British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Islander15

Belle Vue Vs Isle Of Wight

Wightlink Islanders second meeting of the season takes place at the Wave 105 Smallbrook Stadium on Tuesday evening against a Birmingham Bulls side managed by Great Britain Under-21 boss Phil Morris, Gates open at 6.00pm - Parade at 7.20pm first race at 7:30pm.

Following the Islanders success last Tuesday in their opening fixture against Sittingbourne with a solid team performance winning 57-39 expectations are high for more of the same before the Islanders first National league fixture away in Manchester the following day against Belle Vue Colts who have come into the National league this year.

The Bulls opened their season almost three weeks ago against the USA Touring Team coming out on top 60-35. Stoke Potters Tim Webster top scored that night with 13+1 while current Islanders Brendan Johnson 4+1 and Paul Starke 13 featured for the Bulls that night.

The rest of the Bulls side on Tuesday consist of Webster's Potters team mate Jamie Pickard, Aaron Baseby returns for the second week in a row after signing for Mildenhall Fen Tigers, joining him are two of his new teammates Daniel Halsey and Jack Hargreaves who makes a return to the sport after a break. From Hackney Hawks Morris brings in Shane Hazelden and completing the side is Luke Priest who comes in from last year's champions Buxton Hitmen.

Looking ahead to Wednesday, the Colts promotion have put together a strong team who ran out 60-31 winners in their opening home fixture against Sheffield Prowlers. Star of the show was teenager Jason Garrity who proved why he is one of the hottest properties in speedway after posting a 15 point maximum. The Colts have been inactive since that opening fixture a month ago, several of the Colts riders have been taking on guest bookings so the Islanders will face a tough fixture against the likes of Garrity, Byron Bekker, Adam McKinna, Scott Richardson, Kyle Howarth, Chris Widman and Karl Mason.

Meanwhile the Islanders take a break from team action the following week [Tuesday 3rd May] when Smallbrook hosts the 'New Holmwood Cup.' Promoter Chris Hunt said; "The New Holmwood Cup will be a best Pairs event, we are hopeful of a good field which we are putting together with good entertainment on track."

Promoter Kevin Shepherd added; "We'll be looking for more of the same from the lads, another couple of solid performances will help us see off the Bulls and get a good result in Manchester to get the Islanders some points on the board."

Hunt and Shepherd were particularly pleased with the returns from Lee Smethills who top scored with 13 points and reserve John Resch who weighed in with 9+5 with some very intelligent riding against Sittingbourne. Boding well for the season there were good solid points returns from Paul Starke 8, Rob Smith 7+2 and Brendan Johnson 7+3 with skipper Nick Simmons notching 11+1. The only downside was Tom Hill who was restricted to a second place in his first ride before blowing his engine and bending his forks and diamond in his second ride, he played no further part in the meeting.

Hunt added; "Tom [Hill] was unlucky, hopefully as he has ridden plenty of laps at Belle Vue his luck will change this week, Nick [simmons] and Lee [smethills] both have good track knowledge of the Kirkmanshulme Lane track and should be able to help out the rest of the team."

Tuesday Team line ups:

WIGHTLINK ISLANDERS

1 Paul Starke

2 Rob Smith

3 Lee Smethills

4 Brendan Johnson

5 Nick Simmons ©

6 Tom Hill

7 John Resch

Team managers: Chris Hunt and Kevin Shepherd

BIRMINGHAM BULLS

1 Jack Hargreaves

2 Luke Priest

3 Tim Webster

4 Shane Hazelden

5 Daniel Halsey

6 Aaron Baseby

7 Jamie Pickard

Team manager: Phil Morris

REFEREE: Christina Turnbull

Wednesdays Team line ups: (The Islanders remain as above)

BELLE VUE COLTS

1 Byron Bekker ©

2 Scott Richardson

3 Kyle Howarth

4 Karl Mason

5 Adam McKinna

6 Chris Widman

7 Jason Garrity

from here

Good luck to the Islanders in these 2. The Bulls definitely look stronger than Sittingbourne last week, and I doubt Belle Vue will lose at home all season

Good luck to the Bulls on the Island tomorrow, I think we have quite a decent side certaintly at reserve anyway. I'm glad we have sone riders that were involved in the USA Match, Hargreaves and Webster. Webster was excellent then so hoping for more of the same tomorrow.

I do think we will win. Jamie Pickard has been in excellent form for Stoke and hes at reserve for us tomorrow aswell. Aaron Baseby has started the season pretty well for Mildenhall and scored solidly in their opening two meetings. So we could be strong at reserve which is good.

Good Luck Bulls! :drink:

Edited by Brummie Kev

Is anyone able to text scores from the Belle Vue-IOW meeting on Wednesday to the updates site. I'm happy to keep you informed of the pairs event (which btw I think is daft them being on the same day). If so can you please pm me here or on the updates site

Well done to the Bulls on a good win, now lets beat them Heathens on Sunday. :party::drink:

Nice to see the 2 Stoke boys score well! :D

Looking forward to the Colts meeting later today and the return of ex-Aces Nick Simmons and Lee Smethills. Think the Colts will win by about 15 points.

Is anyone able to text scores from the Belle Vue-IOW meeting on Wednesday to the updates site. I'm happy to keep you informed of the pairs event (which btw I think is daft them being on the same day). If so can you please pm me here or on the updates site

Still looking for a texter, anyone...

Thanks

think the iow will beat the bulls but could lose very heavily at belle vue

Bearing in mind the first of your predictions above, does this mean that the Wightlink Islanders are likely to win tonight? :wink:

Re tonight's meeting, if anyone is going and can get me two programmes, then please PM me - unfortunately I can't be in two places at once and will be at Kin's Lynn.

Looking back to last night's action on the Island, a five raid paid max from the No.7 berth for Jamie Pickard was instrumental in securing victory for the Bulls who also had double figure returns from Jack Hargreaves and Tim Webster. Poor Danny Halsey though failed to finish a race falling in all three of his outings!

Nasty crash in heat 4 but thankfully no one hurt and everyone able to walkaway after attention from medics. Nick Simmons top dog for Islanders despite being brought down in that heat 4 crash.

Edited by Bryn