored leathers.. oh boy I couldn't wait to get to Foxhall to hear the crowd chanting.."Willy,Willy,Willy.. got too much Bostik".. hahaha those were the days. Ole Olsen, Alf Busk. And the Old enemy up the A12.. I loved going home and away to watch the likes of Terry Betts and Ian 'Tiddler' Turner. Like others on here, I could go on as the list is endless, but all riders I would have and did pay to go and see race.. characters all of them.

Guest andymheathen

never lucky enuff to see "the white ghost of dudley wood" having grown up watching bruce janno god(ERIK) crossi bigal greg n billy was good enough! reg visitor to monmore(kennell)loomer and brandon and hate every mimute of it!-but its better than no speedway (marginally)ONE DAY WE"LL BE BACK AND BOY, HAVE WE GOT SOME SERIOUS "ommerin" TO DO! :D

ONE DAY WE"LL BE BACK AND BOY, HAVE WE GOT SOME SERIOUS "ommerin" TO DO! :D

Hell yeah!!!

Bruce is the first rider I can remember, but only bearly. '83 is the first year I have any particular memories. The only exception is seeing Lance King practice at the end of '82 before joining us. Strange I remember that very clearly. (I was only 6) I seem to remember Phil Collins as much as anybody.

:wink::P

Guest Pocket Rocket

This question has really set me thinking !!!

As a Birmingham Brummies fan throughout the 70's & 80' and an adopted Wolverhampton Wolves fan in the late 90's there are plenty of riders who fit the bill !

My all time favourite rider was Hans Nielson. From the shaggy haired youngster when he started at Wolves up untill his retirement, he really was the master.

There have been others who were in a class of their own, Peter Collins, Bruce Penhall, Kenny Carter, Dave Jessup, Ole Olsen, Erik Gunderson, Billy Sanders.

Then there are those who were just pure entertainment on a bike, Arthur "daddy long legs" Browning, Andy Grahame as an up and coming youngster (he must have hit the fence more times than he did laps !), Terry Betts the clown of Kings Lynn, Finn Jensen (who could look like the worlds best rider one race and a complete novice the next). The late and great "Kermitt" Zdenek Kudrna. The man in the green leathers ! He wore his heart on his sleeve and was as brave as a lion.

Thanks for making me invoke these memories, to think back over the years and remember some of the meetings and riders makes me smile. What great times they were.

It makes you realise what a great sport speedway really is.

:):)

Jan Gravningen and George Major were also quite good

Now he has retired I can say Frank Smart :) Infact, come to think of it I(or my parent) have paid to watch every rider I have ever seen ride :)

Infact, come to think of it I(or my parent) have paid to watch every rider I have ever seen ride

That's a very good interesting point SCB :)

Edited by wimbledonwomble

Paul O'Neill, Colin Tucker, Geoff Curtis, John Jackson, Jack Millen, Dave Parry, Dave Morton and Phil Crump (the fastest reserve i have ever seen).

And any other of the mighty Kings.

Oh the good old days of earle street.