British Speedway Forum
Steve Ribbons

Mildenhall Statement.

I'd imagine the attempted re-opening of Norwich (Swaffham) a few years back possibly put the backs up of certain members of the BSPA. [Without passing comment on the rights and wrongs of that.]

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

I remember that, and that at the time Mr Ribbons said that the Lynn promotion 'hadn't heard the last of it'.

It would be nice to hear the BSPA's side of the Mildy situation.

Edited by Bagpuss

Good post :approve:

You'd think that the BSPA would do everything possible to help a prospective promotion, wouldn't you ?

Here, they seem to have done quite the opposite.

Lots of people spouting off on here - all I will say, and remind people of, IS THERE IS ALWAYS TWO SIDES TO EVERY STORY.

Lots of people spouting off on here - all I will say, and remind people of, IS THERE IS ALWAYS TWO SIDES TO EVERY STORY.

Yes there is 2 sides to every story, BUT!!!!! The way the BSPA have gone about their business is to say the least a little slippery...

All the time effort and money that goes into trying to open a track, you would think a little respect would be given to the potential promotion. To wait until the promotion has travelled and is about to enter the meeting only to be told you are not getting in the league so not getting into the meeting is a joke in its self.

If the BSPA wont talk to you , then why not come on here and let everyone know what is going on!! The fans want to know!!!

The BSPA members can come on here the same as everyone else and put their side of the story.

SO if weymouth want to start up again, then they will have a huge bill to pay before any wheels start to turn??? Will any other teams want to start up again with this attitude?!!

Ive seen the time effort and enthusiasm that Steve has put into this and he has sorted out the financial backing from investors so the only stumbling block is the BSPA. So all the Mildenhall fans are not getting local speedway because of one thing. Yes the court case is ongoing at the moment but that will be sorted before the season starts.

This is now 4 speedway tracks lost to speedway this year... 3 of which could be running though.

Malcolm Vasey, Jonathan Chapman, Dave Hoggart, Rob Godfrey Jayne Moss & Dale Allitt are all more or less regular contributors to this forum and quite often don't mince their words.

That's another BSPA rule : one law for one, one law for another.

That's a statement that will not help the Mildenhall cause for now, or the future, typical of what should be kept to one's self if that's the opinion. Foolhardy comment in my opinion.

Wonder if it would have been different if the BSPA Press Officer was part of the Mildenhall bid?

Dudley, where of course he is heavily involved, have already been able to confirm today that Adam Roynon has signed for them today so the rules must be known. This news is already on the BSPA website !!!

Pleased for Adam who has had a tough run with injuries, and for Dudley fans who have a team to support.

Dudley come out of the meeting with a new rider, the Mildenhall fans come out of the meeting with no team.

Edited by Nikko

Yes there is 2 sides to every story, BUT!!!!! The way the BSPA have gone about their business is to say the least a little slippery...

All the time effort and money that goes into trying to open a track, you would think a little respect would be given to the potential promotion. To wait until the promotion has travelled and is about to enter the meeting only to be told you are not getting in the league so not getting into the meeting is a joke in its self.

If the BSPA wont talk to you , then why not come on here and let everyone know what is going on!! The fans want to know!!!

The BSPA members can come on here the same as everyone else and put their side of the story.

SO if weymouth want to start up again, then they will have a huge bill to pay before any wheels start to turn??? Will any other teams want to start up again with this attitude?!!

Ive seen the time effort and enthusiasm that Steve has put into this and he has sorted out the financial backing from investors so the only stumbling block is the BSPA. So all the Mildenhall fans are not getting local speedway because of one thing. Yes the court case is ongoing at the moment but that will be sorted before the season starts.

This is now 4 speedway tracks lost to speedway this year... 3 of which could be running though.

If BSPA members came on here, as you suggest, and aired their views it would be the first thing people would complain about - quite rightly so, and of course it would be totally wrong to do so anyway. This is for trivia and individual opinion - some of it nothing short of bull----.

However the BSPA should mention the reasons for the rejection of Mildenhall in an official press release along with news from the NL AGM. Hopefully this will be tomorrow.

It can't be forgotten there has still been no official news released on the rules for the other leagues following that AGM after the well publicised incident with Coventry/Peterborough.. overlooking the fact that the agreed upon rules/rule changes could have been announced, even if the above teams weren't in agreement. Official news posted promptly would be the ideal; in essence, quashing any speculation/rumours before they start (though I appreciate the conference may be ongoing and this may not be possible instantly, but hopefully within 24-48 hours - I don't know who posts the news and how they are informed, hours of work, etc).

