British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Phlipphlopp

Stenners Speedway Annual

Just fishing for a bit of info really , but while clearing out some of my dads gear i came across a 1948 edition of Stenners Speedway Annual . I've never of this before , and wondered if some of u fellows can shed a bit of light on it . Its about the same size as a paperback book and crammed with more statistics and reviews than u can shake a stick at , plus loads of pics . One article i'm about to read is an interview with Vic Duggan , by Charles Ochiltree (ran Coventry for years didnt he ?) .Can anyone shed any light on the Stenners Annuals , how many editions , length of run etc ? Any help would be appreciated .

Just fishing for a bit of info really , but while clearing out some of my dads gear i came across a 1948 edition of Stenners Speedway Annual . I've never of this before , and wondered if some of u fellows can shed a bit of light on it . Its about the same size as a paperback book and crammed with more statistics and reviews than u can shake a stick at , plus loads of pics . One article i'm about to read is an interview with Vic Duggan , by Charles Ochiltree (ran Coventry for years didnt he ?) .Can anyone shed any light on the Stenners Annuals , how many editions , length of run etc ? Any help would be appreciated .

Stenner's was the bible of speedway in the immediate post war period. I think the Stenner's were brothers (Tom and Jim) and the books ran annually from 1946 to 1954. In 1948 there were also three smaller editions for summer, autumn and winter.

Stenners annuals were published 1946-54 inclusive.

There were also 3 journals published summer, autumn & winter as companions to the 1948 annual. These tend to be harder to find than the annuals, even more so in their official hardback binder.

Thanks for the info guys. If anyones interested in having it when i've read it (no charge) , leave forwarding addy details in a message to me on here and i'll post it on , else it will only end up in a box in the loft !!!

Stenner's was the bible of speedway in the immediate post war period. I think the Stenner's were brothers (Tom and Jim) and the books ran annually from 1946 to 1954. In 1948 there were also three smaller editions for summer, autumn and winter.

Don't forget Tom Stenner's 'Thrilling the Million' from 1934, which is one of my all-time fave reads.

Steve

This is quite a collector's item - as a look on ebay will reveal!!