British Speedway Forum
alan_boon

British Grand Prix, 25/06/11

We enjoyed the live music in the Fanzone

Forgot to mention this, I thought the band were excellent. Enjoyed them far more than I enjoyed Stacey Solomon.

Lol, Holder tried to push Nicki onto the football pitch in the semi and again in the final. Nothing but tough riding from both of them.

I must have been at a meeting in a parallel universe if that's how it happened.

Not that I'm slagging Pedersen, it was a hard first bend, but seeing as the red inside graveyard grid didn't gleam any joy all night, then the option of going hard and high was the only way that it was going to be successful. Without that gameplan, you would have been doomed to last place in such a big race. And it worked. Everyone bunched up and said hi to the fence, Hancock took the gap, Pedersen finished second. A result.. of sorts.

Edited by DukesGreg

Pretty good GP, well done Herbie.

Nice to see Alunski Rossiternov supporting the home riders.

I don't know why but he just looked like some random Emil fan who'd somehow sneaked into the pits, bless him.

His wife told him to check over and take care of his Emails on Saturday. He read it as Emils. Badoom.... tishhh!!

Yes. I'll get me coat!!

I don't know why but he just looked like some random Emil fan who'd somehow sneaked into the pits, bless him.

That's exactly what I thought! At least he got a free hat anyway.

I don't care how it come across on TV, being there Cardiff is just brilliant. As you run up the steps into the seating areas hearing the noise getting louder and louder until you walk in and that noise! WOW! 45,000 fans all cheering and booing. It's just brilliant.

I love it at Cardiff, I think it could all be from the gate but it would still be magical.

Throw in the chance to meet old and new friends. A great day out.

Good point, most of his naff'ness is because he gets OTT trying to flog a dead horse by trying to claim a good race was a superb race, that a boring meeting is a great meeting.. he seems to assume his viewers are blind and not watching TV, he can get away with it on radio, not on TV. Stick to his job of commentating like most other sports commentators and he will only be half as awful as he usually is.

What really upset me this evening is when he shouted 'let the crowd' bring up Chris Harris I think it was when he won, rather than get to hear the air horns and the atmosphere, prattling Pearson ruined it by shouting 'woooooo'.

Watched the GP on TV after getting back from Cardiff last night.Did Pearson have a deal to keep saying the word "sensational".When someone got out of shape, and someone when underneath them "sensational"When Holder won his semi by passing no one he still said it was yes "sensational".Every time speedway is on the box Pearson describes it as "a great night of speedway"when sometimes its not,there seems to be a hard sell going on.The GP was ok for me not "sensational"some passing most up the inside.Its just a bit disappointing to see Gollob and Crump win their first heat(so they are quick)and then lolling around at the back,not making any impression when they missed the gate.I felt last years GP was better.

I don't care how it come across on TV, being there Cardiff is just brilliant. As you run up the steps into the seating areas hearing the noise getting louder and louder until you walk in and that noise! WOW! 45,000 fans all cheering and booing. It's just brilliant.

I love it at Cardiff, I think it could all be from the gate but it would still be magical.

Absolutely spot on, I just don't understand how anyone can complain at the event.

Growing up, I had missed the Wembley days and dreamed of being able to watch speedway in a good stadium in front of a massive passionate crowd. I thoroughly enjoyed it on tv and I will certainly be there again (if its still there) next year.

just got in from cardiff,having read the comments on here i'm looking forward to seeing any mistakes the sky team made,but also

to simply see the meeting again.

nothing beats being there does it,but you always see something different when you watch it on the tv.

as regards the scorecards,i appreciate that the tv team have a lot of things going on in the background and also that sometimes

they are relying on the sgp scores or even ermolenkos software,but i couldn't agree more. i can be sat at home with the

speedway star scorecard or at the meeting with the programme but come the semis i seem to have a better grasp of who's in,who's out

and who has which pick.

the amount of times they'll say next up its aj and you know yourself its not!

overall though i think sky do a good job,after all if it wasn't on sky would we see any live speedway on tv?

Watched the GP on TV after getting back from Cardiff last night.Did Pearson have a deal to keep saying the word "sensational".When someone got out of shape, and someone when underneath them "sensational"When Holder won his semi by passing no one he still said it was yes "sensational".Every time speedway is on the box Pearson describes it as "a great night of speedway"when sometimes its not,there seems to be a hard sell going on.The GP was ok for me not "sensational"some passing most up the inside.Its just a bit disappointing to see Gollob and Crump win their first heat(so they are quick)and then lolling around at the back,not making any impression when they missed the gate.I felt last years GP was better.

So you base it on whether Gollob or Crump can pass?

Failing to remember that BOTH of those were indeed overtaken by others, so by definition they simply weren't quick enough. As for most of the passes up the inside.. hmmm I remember quite a few around the outside. Those up the inside generally because the rider in front was on the outside line!

There were some absolutely fantastic races, just off the top of my head you had Sayfutdinov/Crump, Sayfutdinov/Nicholls, Gollob/Jonsson. There was a heat where Bjerre went from 1st to last and back to 1st again, with riders swapping positions behind him. Lindgren V Harris in the 2 man race was a superb battle. Lindgren/Holder was a great battle till the exclusion too. There were a number of other good races that off the top of my head I can't remember.

I would say the first 5 or 6 races were fairly processional, as tends to be the norm till the track settles down. After that, 1st class entertainment.

Seconded :)

Blimey!

what i should have put was i'm looking forward to watching the gp again and interested in what the commentators say

about the various exclusions but i don't sit there making a mental note of any mistakes or things i don't agree with!!

(although when staechmann said that harris was correctly excluded in copenhagen that was a corker).

Fair comments, totally agreed.

However, I don't know what some of the people on here expect from a speedway meeting.

Once the track had bedded down, there were some great races.

Somebody has complained about passing on the inside... but isn't that good???? Riders were passing after going on the outside, and riders were nipping in to pass on the inside. So.. if there was passing on BOTH inside AND outside... isn't that, in general.. a good track??

People expect GP's and World Finals to have 20 superb races. They don't. I remember Wembley 81 being dubbed as one of the best meetings ever. If you watch the races on youtube, or the dvd... yes... they're good. However, there were 6 or so TOP CLASS TOP DRAWER races last night.. along with some other DECENT ones after the first few heats... and people are still moaning.

With nostalgia (olden days) comes some degree of sugar coating.

Last night was a great night out. I drove 240 miles home with my family, a 480 mile drive in a day, knowing full well that I'll never miss one again.. cash and circumstances permitting.

The racing was good (to deny it is rubbish), the stadium is amazing, the colours are amazing, the crowd numbers creep up every year, the noise is (happily) deafening, the roof is on, the Poles are loud (and really help make the atmosphere great), we had drama and a first bend spill in the final, and, in my opinion, a nice winner.

I'm struggling to find something to grumble about. Rare in itself. :)