British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TMW

To Support Or Not To Support

I've started a new topic so as to not hijack a meeting thread

I know this argument has been churned over and over. it is probably right up there with the Aussies in British Speedway

Unfortunatley with a sizeable amount of the 'big boys' being from overseas chances for the young brits are getting less and less. I actually think it is very sad to see Chris Harris the lone Brit in the GP and if Tai goes back in I believe he will go in as an Australian. These boys need the support if they are to get anywhere and that support needs to be for the NL. There are some very exciting prospects coming up who are just making that leap. Howarth Garrity Knight Morris, to name but a few. People will flock to see these boys if they make it to the higher leagues. So why not now?

I have seen a couple of meetings this year and haven't seen any wobblers yet. I know Ryan from Buxton has come in for a little criticism but this time last year Richie Worrall was in the same position infact I think It was this time last year that I saw him in the Novice class at the Stoke Amateur meeting he is now in the PL and notching up a fair few points in league meetings and in individual meetings I do hope Jane and Jack keep the faith to see how he goes on over the season.

It is possible we wont get any answers as the relevant supporters probably don't come on this section of the forum and the people that come already do. The sizeable crowd that Dudley attract and Mildenhall. I think are there to support the relevant clubs not necessarily National League racing. Had Leicester entered in the National League instaed of the premier league they may have just as much support.

Where I have been slightly suprised though is the high level of support who stay to watch second half racing both at Leicester and at Coventry, and I'm sure the lads are extremely greatful for that, and these are all PL EL supporters. There can be some wobblers at these events as that is the whole point so maybe they think that that is the level of racing they will get in the NL. If that is the case then someone needs to put them right.

There doesnt seem to be anything in the way of supporters clubs in the national league some of the stand alones have but the second teams normally tag onto the senior team set up maybe there would be an answer.

Edited by TMW

I've started a new topic so as to not hijack a meeting thread

I know this argument has been churned over and over. it is probably right up there with the Aussies in British Speedway

Unfortunatley with a sizeable amount of the 'big boys' being from overseas chances for the young brits are getting less and less. I actually think it is very sad to see Chris Harris the lone Brit in the GP and if Tai goes back in I believe he will go in as an Australian. These boys need the support if they are to get anywhere and that support needs to be for the NL. There are some very exciting prospects coming up who are just making that leap. Howarth Garrity Knight Morris, to name but a few. People will flock to see these boys if they make it to the higher leagues. So why not now?

I have seen a couple of meetings this year and haven't seen any wobblers yet. I know Ryan from Buxton has come in for a little criticism but this time last year Richie Worrall was in the same position infact I think It was this time last year that I saw him in the Novice class at the Stoke Amateur meeting he is now in the PL and notching up a fair few points in league meetings and in individual meetings I do hope Jane and Jack keep the faith to see how he goes on over the season.

It is possible we wont get any answers as the relevant supporters probably don't come on this section of the forum and the people that come already do. The sizeable crowd that Dudley attract and Mildenhall. I think are there to support the relevant clubs not necessarily National League racing. Had Leicester entered in the National League instaed of the premier league they may have just as much support.

Where I have been slightly suprised though is the high level of support who stay to watch second half racing both at Leicester and at Coventry, and I'm sure the lads are extremely greatful for that, and these are all PL EL supporters. There can be some wobblers at these events as that is the whole point so maybe they think that that is the level of racing they will get in the NL. If that is the case then someone needs to put them right.

There doesnt seem to be anything in the way of supporters clubs in the national league some of the stand alones have but the second teams normally tag onto the senior team set up maybe there would be an answer.

We at buxton try to give chances to new riders but they are very thin on the ground.Being a stand alone club we need to have a team that can win home meetings and also give a good acount on away tripps.Last season we got lucky with riders coming good but they then all moved on except Adam and Rob, lewis retired we tried to get riders to sign but most had better offers from other clubs.We ended up signing riders who have been around a while because there are no english riders yet ready for national league racing.That is a sad fact at of the end of the day supporters want a winning team,it makes no difference what league you are in.

Whilst I understand why the thread this is old ground that has been done to death.

"Wobblers" is perhaps unfair, they are really riders who are in far too early - 1 year later after putting in the effort they will be better prepared and better judged. Well run second halves at tracks is the answer to progression, or indeed acadamies. Any supporter who wants to watch young English riders also have the chance to watch at training schools. Also Southern Track Riders etc.

There are no level playing fields - look at reserves who have the luxury of staying at reserve for most of the season, Garrity, knight this year and there were others last beating heat leaders on a regular basis which makes the "early learners look worse than they are.

