British Speedway Forum
heathen79

Nl Agm Outcomes 25/1/11

That is exactly right Jayne. Tier5 is for young people for a max of 2yrs, similar to the old Working Holiday Visa.

So i take it all Commonwealth PL Second strings, and NL can only ride here for 2 years, then they have to go to Tier 2 ??, this is a bit of a minefield which the BSPA needs to tread carefully, especially if there are British riders out there who dont have a Team to ride for,because if the unemployed british riders decide to take this further, there could be some far reaching implications.

So i take it all Commonwealth PL Second strings, and NL can only ride here for 2 years, then they have to go to Tier 2 ??, this is a bit of a minefield which the BSPA needs to tread carefully, especially if there are British riders out there who dont have a Team to ride for,because if the unemployed british riders decide to take this further, there could be some far reaching implications.

No, the PL and EL are professional leagues and as such you cannot ride in those leagues on a tier 5 visa.

2011 NATIONAL LEAGUE

TUESDAY FEBRUARY 01, 2011

... On the negative side an application was submitted by a potential promotion at Mildenhall but this was turned down....

How to dismiss a sad affair in one smug, off hand sentence :sad::angry:

No, Jayne's reply is correct. The EL and PL are professional leagues and any 'foreign' rider from a country outside the EEC needs a work permit (UK Border Agency Tier 2 Sponsorship) to compete in those leagues. It is just like coming to the UK from a foreign country to work in any other job. The NL is only semi professional and you do not need a work permit to race in that league. The UK Border Agency has an agreement with most commonwealth countries called the tier 5 youth mobility scheme. This allows commonwealth citizens to come to the UK for up to 2yrs and carry out 'casual' work like working in a bar / restaurant etc. Riding in the NL is treated this way. I had this discussion with a long standing NL promoter late last year and he ended up contacting the UK Border Agency who told him exactly what I've told you here.

So for Tier 2, the person has to be at the Top of his/her proffesion to gain a Work Permit ?? jeez how can one describe PL second strings as "Top Of The Proffesion" especially if a British rider has NO team to ride for.

How to dismiss a sad affair in one smug, off hand sentence :sad::angry:

Tell me about it!!! :cry: although some glimmer of hope remains, I hesitate to feel hope as it was so cruelly dashed last time

So for Tier 2, the person has to be at the Top of his/her proffesion to gain a Work Permit ?? jeez how can one describe PL second strings as "Top Of The Proffesion" especially if a British rider has NO team to ride for.

Well I guess if you have taken up a sport and then become a professional sportsman within that sport, you can be classed as the top of your profession. Until you turn professional you are still climbing the ranks.

There has to be a cut off somewhere, otherwise you could argue that Tomasz Gollob is the only speedway rider at the top of the profession and no-one else qualifies. Taking football as an analogy, there are players the length and breadth of the country trying to make the grade, but only those who are professional players are at the top of the profession. Otherwise no Championship or League One teams could sign a work permit player.

I take your point Steve, but there are far to many footballers taking up team spots, who really are Just average players, i can see the day coming and its not to far off, where the majority of England players will be from Championship Teams and not Premiership, FA take note of what has happened in Speedway, GB can barely put out a Team of Heat Leaders.

Hear Hear GP, The FA Premier League is well overstocked with Players from overseas no better than most of the UK Lads in the CC Championship or stuck on the bench or in the reserves.

Have we learnt anything from the South African disaster? I very much doubt it.

Hear Hear GP, The FA Premier League is well overstocked with Players from overseas no better than most of the UK Lads in the CC Championship or stuck on the bench or in the reserves.

Have we learnt anything from the South African disaster? I very much doubt it.

Apparently not - 'cos about 3 of the England cricket team who won the Ashes were South African...

let alone the World Cup in SA