British Speedway Forum
gypilgrim

Sheffield & Scunthorpe Nl Team

Steve i believe Jayne has answered elsewhere, that ANY PL rider without a current team and whose average is under 6.00 may ride for a NL Team, but once he signs and rides for a PL Team he is inelegible for the NL.

As Malcolm has stated though a PL rider with an average of 5 or below can also ride in the NL although this is subject to the rider being under 25.

As Malcolm has stated though a PL rider with an average of 5 or below can also ride in the NL although this is subject to the rider being under 25.

Thanks, I think I get the rule now then:

Rider with PL average over 6.00 : ineligible

5.00 - 5.99 : now eligible to ride in the NL if they don't have a PL spot, but not allowed to double down?

Under 5.00 : Eligible for NL

What about when averages change during the season, do the new averages effect the rider's position in the team or are they allowed to continue?

For example, if Paul Cooper gets a PL spot mid-season and his average goes over 5.00 in the PL does that then exclude him from National League. What about if his average went over 6.00 in the PL? Similarly for Adam Roynon at Dudley.

Thanks, I think I get the rule now then:

Rider with PL average over 6.00 : ineligible

5.00 - 5.99 : now eligible to ride in the NL if they don't have a PL spot, but not allowed to double down?

Under 5.00 : Eligible for NL

What about when averages change during the season, do the new averages effect the rider's position in the team or are they allowed to continue?

For example, if Paul Cooper gets a PL spot mid-season and his average goes over 5.00 in the PL does that then exclude him from National League. What about if his average went over 6.00 in the PL? Similarly for Adam Roynon at Dudley.

The averages are as of the start of the season, if the rider meets all the criteria at the start then that is fine. Royno will be fine regardless of what happens in the PL as he is under 25 but Cooper is not so my understanding is if he gets a PL spot then he wouldnt be allowed to continue in the NL.

Yet another rule made silly why not just 5 or less and under 25 and leave it at that.Same with the stupid b w double after 10 and then after 12 why not just after 10 both times to make it simple or is that just two much like common sense. :wink:

It should be up to PL6 and if a Promoter wants to sign a rider on NL12 then that's up to them. Whoever the rider is and however good he is there is no way the club can gain any advantage as his average can only go one way. Also, I've never liked the age thing. What if there's a promising rider new to speedway that happens to be a bit older when he starts? For example didn't Danny Bird start quite late having switched to speedway from Moto X(?). Personally I think more should be done to try to tempt riders over from other disciplines that they've tried but not made a break through at. There might be any number of riders that have tried Moto X (as the obvious example) through their teens but jacked it in for a desk job if it didn't work out by the time they were 21(for eg). If we find 1 out of every 10 that's able to have a decent speedway career then it can only be good for British Speedway. The restriction should be based on the number of years racing speedway professionally not based on age. Just my humble opinion. :)

Unfortunately no fixture updates on either the Scunthorpe or Sheffield websites yet.

Looking through the BSPA site the "home" schedule is:

Sunday 3rd April v. Team Viking at Scunthorpe. ("Saints Select")

B/H Monday 25th April v. King's Lynn at Scunthorpe (follows Scorpions v. Somerset)

B/H Monday 2nd May v. Hackney at Scunthorpe (follows Scorpions v. Edinburgh)

Thursday 26th May v. Buxton and v. Stoke at Sheffield (double header, presumably ?)

B/H Monday 30th May v.Dudley at Scunthorpe (follows Scorpions v Plymouth)

Friday 15th July v. Newport at Scunthorpe (follows Scorpions v. Newport Wasps)

Thursday 11th August v. Isle of Wight and v. Belle Vue at Sheffield (double header, presumably ?)

B/H Monday 29th August v. Mildenhall (follows Scorpions PL "2nd Phase" match.)

Will the start time for the Sheffield double-headers be brought forward from the normal 7.45pm ? Is there a curfew ?

The Sheffield double headers look appealing. :) I think that a fair few would travel from Scunny for them. :approve:

May I suggest that the first name contacted to make up the Saints team is young Oliver Greenwood. He looked the part last Saturday afternoon. :approve:

Glad to see I'm not the only one impressed by Oliver at the recent Amateur Meeting. He is the No. 8 for the Saints this year. :approve:

Edited by Exiled Cuda

This young rider impressed at amateur meeting, grass tracker I believe. deserves his chance. he looked very fast on Saturday. I'm sure he'll have fun with the other Saints lads. enjoy Oliver and stay safe!

Noticed, Sheffield's home NL fixtures still not on their fixture page, the BSPA webpage seem to have changed the 26 May fixture back to open, and the Scunny webpage has NL fixtures for 26 May and 11 August, but both are TBC. Does anyone know (even the promoters??) when or of these fixtures are taking place? A little clarification would help.

Noticed, Sheffield's home NL fixtures still not on their fixture page, the BSPA webpage seem to have changed the 26 May fixture back to open, and the Scunny webpage has NL fixtures for 26 May and 11 August, but both are TBC. Does anyone know (even the promoters??) when or of these fixtures are taking place? A little clarification would help.

The TBC refers to the start time. However, I did have to take the fixtures on the BSPA website.

The TBC refers to the start time. However, I did have to take the fixtures on the BSPA website.

Are all NL fixtures at Scunthorpe now, Richard ?