Is a matter of personal desires - and finance. Is great to see the youngsters come through, but has to be good entertainment, look at e.g. Rye forum where people a) Can't afford two meetings or B) Want to watch competitive racing and that in the main answers your question.

As a parallel, football is no different most people want to see us produce the next Rooney and Beckham but attendances for Youth / Reserve games - except for the odd clubs - are a mere fraction of first team games.

I would watch NL racing if there was a track nearer to me. I still think the answer is mandated Junior League racing at EL and PL tracks that don't have curfews, with off-dates being used for NL -level challenges like Birmingham are doing.

This has got me thinking about it so much I'm making plans to go to Buxton next month!

This has got me thinking about it so much I'm making plans to go to Buxton next month!

Excellent I hope many more take the plung..... Seriously though. There is always the option of making the NL Amateur like I believe they have in Denmark only the top league gets paid, if my research has not failed me, but then the step up to premier league machinery would be to great for the riders to withstand.

The riders do have to pay heavily to compete in Amateur meetings in Fuel and entry fees so at least the clubs could maybe cover that.

As a parallel, football is no different most people want to see us produce the next Rooney and Beckham but attendances for Youth / Reserve games - except for the odd clubs - are a mere fraction of first team games.

Thats not always the case. http://www.thefa.com/TheFACup/FACompetitions/TheFAYouthCup/Match-Centres-2010-11/Final/First-leg/Post-Match-Reports/colossal-crowd-180511

I wonder how many will be there for the 2nd leg at Old Trafford tomorrow ?

Thats not always the case. http://www.thefa.com/TheFACup/FACompetitions/TheFAYouthCup/Match-Centres-2010-11/Final/First-leg/Post-Match-Reports/colossal-crowd-180511

I wonder how many will be there for the 2nd leg at Old Trafford tomorrow ?

As I said, always the odd one suspect clubs like Man U would get a crowd for the opening of a door. However, maybe more representative?

http://mcfcreservesandacademy.co.uk/everton-home-0708/

Few good names in there too Pro-rata to that Speedway probably stands up quite well.

In the days of 13-heat lge matches the 2nd Halves were usually structured so that a good newcomer had opportunity to show his ability and be tested against team riders.

The winner of the Novice race qulaified for the Junior race;

the winner of that race qualified for the Reserves race;

the winner of that qualified for the 3-ht main 2nd-half comp'n, so it would not be impossible for someone to race against the big boys, (and maybe win.)

That way the team reserves were always kept on their toes and a fast rising junior could prove himself v/v team members and break into the team.

Today's format (of mtgs and of team structure, controlled and frozen by averages) denies a new junior (eg a late convert from another motor sport, say,) a place for a season, during which time he'll only be riding against others of lesser ability and so less likely to develope quickly.

I recommend you go when Belle Vue visit. Garrity is worth the admission money (and the price of a bottle of shampoo to wash the dust out of your hair!) :P

In the days of 13-heat lge matches the 2nd Halves were usually structured so that a good newcomer had opportunity to show his ability and be tested against team riders.

The winner of the Novice race qulaified for the Junior race;

the winner of that race qualified for the Reserves race;

the winner of that qualified for the 3-ht main 2nd-half comp'n, so it would not be impossible for someone to race against the big boys, (and maybe win.)

That way the team reserves were always kept on their toes and a fast rising junior could prove himself v/v team members and break into the team.

Today's format (of mtgs and of team structure, controlled and frozen by averages) denies a new junior (eg a late convert from another motor sport, say,) a place for a season, during which time he'll only be riding against others of lesser ability and so less likely to develope quickly.

Oh those were the days. Bring them back I say. Loved the second half meetings.

I remember back in the early 90s even after a 15 heat programme at Kings Lynn there use to be a 6 heat Junior League. These were very good meetings and gave the youngsters the ideal racing experience to progress. I remember riders like Emmerson Fairweather, Darren Spicer, Roger Horspool and Andy Mountain all rode in these meetings and moved into the main Kings Lynn team afterwards, even if it was only for a few meetings in some cases. Then there was also riders like Tom Grinstead, Martin Cobbin and Lee Fathing (wonder what happened to these boys?)

Oh those were the days. Bring them back I say. Loved the second half meetings.

There is a lot going on in the second half meeting department, good quality 6 heat meetings....... Coventry-Sheffield-leicester-birmingham. I aplogies for any I may have missed out. If you know of anymore you may want to post.

So watch this space.... Rome wasn't built in a day unfortunatley these are not going to yield over night but in a couple of years time who knows.