British Speedway Forum
frenchy

Wombwell V Stoke 1948

Thanks Ian, I try to read most of the postings on a regular basis and post replies to a few that I know something about, but have been laid up for almost two months after an ankle replacement and find it hard to concentrate for more than half an hour.All will be well in time though, it better be as I have promised my old mate Ian Wilson a lift to the Leicester opening. Best Wishes Rod Haynes.

Sorry to hear about your ankle Rod - hope it is healing well. Perhaps we could meet at Leicester as I am hoping to get to the first Meeting there. :):):)

Out of interest Tim Swales took his first rides on a speedway track at Wombwell in 1964. When Ron Wilson brought league speedway back to Middlesbrough in 1968 Tim was one of the first local lads to emerge from that era. From memory he started to appear regular in 1969 and was a fixture in the team until 1974 when his business interests conflicted, he initially chose Scunthorpe at Quibell Park on Monday evenings but it soon became obvious it wasn't going to work out so he joined Sunderland instead. We had Bruce Forrester, Dave Durham & Pete Reading loyal to the club for a number of years and it was a great time to be a supporter. I sometimes wish I could bring such halcyon days back.