British Speedway Forum
CrystalCastles

Stoke Potters Vs Mildenhall Fen Tigers

I was talking to Mal last night, he was saying that Webster and Pickard as a pair are fantastic. He is worried if Jaimie picks up an injury he'll not get that quality at that average. All the lads are really good with the kids, my son had his photo with Tim, Jaimie and Sarge last night, he is well chuffed !

Michael Lee did say, prior to the start of the season, that the promotion were building a team that could win its home matches, first and foremost, and that is what they have got. Unfortunately, though, going by last night's scores and those at Belle Vue in the previoius away match, it seems it is a side that is always liable to be exposed as lacking in depth away from home, with inconsistency throughout.

It seems to me, though, that the National League this season will be one where most of the teams will win at home consistently, with away points being at even more of a premium than they have been in previous seasons. However, I'm sure that all connected with Mildenhall would like to see them become more competitive away from home.

Yes I am sure that we would, but also, remembering where we were around Feb/March time, lets also be very gratefull that we have a speedway team to support at all. As long as they keep performing at home, thats what brings the supporters in to West Row and therefore the money into the promotion, then next year the promotion can start building their side at the same time as everyone else, and not be playing catch up a few weeks before the season starts.

Edited for spelling errors !

Edited by 2ndbendpostie

I was talking to Mal last night, he was saying that Webster and Pickard as a pair are fantastic. He is worried if Jaimie picks up an injury he'll not get that quality at that average. All the lads are really good with the kids, my son had his photo with Tim, Jaimie and Sarge last night, he is well chuffed !

Timbo was & is almost certainly going to be an 8 pointer this year, good lad is Tim had a lot of time for the fans lastyear down at QM.

And was a heatleader as good as Jonesy & Todd until he went of the boil last year.

Keep it up Tim.

Knew Pickard would be a good signing but he is flying atm, I'd be worried if he gets injured he's been awesome you couldn't replace him.

Edited by shirlmeister general

Whilst I agree with the majority of your post, one very small gripe is how a team that had five of it's team flying could get a score that flattered them is hard to work out. Once the possible threat of Lewis getting seven good rides in(a real threat early on)was gone, there was only going to be one winner. Jamie has been a joy to watch this year and James is going in the right direction in his development. Jack was the rider I remember( good in some; followed by very average rides) and if he had come in on a 5 average; would of been a good shout for Stoke. Will think he will finish with an average a point or so below the one he has now. Brundle had a very strange meeting with his indifferent rides. Impressed with Halsey and Jacobs with loads of effort. Baseby did his average( his pre-meeting warm up routine was most impressive though) and Laurence is not quite ready yet. Ben for Stoke looked fast after the meeting when trying his bike out so not worried there. Gareth has yet to show the rider he can be. The rest of the boys we excellent and deserved their 57-36 win.

Point taken :)

I think it might have been better to suggest that the score did not reflect the meeting - after all there were only 7 points in it after heat 11, and I certainly did not expect Mildenhall to collapse in the way they did, conceding 19 points in the next 4 races. Blackbird had only had one last after all and was clearly going in for Laurence, while Brundle was in two of those races and had seen off Webster pretty convincingly.

I remember remarking that heat 12 would be a Mildenhall 5-1 and, although I am a notoriously poor tipster, that certainly wasn't an unreasonable guess.

Thanks for the updates Halifaxtiger, and thank you all for the reports!

Jamie seems to go from strength to strength, and I doubt if there is a better number 2 in the league at the moment! :D

No worries :)

That Sue is getting cheeky, though. She text me to find out if I'd do it and when I mentioned that I'd be at Coventry on bank holiday Monday she said she'd have me in mind for that, too :o:D;)

Talking about British talent since when did scoring 13 points, winning heats 13 and 15 just become dependable. Poor Webbo who is in fact the Potters top scorer this season,doesnt even get a mention in any press release or post!!

Does rather damn him with faint praise, doesn't it ?

I think I ran out of adjectives :rolleyes:

In truth, it was a very good performance indeed.

Point taken :)

I think it might have been better to suggest that the score did not reflect the meeting - after all there were only 7 points in it after heat 11, and I certainly did not expect Mildenhall to collapse in the way they did, conceding 19 points in the next 4 races. Blackbird had only had one last after all and was clearly going in for Laurence, while Brundle was in two of those races and had seen off Webster pretty convincingly.

I remember remarking that heat 12 would be a Mildenhall 5-1 and, although I am a notoriously poor tipster, that certainly wasn't an unreasonable guess.

Yes the score did not reflect the racing in the meeting and the competitive way that Mildenhall rode. Again Mildenhall were only 10 points...sorry 7 points down ( I do hate that black and white ride)and heat 12 could well of been a 5-1 to Mildenhall with Gareth out of sorts. James had shown me in heat 8 that he could see off Lewis but you are right a bet on 5-1 would of been a clever bet. Just so impressed with the Potters riders this year ,I just could not see them letting the meeting go. Brundle did see off Tim(wonderful pass), but feel Tim was taken by surprise a little. Really enjoying the meetings this year, long may it continue.

Compared to Buxton, the races were close - at least all riders were within seconds of each other across the line. I'm enjoying it too, good racing, good results and good company on the terraces and if the team stay healthy, I think we will be the team to beat.