British Speedway Forum
vog

Hackney Hawks

Never gonna happen.

Why not?

Seriously?

Not, I would think, at the athletics stadium BUT that is not the only option on the Olympic games site is it? :wink:

Do I?

Whether or not speedway does find a place somewhere on the site remains to be seen post-Olympics but I do know there are parties keen to try and persuade the relevant authorities that it should be so. I wish them well in their efforts! :wink:

P.S. I've received nothing from Bucky Palace so would be interested to learn where you heard of me being made a Lord! :lol: What expenses am I entitled to claim? :P

By the looks of it yes!

There would be no greater coup for Speedway than getting a track put in on the Olympic site and whilst there may well be interested parties my opinion is that it won't happen.

As for expenses, I reckon you get enough freebies as it is!! :P

I have to agree with all that Sean and i dont think that was a major consideration in the forming of this joint venture.More likely financial,with less meetings for Rye to have to fit in, and more for Lakeside to fill in weeks, and give more continuity to their programme..Plus both outfits are looking to bring on British youngsters to ocupy team berths at both tracks And as such both promotions are to be commended for their forward looking plans....It has to be hoped they will get the support they deserve..?

totally agree .... bringing on youngsters is the main aim here and using your own assets is the answer ... but thinking accross the fold here .. lakeside could easily have reverted back and used arena essex as the nat lge team if thats what they wanted .. and as said elsewhere the cobras haven't officially anywhere said they are not running.

totally agree .... bringing on youngsters is the main aim here and using your own assets is the answer ... but thinking accross the fold here .. lakeside could easily have reverted back and used arena essex as the nat lge team if thats what they wanted .. and as said elsewhere the cobras haven't officially anywhere said they are not running.

I can assure you the COBRAS are not running thats official. They are now the Hawks representing Rye and Lakeside...

It's a shame that one or two Rye House fans won't support a team that will be made up of the same riders they would have supported if they'd remained as the Cobras. Nonetheless there will be a few Hackney fans who probably wouldn't have gone to many Rye House NL matches who now will.

rye rode against hackney at hoddesdon in 1977 in the inter league cup. the hawks nicked the win 39-38! :shock:

Blimey! Either you have an exceptional memory or a well organised archive. I can't even find the programme for the one Sheffield meeting I went to last year. I do have a vague memory of that competition but only after reading your post.

I must admit I am surprised by the amount of Hackney hatred shown by some posters. I supported the Hawks from 1963 and the Rockets from 1974 and I knew many supporters at Hackney who supported Rye House as well. I know the KESTRELS gave the Rockets a bit of battering in the late eighties but that's in the past I find it bizzare that some supporters won't support the the riders who represented the Cobras last year just because this year they'll be called the Hawks!!?? Baffling! It's not really a Hackney team it's just a name. And beforeanyone threatens to beat me to a pulp for shouting for the Hawks AND the Rockets. I won't be attending any meetings at Rye next year as I am now exiled in the midlands, Sadly.

Hackney is Hackney no matter what spin you put on to the nickname

Hated at Rye simple

HATE - this is speedway, perhaps you should keep such nonsense to football

If you want HATE - Your Irons and my Lions, and we dont want that in speedway me thinks

Are you really going to stand on the Rye terraces shouting "Come on you Hawks"!!! :blink:

You remember the "Ronnie" days Shads back in the late 80's when Hackney were our biggest rivals like Kings Lynn have been during the last 5 years. I couldnt stand them (particularly Andy Galvin :wink: ). Theres no way Im going to start supporting them now..........and as for buying Hawks clothing, programme board etc - Im ashamed of you! :D

Sorry but can only ever support Rye House. May watch the odd one out of interest but wont be attending many. Shame. :(

Definitely WON'T be purchasing any Hawks memorabilia. It was just a general inquiry ... Although I was born less than a couple of miles from Hackney Stadium I only went there for less than half a dozen meetings and only one of those didn't involve the Rockets ... Hackney were the side I most wanted us to beat back in the 80's/90's. I can't recall many instances when we did, but I DO remember them knocking 60+ past us one Sunday afternoon at Hoddesdon while sitting with a couple of Hackney supporting friends ... A VERY painful afternoon :(

Edited by Shadders

Definitely WON'T be purchasing any Hawks memorabilia.

Fair enough Shadders and can we therefore assume someone bought you a pack of Rockets boxer shorts for Xmas? :wink::P:D

Fair enough Shadders and can we therefore assume someone bought you a pack of Rockets boxer shorts for Xmas? :wink::P:D

I've Rocket IN my boxer shorts ... will that do? ;)

Edited by Shadders

I never thought i'd see the day when Shadders and Bryn were flirting on the internet. I was wrong, as is this situation. ;)

I never thought i'd see the day when Shadders and Bryn were flirting on the internet. I was wrong, as is this situation. ;)

Oh dear :oops:

Quite sweet really :oops:

This venture will be welcomed by Hammers fans, as it will give us a chance to see our young British assets doing battle on our own track and will give us a break from a the same Elite teams. I am really looking forward to it, to be honest.

Who will line-up for the Hackney team?

Surely Hammers assets Jerran Hart, Marc Owen and Shane Hazelden. Essex boy Ben Morley would also be included. Who else?

Could Rob Mear ride in the NL?

This venture will be welcomed by Hammers fans, as it will give us a chance to see our young British assets doing battle on our own track and will give us a break from a the same Elite teams. I am really looking forward to it, to be honest.

Surely Hammers assets Jerran Hart, Marc Owen and Shane Hazelden. Essex boy Ben Morley would also be included. Who else?

There's a kid called Brendan Freemantle who's around 15 years old. I think he comes from Susses and is s'posed to be pretty good.

Could Rob Mear ride in the NL?

Mear isn't eligible to ride NL, neither is Jerran Hart (PL average now over 4 and in a PL side.)

I posted this a while back as a potential Cobras side, think it'd be just as good as a Hawks septet.

Tommy Allen 8.84

Marc Owen 6.72

Joe Jacobs 6.43

Danny Halsey 5.34

Ben Morley 4.78

Shane Hazelden 4.2

Brandon Freemantle 3.00

Total: 39.31

Full of upcoming youngsters, whilst Tommy Allen has been mentioned as looking to get back into the sport, it wasn't that long ago he was threatening to break into the EL as a reserve, having some of the meetings at Lakeside may give him more of a kick to ride NL and impress as he can get back to where he was IMO.