British Speedway Forum

Not a problem: qualifying teams' riders had to be a)fit to ride & B) have completed a certain number of matches for their club (I don't recall the exact number, because i) i have no need to retain the number and ii) I don't actually care what it is / was :lol: ). Leicester, as hosts, didn't qualify & therefore the qualifying number of matches doesn't apply.

The anally retentive on here would have preferred that Leicester ran without Karlsson, Nemo etc. or even better hadn't been allowed in the meeting at all - not least of all because it would have started a whole mass debate about "poor crowd" "loss making event" and all the rest. I hope that helps.

Thank you, that helps and sounds about right. I wonder what would have been said if Leicester had won the meeting! :)

So you didn't notice the rain then? :unsure:

Er...yes I was standing in it for an hour before the meeting started. :blink:

I suppose I'm going to sound like someone who is knocking Leicester speedway, and that's honestly not my intention. I love the sport and have been to every home meeting, plus a few away. I go to Sheffield and Scunthorpe on a regular basis as well. I think you'll agree I've given Leicester a good go. I can put up with rain, bad presentation and long delays. But, the racing is terrible if you don't make the gate, 9 out of 10 times you've lost.

It's very difficult to find somewhere to stand that you can actually get a good view of the track. And when it does rain its a nightmare.

I'm not jumping on the band wagon. It's a fact...the track is rubbish. Let me know when something has been done about it and I will return.......Sunday was, for me, the last straw.

Not only the track, of course. I wonder if some of those people have a vested interest.

The rain can't have helped, but it's debatable whether the racing would have been much better even in perfect conditions. There is only so much they can do when a track takes such a soaking. However, on the other side of the fence, in a stadium supposedly built for the 21st century, no spectator should be expected to put up with the disgusting mudbath on the corners, especially at these admission prices. It is taking the pee to then expect those same people to pay what is effectively full price again for the restaging of the 12 heat final. Maybe they'll make it 16 heats so they can fleece us for a new programme too.

The presentation was ordinary at best. Spectators aren't interested in inane banter between Popple and the man in the box. The show isn't about them. Their job is to keep us informed and entertained, even during long delays. It is lazy to simply play endless music. Popple should be seeking out riders etc to interview, not just running for cover when it rains. They should be prepared, but they clearly weren't. Popple didn't even know the semis were being run alternate race by race rather than one semi after the other.

Yesterday showed that Leicester isn't yet fit to stage a big meeting if it rains. Interestingly, the Leicester Mercury said the capacity for the 4s was 4,000, not the 5,000 of the opening night, so it appears the capacity was originally set too high. They desperately need to improve the standing areas if they hope to attract such numbers.

Good comments, the corner banks give a good view but it was perilous walking around.

FWIW I don't think it's right to criticise the track after yesterday. Yes, the racing was non-existent but after the rain it took I don't believe any track in the country would be any different.

The Popple person was unbelievably annoying, now sitting at number 2 in my list of annoying centre green announcers, behind Porkie at Wolves. I didn't need to be called a 'methanol fan' in between each heat, along with constant reminders of how we were watching 'great racing' and 'fantastic speedway', when we clearly weren't seeing anything of the sort. I understand that these people have to big up the action but please don't treat us as idiots.

The Popple person was unbelievably annoying, now sitting at number 2 in my list of annoying centre green announcers, behind Porkie at Wolves. I didn't need to be called a 'methanol fan' in between each heat, along with constant reminders of how we were watching 'great racing' and 'fantastic speedway', when we clearly weren't seeing anything of the sort. I understand that these people have to big up the action but please don't treat us as idiots.

Don't get me started on him. ....I'm not a methanol fan. I think his finest moment was calling Darkin our Russian Rocket..........words fail me.

So, we get £5 off after standing in the rain, the mud and the cold to witness 16 heats of processional racing? That's a p*ss take surely? Aside from the obvious financial con being presented here, whoever's calling the shots should've tried standing on the mudheaps we had on the bends and show some respect for the fans. I felt especially sorry for all the ladies in flat sandals, trying to negotiate the puddles and slippery mud with ruined shoes and brown feet. Looked like Glastonbury where I was!! For god's sake Hemsley, get some mill waste put down before you get your shiny BSPA shoes dirty.

