British Speedway Forum
gypilgrim

Sheffield & Scunthorpe Nl Team

Looks like ive found my NL team to support this year! :) Excellent signing in Stefan Nielsen, known in Denmark as "Mini Crump" due to his colour scheme and hair :P The kid has a future in the sport, very level headed and takes alot on board when ur talking to him. Should be a success with the Saints this year.

I see on the BSPA website that scunthrope has signed Stefan Nielsen is this the same youngster who use to be KingsLynn mascot ?

Yes he sure is

I'll never abandon Buxton! I'll be supporting Richie and Stefan though. Does that end all the winter speculation of who I'm supporting? :P

So you would abandon Sheffield then.

NL 10 teams = 18 meetings......only 4 meetings at Sheffield. ?

I think if we had 9 meetings at Sheffield and 9 meetings at Scunthorpe some of the league may complain that we have too much home track advantage - they may also complain about having to travel to their home fixtures

Radical thinking, but what about just calling them `the saints` as opposed to the `Scunthorpe Saints` - they keep their identity and Sheffield supports don't have to support a Scunthorpe team

Radical thinking, but what about just calling them `the saints` as opposed to the `Scunthorpe Saints` - they keep their identity and Sheffield supports don't have to support a Scunthorpe team

Good suggestion, although doesn't always work.In other sports such re-branding hasn't always worked.

Possibly something to do with spnsorship - unless they can get a Sheffiels sponsor too. In which case calling them the Scunthorpe and Sheffield Saints would be useful(alphabetical - and training facilities are based at Scunthorpe).

Reading the Speedway Star, they will be known as Scunthorpe Saints when riding at Scunthorpe and possibly Sheffield Prowlers when racing at Sheffield, and sharing the name on the away matches.

But whats in a name, this for me a step in the right direction, for both clubs and young British riders.

Correct, Spinny.

What's in a name. The great thing about the tie-up is that the young lads will get to experience both the Scunthorpe and Sheffield tracks and add to their speedway education.

The new Anglo-Dane is an exciting addition. The last time that someone with dual-nationality started at reserve for Scunthorpe in the third tier he didn't do too badly, did he?

:wink:

Edited by Exiled Cuda

Correct, Spinny.

What's in a name. The great thing about the tie-up is that the young lads will get to experience both the Scunthorpe and Sheffield tracks and add to their speedway education.

The new Anglo-Dane is an exciting addition. The last time that someone with dual-nationality started at reserve for Scunthorpe in the third tier he didn't do too badly, did he?

:wink:

To right, for me this is a big announcement regarding the future of young riders in this country.

This will give them to experience differing tracks, and if successful might encourage other tracks share a National League teams, giving more riders opportunties, and who knows we might be able offer some places to Commonwealth riders if the idea takes off.

Reading the Speedway Star, they will be known as Scunthorpe Saints when riding at Scunthorpe and possibly Sheffield Prowlers when racing at Sheffield, and sharing the name on the away matches.

But whats in a name, this for me a step in the right direction, for both clubs and young British riders.

Will be scunthorpe saints for me this season because there are 6 assets in the team.

So you would abandon Sheffield then.

Silence!

Will be scunthorpe saints for me this season because there are 6 assets in the team.

And those assets should stay Scunny assets, what does mean if it proves the merger can to be a success that riders will be given a chance to join either club.

I would imagine that intially Scunny will hold the upper hand and they will get most riders joining their club.But riders will have an option to sign for either club and still not have it effect there National League place.

I would also imgine that riders will get the advantage of the training facilities as well as given prioty of 2nd half racing at Sheffield.

Excellent news! should benefit the team from riding at 2 different tracks. and Sheffield will have a good chance to look at upcoming riders who could be snapped up for the PL team.

Ash Birks should have plenty of track time this year, all looking good so far

Excellent news! should benefit the team from riding at 2 different tracks. and Sheffield will have a good chance to look at upcoming riders who could be snapped up for the PL team.

Ash Birks should have plenty of track time this year, all looking good so far

Too add to that youngsters can join the merger club, and have the chance to join either club when they are ready for the Premier League.