British Speedway Forum
covlad459

Coventry 99 % Certain To Be In Elite Next Season Acording To Sandu

The majority of riders brought over are already stars or highly rated youngsters in other leagues so I doubt they count as "finds" either.

Agreed. I wouldn't count Hougaard as a Belle Vue discovery and nor would I count Przemyslaw Pawlicki as a Coventry discovery.

Ultimately, the biggest problem in British speedway is that so few clubs are actually discovering riders. Maybe if they were discovering riders at the rate Polish clubs seem able to do the sport might be in a bit better shape. What British speedway desperately needs is for there to be more top-class British riders, but all anyone seems to care about is getting the next Pawlicki on an assessed 4.00 average. All that does is make Polish speedway the stronger, since the Pawlicki's of this world are beholden to their Polish clubs (rightly so).

None of whom Coventry found and it hardly seems that long ago that Coventry's CEO was telling everyone that he would never "buy" another rider after he was "stitched up" over the whole "Scott Nicholls-Greg Hancock-Billy Hamill affair". Naturally enough, Mr Sandhu didn't stand by his words, but there you go.

You surely can't be disputing your use of the term "pilfer":

Thank you Schumi.:D

Cradley Heath? They were nothing before Penhall.

During the sixties they had a huge following; down at Somerton Park we eagerly awaited the arrival of the Heathen Hordes led by Arch-villain Ivor Brown - Legend!

that should read was

BV are without doubt the most famous and successful club in speedway in the same way that Ivan Mauger or Tony Rickardson is the greatest speedway rider. No other club can match their long and continuous history, the fact that they have always raced at the highest level, their unparallelled record of league and cup successes, presently dating from 1931 to 2005, their recognition outside the sport and the many World Champions and truly famous riders who have worn the Ace of Clubs.

Coventry have a record of which to be proud, they have even spent a significant part of their shorter history in the top division, and in recent times have been more successful but it is like, at best, comparing Nicki Pedersen to Mauger or Rickardson. He is an excellent rider, he has won many trophy's but not yet shown the longevity, level of achievement and wider public recognition, to join the very best.

If my memory serves me it was BV that provided the riders to enable Coventry to put together a side in the late 1940's and I do have to say that it is always nice to see a protege doing well. :D

BV are without doubt the most famous and successful club in speedway in the same way that Ivan Mauger or Tony Rickardson is the greatest speedway rider. No other club can match their long and continuous history, the fact that they have always raced at the highest level, their unparallelled record of league and cup successes, presently dating from 1931 to 2005, their recognition outside the sport and the many World Champions and truly famous riders who have worn the Ace of Clubs.

Coventry have a record of which to be proud, they have even spent a significant part of their shorter history in the top division, and in recent times have been more successful but it is like, at best, comparing Nicki Pedersen to Mauger or Rickardson. He is an excellent rider, he has won many trophy's but not yet shown the longevity, level of achievement and wider public recognition, to join the very best.

If my memory serves me it was BV that provided the riders to enable Coventry to put together a side in the late 1940's and I do have to say that it is always nice to see a protege doing well. :D

You know what?. you are right whenever anyone mentions speedway outside of speedway circles it's always Belle Vue and it's list of achievements they seem to quote . even in my local pub the conversation would immediately sway to the Aces from Manchester and their list of world championship winning riders. very few people even know that Coventry Still has a team and it 's only 10 miles away . Thank god for belle Vue ,without their benevolence and their world fame . it.s more than likely there would be no speedway at all in the uk . speedway without the world renowned Aces would be like football without Man Utd. now back to the point of the thread the team that no-one knows exists

I will never disrespect the fame & glory of The Aces past. Which is why the place they find themselves now is disheartening. They need a serious investor not just someone that's living out of their own past with the club. Those at the club now just are not willing to go out & find the lads from the continent , the PL, The NL that can build a future for the club.

This is not good when they hoping to gain a new stadium next door.