No-one can be blamed for the weather but certain people can be blamed for the conditions over 3,000 people subsequently had to put up with, and for this completely blinkered approach to the re-staging - which offers no incentive to those who travelled to Leicester, or indeed, to any of us who have already paid out for 12 heats of the 16 due in the final.

Finally, congratulations to the four Lions for showing much greater gating prowess than the other teams. The irony of such an awful experience for this long time Lions fan was that we could, and probably would, have won the thing!

Real shame about yesterday - we came down from Manchester to see the meeting and felt sorry for the Leicester Promotion when the weather gods decided to wash the meeting out. I also agree with other posters that the track may need altering, but maybe all it needs is to bed in for another year. Could certainly do with concreting the terracing though as that mud was treacherous underfoot. But these are only small quibbles - Leicester looks to be a fantastic little speedway operation, and despite these little niggles, they should go from strength to strength with the level of support they have. I will certainly pay another visit in the future, and hope other people do too.

Edited by Killer Cat from Mars

.....nightshift......

I'm not jumping on the band wagon. It's a fact...the track is rubbish. Let me know when something has been done about it and I will return.......Sunday was, for me, the last straw.

I didn't go yesterday but I too won't be going either until the racing is better because I resent paying more to get in than at Coventry to watch Elite League. If I had been sat at home for the past 28 years I'd probably feel like a lot of other Leicester fans and just be grateful to have speedway back but I've not so I expect more. I've been regularly to Brandon since 1984, also occasionally each season to Wolverhampton, Oxford, Peterborough and various other tracks when on holiday.

Hopefully something will be done in the Winter to improve things but it's just a shame with a green field to work on they didn't get it right in the first place. :sad:

.....Lions fan since 1972.......

.... there are NO muddy banks, the supporters areas are baked hard, the track's looking good....

You need sueing under the Trade Discription Act. :lol:

Edited by Gemini

It was £20 for the entire meeting yesterday, but anyone with a ticket gets a £5 discount for the re-staging of the final? :blink:

In that case, I'm glad I didn't go!

Don't get me started on him. ....I'm not a methanol fan. I think his finest moment was calling Darkin our Russian Rocket..........words fail me.

Methanol fans let's go racing :lol: if he genuinely believed what he was saying he was the only person in that stadium who thought he saw any good racing yesterday :rolleyes:

So, we get £5 off after standing in the rain, the mud and the cold to witness 16 heats of processional racing? That's a p*ss take surely? Aside from the obvious financial con being presented here, whoever's calling the shots should've tried standing on the mudheaps we had on the bends and show some respect for the fans. I felt especially sorry for all the ladies in flat sandals, trying to negotiate the puddles and slippery mud with ruined shoes and brown feet. Looked like Glastonbury where I was!! For god's sake Hemsley, get some mill waste put down before you get your shiny BSPA shoes dirty.

My shoes were the least of my worries (though they are in a bit of a state this morning :(), I was doing my best not to end up on my backside! Very dangerous at one point, agree with you they need to do something to control that before someone gets hurt.

We left straight after the semi finals yesterday, probably would have stayed if we'd made the final but difficult watching poor speedway in soaking wet clothes and mud so had enough and went home, in the end it was the right call as we were well on our way up the M1 when I got a text to confirm it had been called off. Can't control the weather, but there are things that could have been done to improve the experience we had yesterday. As above, the conditions we stood in were a disgrace and the presentation just isn't enough to keep people going. It's no good playing (rubbish) music, with someone interrupting every so often to say "just an update.. we're giving it 10 mins". Very disappointed and will be thinking twice about future trips to Leicester until improvements are made.

Edited by tigerblues

Myself and a friend were anticipating his "methanol fans let's go racing!" and we got it off to a fine art So much so we started coming up with new ones, "methanol fans let's go baking" etc. :D

I said at the time it was just dead during the interval and he should have been out there talking to people, to the crowd, it's no good to bog off inside and leave everybody getting soaked wondering what the hell was going on!

I did enjoy the slight sing along to Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life though :t:

I think the track held up well considering the torrents that fell on it before it started.

