British Speedway Forum

PERHAPS he isn't worried about making money ...

PHERHAPS its to FAR away. SGP in not F1. Always been a fan of series but i wouldnt go that far to watch.

PHERHAPS its to FAR away. SGP in not F1. Always been a fan of series but i wouldnt go that far to watch.

I VERY much doubt that they expect much of an influx of fans from outside NZ and Oz. That would just be a bonus. Auckland is a well-populated city and from my recent visit to both the north and south islands, there would be a tremendous surge of interest from Kiwis to a SGP event there. And places like Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane are only three hours by plane. That will be their fan base not Europe.

Auckland is a well-populated city and from my recent visit to both the north and south islands, there would be a tremendous surge of interest from Kiwis to a SGP event there.

London is a huge city, but it doesn't support a speedway team... :unsure:

I would agree there seems to be a reasonable amount of interest in speedway in New Zealand as a whole (at least in the Kiwi sense of 'speedway'), but Western Springs only has something like a 30,000 capacity and even filling that would be a big ask for a relative minority sport in a small country.

I'm assuming the track and stadium would need to be brought up to FIM standards, there would be the cost of shipping in the riders, support teams, officials and dignitaries (can't see anyone paying for a trip to NZ out of the usual prize money), and presumably IMG/BSI would want their franchising fee on top of that. Would think there would need to be significant local sponsorship or government authority support, but the Kiwis don't tend to throw their money around at the best of times, let alone at the moment.

London is a huge city, but it doesn't support a speedway team... :unsure:

I would agree there seems to be a reasonable amount of interest in speedway in New Zealand as a whole (at least in the Kiwi sense of 'speedway'), but Western Springs only has something like a 30,000 capacity and even filling that would be a big ask for a relative minority sport in a small country.

I'm assuming the track and stadium would need to be brought up to FIM standards, there would be the cost of shipping in the riders, support teams, officials and dignitaries (can't see anyone paying for a trip to NZ out of the usual prize money), and presumably IMG/BSI would want their franchising fee on top of that. Would think there would need to be significant local sponsorship or government authority support, but the Kiwis don't tend to throw their money around at the best of times, let alone at the moment.

AUCKLAND doesn't have to support a speedway team just a one-off Grand Prix. There is no doubt that people from the south island, and especially Christchurch, will happily make the journey north. And who says they need 30,000? Your grasp of what IMG/BSI require is quite often wide of the mark as it is on this occasion. It will be a partnership between IMG/BSI and the local promoter Bill Buckley but the key will be a long term, at least three probably five years, commitment. The cost of materials for the track and various other items can be amortised and plans to transport riders, their mechanics and equipment were already in place had Tauranga gone ahead in March.

Motor sport in general, including bikes, is very popular in New Zealand and the current tour there by Briggo has illustrated the level of interest in speedway that has laid dormant but is now coming back to life.

The support of the city of Auckland is important but the key remains Buckley, a remarkable man and a speedway fan and his imagination has been captured by the prospect of staging such a prestigious event at his beloved Western Springs.

Try being optimistic for a change.

Your grasp of what IMG/BSI require is quite often wide of the mark as it is on this occasion. It will be a partnership between IMG/BSI and the local promoter Bill Buckley but the key will be a long term, at least three probably five years, commitment.

It's not what IMG/BSI require because they usually don't take the financial risk on GPs. It's the local promoters who have make sure they're not going to take a bath, unless the NZ GP is indeed going to be a jointly promoted event with shared risks.

I wish NZ the best of luck, although speedway and optimism are strange bed fellows... :blink:

It's not what IMG/BSI require because they usually don't take the financial risk on GPs. It's the local promoters who have make sure they're not going to take a bath, unless the NZ GP is indeed going to be a jointly promoted event with shared risks.

I wish NZ the best of luck, although speedway and optimism are strange bed fellows... :blink:

HAVE mentioned here before, your idea of what MIG/BSI require is no more than guesswork and usually way off target.

Apart from being a passionate Speedway Fan, Western Springs Promoter Bill Buckley has another interest, which may account for his almost-magnetic attraction to the Sport - http://www.buckleysystems.com/ - check it out.

The thought of Western Springs brings back memories of Rock Concerts I attended there in the 70s, including Fleetwood Mac and the Beach Boys.

HAVE mentioned here before, your idea of what MIG/BSI require is no more than guesswork and usually way off target.

Mention all you like, but you noticeably never enlighten us with any substantive information on the subject. There's plenty of information around with respect to what BSI demand, from a variety of sources as well.

AUCKLAND doesn't have to support a speedway team just a one-off Grand Prix. There is no doubt that people from the south island, and especially Christchurch, will happily make the journey north. And who says they need 30,000? Your grasp of what IMG/BSI require is quite often wide of the mark as it is on this occasion. It will be a partnership between IMG/BSI and the local promoter Bill Buckley but the key will be a long term, at least three probably five years, commitment. The cost of materials for the track and various other items can be amortised and plans to transport riders, their mechanics and equipment were already in place had Tauranga gone ahead in March.

Motor sport in general, including bikes, is very popular in New Zealand and the current tour there by Briggo has illustrated the level of interest in speedway that has laid dormant but is now coming back to life.

The support of the city of Auckland is important but the key remains Buckley, a remarkable man and a speedway fan and his imagination has been captured by the prospect of staging such a prestigious event at his beloved Western Springs.

Definately Philip.... I for one would make the trip up from Christchurch, and there would be plenty of others that I've met at Moore Park who would do the same.

I also know of a few in the UK that have talked about coming over should there be one.... a good excuse for them to finally come see me again too, although I think my house may get a bit full!

Mention all you like, but you noticeably never enlighten us with any substantive information on the subject. There's plenty of information around with respect to what BSI demand, from a variety of sources as well.

THAT'S their business, not mine nor yours. And who is to say your variety of sources are reliable. Every deal is different, I'm sure, but having been in Auckland a week ago I can assure you every effort is being made to get this off the ground.

WHY is there the need to start every post with a word entirely made up of capitals?

And who is to say your variety of sources are reliable.

They're not my sources - it's information published in the public domain. To give you one specific example though, are the disgruntled Gorzow councillors who released the contractual details of their GP agreement to the press in 2009, a reliable source or not? Straightforward question - yes or no?

Whilst I'd agree that contractual matters are really none of anyone's business other than the parties concerned, I also do wonder why the main trade magazine has never seen fit to ask why several million pounds are apparently lost to the industry each year... :blink:

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

They're not my sources - it's information published in the public domain. To give you one specific example though, are the disgruntled Gorzow councillors who released the contractual details of their GP agreement to the press in 2009 ...

Well, it was actually the SWC, but nevermind. It's good to see Mr Rising knows his own opinion on this subject, at least. As it goes, I think IMG/BSI would tailor their demands depending on the circumstances and in the interests of expanding the series outside of Europe I would guess they wouldn't hold out for too much.

Well, it was actually the SWC, but nevermind.

I thought it was both SWC and GPs, LL?

Will we be seeing you and Humphrey Downunder if this one gets off the ground?