It epitmoses everything that is wrong within the BSPA, there are promoters willing to do deeds to stop others in their tyre tracks & promoters that are willing to take the hand outs they offer.

What's more, we have a team that we're adamant they couldn't afford the EL that are suddenly elevated to that level & the league declared FULL TO IT'S REQUIREMENT.Interesting

and even more, we have a team the BSPA we're adamant wouldn't be permitted to the PL that are suddenly elevated to that level & the league is DECLARED FULL. Even more interesting

We all know what it is that that is seen as in the eyes of the law, and the eyes of the law don't take kindly to those sort of practices.

This is why talks are going on & will continue.

The lawyers for the BSPA have demanded it.

Edited by colincooke

You know what?. you are right whenever anyone mentions speedway outside of speedway circles it's always Belle Vue and it's list of achievements they seem to quote . even in my local pub the conversation would immediately sway to the Aces from Manchester and their list of world championship winning riders. very few people even know that Coventry Still has a team and it 's only 10 miles away . Thank god for belle Vue ,without their benevolence and their world fame . it.s more than likely there would be no speedway at all in the uk . speedway without the world renowned Aces would be like football without Man Utd. now back to the point of the thread the team that no-one knows exists

A sad tale, perhaps you could find some way of bringing Coventry into the conversation when BV are mentioned. :D

I will never disrespect the fame & glory of The Aces past. Which is why the place they find themselves now is disheartening. They need a serious investor not just someone that's living out of their own past with the club. Those at the club now just are not willing to go out & find the lads from the continent , the PL, The NL that can build a future for the club.

It epitmoses everything that is wrong within the BSPA, there are promoters willing to do deeds to stop others in their tyre tracks & promoters that are willing to take the hand outs they offer.

What's more, we have a team that we're adamant they couldn't afford the EL that are suddenly elevated to that level & the league declared FULL TO IT'S REQUIREMENT.Interesting

and even more, we have a team the BSPA we're adamant wouldn't be permitted to the PL that are suddenly elevated to that level & the league is DECLARED FULL. Even more interesting

We all know what it is that that is seen as in the eyes of the law, and the eyes of the law don't take kindly to those sort of practices.

This is why talks are going on & will continue.

The lawyers for the BSPA have demanded it.

I see the Christmas cheer has done nothing to help with your bitterness :rolleyes: :rolleyes: What a load of cl@prt@p!!

BV have to put all their resources towards the new stadium. The deteriorating facilities at KL will never allow them to attract big crowds on a regular basis and the lack of investment by the stadium owners indicates that there is probably no long term future for it.

Finding new riders is not a problem, most good prospects are easily identifiable but BV are not prepared to offer the deals that other clubs do if that diverts funds from the new stadium project. There is no point in having a good asset base but nowhere to race whereas with a new stadium the priority will change and an asset base built up.

Back on topic, I hope that both Coventry and Peterborough do return to the EL having seen the error of their ways and now being prepared to work constructively with everyone else in the BSPA.

I see the Christmas cheer has done nothing to help with your bitterness :rolleyes: :rolleyes: What a load of cl@prt@p!!

Which bit and why?

Ps.. Claptrap isn't a swear word!

Edited by no-brakes-uk

Which bit and why?

I suspect it was the insinuation that somehow Coventry were beholden to Poole, Eastbourne and Swindon because of the handouts of KK, Bridger and Sweetman. Disgraceful. :D

Edited by Aces51

I suspect it was the insinuation that somehow Coventry were beholden to Poole, Eastbourne and Swindon because of the handouts of KK, Bridger and Sweetman. Disgraceful. :D

None of the above were in that post though

Sweetman - a doubler-uper - gets an average; Pawlicki - a full-time Coventry rider - is "rested" so that he doesn't. Yes, they're just bursting with honour and integrity down at Brandon.

They even took a handout from Belle Vue (Simon Stead) not that long ago.

Edited by ladyluck

Seems pretty clear. :D