British Speedway Forum
Paul

Hackney V American Touring Team

“This is Hackney Speedway!” When the late, great Ted Sear used to announced at The Wick, those where the first words he used to open proceedings at the start of the Hawks season, on a Friday night, at eight o’clock of course.

The count down is on for the Hawks return. Just over two weeks and counting. Lets hope Craig Saul will use those exact words “ this is Hackney Speedway 2011” when Hackney’s opening fixture, which takes place on Saturday April 9th at Rye House when the reformed Hackney Hawks take on the USA Dream Team.

To hear the Magnificent Seven over the PA system, [last played at Rye House in 2006 for the Vic Harding Memorial] will no doubt send shivers down mine and many other former Hackney fans spine.

Expect to see a flock [is that what you call several Hawks?] of former Hawks favourites at the Rye track for Hackney’s opening meeting. There will no doubt be one or two surprises on the night and to see the Hawks body colours back on track, well, how fantastic will that be!

As for the meeting, well let’s hope for a Hawks win, but them there Americans will probably have other ideas!

Edited by Paul

"This is Hackney Speedway!" When the late, great Ted Sear used to announced at The Wick, those where the first words he used to open proceedings at the start of the Hawks season, on a Friday night, at eight o'clock of course.

The count down is on for the Hawks return. Just over two weeks and counting. Lets hope Craig Saul will use those exact words " this is Hackney Speedway 2011" when Hackney's opening fixture, which takes place on Saturday April 9th at Rye House when the reformed Hackney Hawks take on the USA Dream Team.

To hear the Magnificent Seven over the PA system, [last played at Rye House in 2006 for the Vic Harding Memorial] will no doubt send shivers down mine and many other former Hackney fans spine.

Expect to see a flock [is that what you call several Hawks?] of former Hawks favourites at the Rye track for Hackney's opening meeting. There will no doubt be one or two surprises on the night and to see the Hawks body colours back on track, well, how fantastic will that be!

As for the meeting, well let's hope for a Hawks win, but them there Americans will probably have other ideas!

Love the sentiment Paul and really looking forward to opening your season but just one small edit please - we are the American Touring Team.

We used to be the Dream team but for various reasons we needed to re-brand and are now the American Touring Team.

Same quality racing can be expected but new name since last tour in October 2010.

Looking forward to the tour, its all getting scarily close now!!! ohmy.gifbiggrin.gif

Love the sentiment Paul and really looking forward to opening your season but just one small edit please - we are the American Touring Team.

We used to be the Dream team but for various reasons we needed to re-brand and are now the American Touring Team.

Same quality racing can be expected but new name since last tour in October 2010.

Looking forward to the tour, its all getting scarily close now!!! ohmy.gifbiggrin.gif

One favour to ask please and that is for you NOT to bring your scissors to Rye House....... PLEASE DON'T - PRETTY PLEASE!!! :wink:

One favour to ask please and that is for you NOT to bring your scissors to Rye House....... PLEASE DON'T - PRETTY PLEASE!!! :wink:

Saving those for Shawn McConnell Bryn!!!icon_lol.gif

Looking forward to this one immensely - we helped relaunch one great club last year by racing and beating the Heathens in their first race since 1996. Now we have the privilige to race the Hackney Hawks - wow!

“This is Hackney Speedway!” When the late, great Ted Sear used to announced at The Wick, those where the first words he used to open proceedings at the start of the Hawks season, on a Friday night, at eight o’clock of course.

The count down is on for the Hawks return. Just over two weeks and counting. Lets hope Craig Saul will use those exact words “ this is Hackney Speedway 2011” when Hackney’s opening fixture, which takes place on Saturday April 9th at Rye House when the reformed Hackney Hawks take on the USA Dream Team.

Expect to see a flock [is that what you call several Hawks?] of former Hawks favourites at the Rye track for Hackney’s opening meeting. There will no doubt be one or two surprises on the night and to see the Hawks body colours back on track, well, how fantastic will that be!

As for the meeting, well let’s hope for a Hawks win, but them there Americans will probably have other ideas!

i preferred it more when ted done the announcing at the premier east london speedway venue - WEST HAM! :wink:

Oppps, it's now corrected :D

Oppps, it's now corrected :D

Thanks for that.

One other thing...........

Have you ordered the weather???biggrin.gif

Edited by Sandie

Ted Sear simply the best at his craft.

Although i admit i am a traditionalist i have to say his style was perfection and he has been often immitated but never equalled.

Think Craig is pretty good (nicknames apart) but i long for the day that races are introduced as printed in the programme red blue white and yellow. Sounds much more professional. I have no problem with lively presenters who make idiots of themselves but the announcer should be above the banter. Edwin Overland is particularly good but sadly since Teds day announcing has gone down the pan.

The USA match should be pretty good and a decent way for the hawks to start their season. I reckon the on track entertainment should be pretty good

Six days and counting! That’s how long before the tapes rise and the Hackney Hawks return back to the track. When the Hawks return back to track racing, pencil in Hackney legend Barry Thomas making an appearance and maybe he’ll have a ride around the track! He’s been practising so read into that what you may! :lol::lol:

Thommo my favourite rider ever. Was it a team riding scott autrey and ivan mauger he took at the wick one night?

Great memories of the man.

Ok its time to get sensible here – much as I want to see the Hawks back this is just a re-branded Cobra's team.:nono:

Len has seen the success of other tracks using old trackless team names and is jumping on the bandwagon in the hope of a quick few bucks. Next we will see the Wimbledon Dons racing out of Milton Keynes. :lol:

Len has the most expensive admission prices in the Premier League, equal to most Elite League teams, and likewise in the National League.

The NL admission is £12 (No concessions) and states on the website "includes a free race card" but you guessed it, not this Saturday when the programme cost £2.

I fully supported the Cobra's last year and will pick and choose which meetings I go to, I loved watching the then "dream team" last year but I will not pay those prices.

I'm afraid I'm off to Eastbourne with my £14.

Sorry just had to get all that off my chest. :drink:

Good luck with the Relaunch of Hackney & to the American tourists. Have a great night all.

Ok its time to get sensible here – much as I want to see the Hawks back this is just a re-branded Cobra's team.:nono:

Len has seen the success of other tracks using old trackless team names and is jumping on the bandwagon in the hope of a quick few bucks. Next we will see the Wimbledon Dons racing out of Milton Keynes. :lol:

Len has the most expensive admission prices in the Premier League, equal to most Elite League teams, and likewise in the National League.

The NL admission is £12 (No concessions) and states on the website "includes a free race card" but you guessed it, not this Saturday when the programme cost £2.

I fully supported the Cobra's last year and will pick and choose which meetings I go to, I loved watching the then "dream team" last year but I will not pay those prices.

I'm afraid I'm off to Eastbourne with my £14.

Sorry just had to get all that off my chest. :drink:

There's a flaw in your argument...: it's utter nonsense! You're completely ignoring the fact that this team is sharing its home meetings between Rye and Lakeside and that there IS a campaign (of which this is a key part) to get Speedway accepted as part of the Olympic 'legacy' for the precise reason that Hackney Speedway was on the very site of the Olympic Park.

And is it so expensive..? A red herring too IMHO...

There's a flaw in your argument...: it's utter nonsense! You're completely ignoring the fact that this team is sharing its home meetings between Rye and Lakeside and that there IS a campaign (of which this is a key part) to get Speedway accepted as part of the Olympic 'legacy' for the precise reason that Hackney Speedway was on the very site of the Olympic Park.

And is it so expensive..? A red herring too IMHO...

Yes it is expenisve paying that to watch juniors when you can watch the best riders in the country for £2 more.