British Speedway Forum
ladyluck

Olsen Wants Eighteen In 2012

Just a slight diversion from the topic. Got to say i'm impressed that the Star seems to be producing 'exclusives' as in fresh unpublished news most weeks now. I'll always buy the magazine as it's a fantastic state of the art publication for the sport, but nice to see one can often expect a new story.

Also, well pleased that someone at the highest levels of the magazine is becoming considerably more active in the forums of late. I don't think people realise the importance and significance of the magazine to the health of the sport.

Oh yeah! what's with unambitious Olsen only wanting 18 lol.

Edited by manchesterpaul

NZ, if it happens, will be a five year deal ...

Remind me of how long the deal was for Gelsenkirchen and whether that was kept.

Remind me of how long the deal was for Gelsenkirchen and whether that was kept.

WHAT has that got to do with NZ? Why are you so negative?

If someone came along and offered me half-a-million quid plus per year to work much less than I do now, then of course I'd be likely to take them up on the offer. However, it simply isn't going to happen, and such is the case with the SGP.

Maybe its her/his Liver playing up?

I should have thought that was obvious. I've a vague remembrance that the deal with Gelsenkirchen was three years and it lasted just one year. I realise Gelsenkirchen holds bad memories for you. After all, didn't your magazine dismiss Polish rumours that the 2008 German GP wouldn't take place?

Incidentally, it looks like Sparta Wroclaw have doubts about the business sense of hosting GPs:

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dsportowefakty%2Bzuzel%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1G1TSEA_ENUK335%26prmd%3Divns&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=pl&u=http://www.sportowefakty.pl/zuzel/2011/04/14/krystyna-kloc-o-organizacji-grand-prix-zastanawiam-sie-czy-t/&usg=ALkJrhijx7t3LODbzw7Kg98q97Ida1p-0A

Edited by ladyluck

I should have thought that was obvious. I've a vague remembrance that the deal with Gelsenkirchen was three years and it lasted just one year. I realise Gelsenkirchen holds bad memories for you. After all, didn't your magazine dismiss Polish rumours that the 2008 German GP wouldn't take place?

Incidentally, it looks like Sparta Wroclaw have doubts about the business sense of hosting GPs:

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dsportowefakty%2Bzuzel%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1G1TSEA_ENUK335%26prmd%3Divns&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=pl&u=http://www.sportowefakty.pl/zuzel/2011/04/14/krystyna-kloc-o-organizacji-grand-prix-zastanawiam-sie-czy-t/&usg=ALkJrhijx7t3LODbzw7Kg98q97Ida1p-0A

THE first GP in Gelsenkirchen was actually successful thanks in no small part to the co-operation of the stadium authorities ... also a key factor at the Millennium. However, a change of personnel there brought in a regime that actually didn't like the idea of speedway there and made life very difficult. This had absolutely no impact on the fiasco that took place that fateful weekend but did mean that neither side was keen to continue.

Wroclaw may well have doubts about the viability of staging a Grand Prix but as well as the three Polish tracks staging rounds this year others are desperate to get on the bandwagon. A key factor in promoting and hosting GPs these days is the support of the towns/cities/districts in which they take place, and that applies to Cardiff, Copenhagen and Gothenburg as much as Terenzano and Malilla. There are similarities with the FI model though obviously on a much smaller scale.

And I still think you should try a day with the glass half full rather than half empty.

THE first GP in Gelsenkirchen was actually successful ...

And the second one? How bad were ticket sales? How did certain Poles know so far in advance that it wasn't going to happen?

However, now you talk about a five year deal for Auckland, but isn't it the case that a three year deal was signed with Gelsenkirchen and that only one GP was staged?

And the second one? How bad were ticket sales? How did certain Poles know so far in advance that it wasn't going to happen?

However, now you talk about a five year deal for Auckland, but isn't it the case that a three year deal was signed with Gelsenkirchen and that only one GP was staged?

TWO actually whatever the outcome of the second attempt. Have already explained why both sides agreed to tear up the three-year deal.

I appreciate there are some people (Poles and you amongst them) who believe in the conspiracy theory about the aborted German GP but I can put my hand on my heart, swear on my mother's grave and so on and state categorically that every effort, at huge expense, was made to get the track right. As the man charged with keeping the media informed that fateful weekend I was well aware of what was going on and anyone who believes that the event was deliberately sabotaged needs sectioning. It simply isn't true. Gate receipts are only one component of GP finances.

And a huge number of lessons were learned which is why Rob Armstrong, IMG'S Global Head of Motor Sport, will not sanction an event in New Zealand until they are 100 per cent sure that they can provide a track not only suitable for GP racing but one that can also, if necessary, withstand poor weather in Auckland.

These are facts and, of course, you are at liberty to believe or disbelieve them but if you select the latter your obviously substantial knowledge of speedway will be seriously flawed.

PROBABLY says more about you than him ...

NZ, if it happens, will be a five year deal ...

quote]

my opinion as i am allowed as you are. :angry:

It was reported in the Spar early the following season that some 5000 tickets were delivered to the unhappy fans left without speedway in the Gelsenkirchen fiasco.

people are not always negative. dont think auz or nz are sustanable. the sport is not even big in these places.

its a good product keep as is and maybe look elsewhere for new venues. dont think time is right at moment.

we were longest serving sponsor bsi had . took a year out as it had got stale i thought, 2010 was good again with the changes so were be back in 2011,thats not negitive.

TWO actually whatever the outcome of the second attempt. Have already explained why both sides agreed to tear up the three-year deal.

One, actually.

I also dont understand the negativity in this thread.... the simple fact of the matter is that when you look around at other motor sports it becomes obvious that speedway is an untapped resource..... it is still nowhere near to fulfilling its potential

I personally believe that its the team side of it that we all know and love that holds it back because the rules are too complex and potential fans are just not used to the concept..... a pursuit of establishing an individual side of it would do all sides of the sport no end of good...... so if a slice of the riders become dedicated to the individual side that would be fine by me.... there would soon be another crop to replace them in the leagues

IMO BSI/IMG have already been carrying out the good work getting the sponsors in and then building on them season after season.... and if the big name brands start to come in.. the money involved will gush and there should be a trickle down process

Looking at sports such as MotoGP and Supercross it is obviously an option to create 'teams' or 'pairs' for the GP's but i'm not sure it is necessary tbh...... the one big exception for me is if it would help the Japanese manufacturers to get involved as I believe that more than anything would propel speedway into being a more recognised sport on the world stage

first things first though...... the GP's could start a month earlier ..... i'm sure in some cases they dont have to run fortnightly...... and southern hemisphere GP's can run in the off season........ so where is the panic and drama thats in this thread?

Edited by spook

And a huge number of lessons were learned which is why Rob Armstrong, IMG'S Global Head of Motor Sport, will not sanction an event in New Zealand until they are 100 per cent sure that they can provide a track not only suitable for GP racing but one that can also, if necessary, withstand poor weather in Auckland.

Would have thought a roof was the most effective way of ensuring a GP goes ahead, but this is speedway we're talking about... ;)

Strange that Poles were talking about the German GP being moved to Bydgoscsz at least a couple of weeks in the advance of the Gelsenkirchen fiasco, which makes it all a bit of mystery.