Edited by 40-38

It was £20 for the entire meeting yesterday, but anyone with a ticket gets a £5 discount for the re-staging of the final? :blink:

In that case, I'm glad I didn't go!

Alot of disgust yesterday about the insult of £5 off the conclusion of the fours, we went to watch a full meeting of the premier fours at a charge of £20, now it will cost £35 to have watched the fours plus extra travel,ect. When will speedway look after the fans.

The mud was very dangerous and i hope nobody got hurt, as for the racing, again it was so boring and the restaging should be taken away from leicester as the track is not fit for speedway racing.

Speedway ripping off fans again, what a surprise

I didn't go yesterday but I too won't be going either until the racing is better because I resent paying more to get in than at Coventry to watch Elite League. If I had been sat at home for the past 28 years I'd probably feel like a lot of other Leicester fans and just be grateful to have speedway back but I've not so I expect more. I've been regularly to Brandon since 1984, also occasionally each season to Wolverhampton, Oxford, Peterborough and various other tracks when on holiday.

Hopefully something will be done in the Winter to improve things but it's just a shame with a green field to work on they didn't get it right in the first place. :sad:

You need sueing under the Trade Discription Act. :lol:

Somebody has got to come out in Leicesters defence and that is obviously me.....You are clearly a coventry fan who very nearly lost your team this winter and after a maelstome of FB groups Radio interviews and campaigning (this may have helped who knows) got it back.

I have taken the 'sad git' approach and checked back on the updates on the fanatstic racing you get at Brandon and I'm affraid the texter seems to have missed off all the great passes and 'on the line winning you get there'. and if time was available and could be bothered I would find it pretty similar at other tracks.

I am sorry you feel you can't bring yourself to come but I am getting a little tired of the hatchet job on Leicester Speedway week after week. No fans shouldn't just be greatful for anything at any price just because it is back but some people could do with looking at their own back yard before they criticise other people's.

Maybe the price is a little high (a couple of quid I throw that away in excess weekly shopping) but the stadium is in it's first season and some money does have to be recouped. When increments and so on come round next year and the year after the price will reflect the improvement in finances at the club.I believe the price for the 4's is set by the BSPA as is the program.

I was dissapointed with the call off and I shall be going to the re-run if I am not busy with a previous engagement.

Nobody denies that there are teething issues and the banks can get a little muddy in the rain as for tretarous and dangerous conditions I didn't feel like slipping once.

Sorry I could have replied to any number of posts on here but selected yours.

Edited by TMW

Real shame about yesterday - we came down from Manchester to see the meeting and felt sorry for the Leicester Promotion when the weather gods decided to wash the meeting out. I also agree with other posters that the track may need altering, but maybe all it needs is to bed in for another year. Could certainly do with concreting the terracing though as that mud was treacherous underfoot. But these are only small quibbles - Leicester looks to be a fantastic little speedway operation, and despite these little niggles, they should go from strength to strength with the level of support they have. I will certainly pay another visit in the future, and hope other people do too.

Leicester know the track is not right and Glyn, Alan Bridget and Colin Meredith have agreed the solution to the matter but nothing can be done until the close season.

No there was not much passing during the fours but if the likes of Jan Graverson can come from the back, admittedly on his own track, then why couldnt some of the others do the same. Also, if you look at the updates, there were a couple of races which were tight, such as when Jan held an opponent back for four laps even though he tried every route to get past him.

I have to agree that the £5 discount off the restaging is dire. But the impression i get from a few posters on here is that they are blaming Leicester Speedway for this. It is not Leicester Speedway who set the prices for yesterday (£20) or the £5 discount off the restaging.

It is the BSPA who set the prices & take the money laughing all the way to the bank , it will be restaged at Leicester for one reason , the big crowds that they are currently pulling in & the BSPA are thinking its easy way to make money. They didn't care about if the racing is limited to gating or the muddy banks.

Fact of the matter is at start of the season only Leicester & Glasgow applied for the meeting & at the time Peterborough were searching on the floor for their dummy that they had spat out.

I have to say it does amaze me that the track is soaking wet & on verge of a call off yet the Leicester riders rode the best they have ever ridden since the start of the season.