Maybe it hasn't anything to do with Steve Ribbons but the people at the BSPA saw the name 'Coventry' connected with the application and said they aren't allowed in! The BSPA and Coventry certainly don't go together this Winter do they. :P:lol:

Maybe it hasn't anything to do with Steve Ribbons but the people at the BSPA saw the name 'Coventry' connected with the application and said they aren't allowed in! The BSPA and Coventry certainly don't go together this Winter do they. :P:lol:

seems your right in a manner of speaking ...... its now appears that the feud between kings lynn and mildenhall regarding STOCK CARS issues .. has now spilled over into the national league AGM today with Kings Lynn being the voice and lead opposition against mildenhall running in SPEEDWAY !

the feud between kings lynn and mildenhall regarding STOCK CARS issues

?

If BSPA members came on here, as you suggest, and aired their views it would be the first thing people would complain about - quite rightly so, and of course it would be totally wrong to do so anyway. This is for trivia and individual opinion - some of it nothing short of bull----.

Who said anything about airing their veiws??? Just a true statement as to why a speedway team is stopped from racing even though money and track are all in place ready to go!!!

Its hard enough finding out what the rules are so i doubt the truth will ever come out about Mildenhall...!!!

I take my hat off to anyone who get off his ass and gets speedway running rather than sitting back saying i remember when people used to ride round oval tracks with no brakes.

Must be frustrating being told you cant run your business because you're not in our gang....

First of all my sympathies lie with the Fen Tigers' fans here but I'm also very sorry that a good friend of mine in the form of Steve has been once more slapped in the face by the BSPA.

Steve's an honest guy and a genuine enthusiast who cares for the sport so perhaps it's just as well that he isn't getting involved with the BSPA.

Not for the first time on this forum iris123 and Blazeaway have made postings that are beneath contempt. There is a heck of a lot more to that Wimbledon story than they think they know and it's not printable here. Yes that first meeting at Plough Lane should have been called-off. The plan to lay and lift the track was a tried and proved concept but sadly didn't work on the opening night. Enthusiasm to get the place open overcame what should have been a postponed meeting.

It was Steve getting up and forming the nomadic 1999 Rye House Rockets that not only saw Rye House Speedway re-open but also gave inspiration to similar moves at Middlesbrough, Scunthorpe and Weymouth. In the case of Wimbledon it was Steve who persauaded the GRA to allow speedway back in when many others had tried and failed.

There was significant opposition to the Rye House revival and some quite offensive comments were reported to me as emanating from a key player in the current situation so I'm not really that surprised at the outcome of this year's plan.

Blazeaway and iris123 need to consider that someone had the guts, determination and caring to get their beloved Dons reopened and not to make typically unhelpful, cynical and contemptible postings while cowardly hiding behind false names. Sadly the nature of the net allows anonymity which most people don't abuse. Sadly some do, to everybody's loss.

I look forward to seeing Mildenhall speedway reopen and feel very sad that a chance has not been given for Steve to get a fair chance to show what he can bring to the sport.

Speedway is going through a shocking period though and we have to hope that those responsible for it will go and inflict playing their unpleasant power games on a far less deserving sport.

Rob McCaffery.

Absolutely Rob.

As you know I too was involved in the re-opening of Wimbledon and of course mistakes were made and the opening meeting (well really the track on opening meeting...) was a disaster; but no-one who actually KNOWS anything about it could dare to doubt Steve's huge effort, hard work and passion, which (yes along with his soon-after estranged partner in that enterprise, Crouch) brought about a modern-day Speedway miracle: Speedway back in London at Plough Lane.

I'm a simple soul and see people for what they are in my estimation. And I'm afraid from his postings on here, that Blazeaway comes across as nothing other than a very nasty bully and a very negative person. His earlier posting on this thread is so bad it really should be removed - I hope the Mods will act in that regard.

I know Steve well and I know he has wound some people up the wrong way; but I've NEVER had any cause to have any problem with him at all and I can't for the life of me understand why there is such prejudice against him...

More than that though, this is just awfully sad for Mildenhall and all its supporters - a number of whom I also do know very well...

Did they have to wait all this time, if they were not happy with the "money" behind the prospective new promotion (and I have no opinion one way of the other as I do not know Mr Ribbons) why wait until now to tell them.

If the application was always going to be turned down, why not tell them upfront and maybe Dave Coventry could have come up with something else.

Those were exactly my thoughts shortly after reading the statement, after I became aware of the decision.

If the authorities arent willing to let Steve Ribbons promote, at least for the time being - then the decision seems to have been delivered at the 11th hour - with no time for Dave Coventry, or anyone else, to realistically attempt to put together an alternative in time to enter Mildenhall in the National League for 2011.

Edited by neil3065

Gutted for the fans. :(

If the BSPA are making decisions based on who's who, taking into account other issues to have arisen since last season, then perhaps it would be better for the sport if it were taken to court and ripped to shreds!!

Absof-lutely!