British Speedway Forum
greyhoundp

Dudley Heathens

After reading about the furore about the Track at BV, after reading about concerns about the Track at Newport, after seeing for myself protests about the Track at IOW, Now all these concerns were led allegedly by Jon armo Armstrong, who is the current Heathens Captain. I would like to ask what is Will Ps <Team manager> take on this matter ?? Is Will being overidden by armo ??.

I ask this question, as a long standing Heathens fan, as to me it seems all is not right although i ask the question from a distance and not from the point of view of being in the know so to speak, its just an impression i seem to be getting.

Edited by greyhoundp

After reading about the furore about the Track at BV, after reading about concerns about the Track at Newport, after seeing for myself protests about the Track at IOW, Now all these concerns were led allegedly by Jon armo Armstrong, who is the current Heathens Captain. I would like to ask what is Will Ps <Team manager> take on this matter ?? Is Will being overidden by armo ??.

I ask this question, as a long standing Heathens fan, as to me it seems all is not right although i ask the question from a distance and not from the point of view of being in the know so to speak, its just an impression i seem to be getting.

Wasnt the meeting at the IOW called off because of a waterlogged track? Newport the night before the GP was very wet but the riders gave it their all despite the conditions.

jon was superb at kings lynn thats what you get when you get a good track good racing

Spot on :t:

The only problem in the heathens camp is we keep being expected to turn up and race on tracks that are not fit for racing on, Newport all the guys gave it a go but it was really a farce, IOW they gave it every chance but when that last downpour came there was no way the meeting could go ahead, and last night despite what some are saying on here the track was not fit for racing. Armo has been around long enough to know when it is and isnt safe to race, he also knows that the rest of the team are young inexperienced kids and fair play to him for doing his best to look after them.

Spot on :t:

The only problem in the heathens camp is we keep being expected to turn up and race on tracks that are not fit for racing on, Newport all the guys gave it a go but it was really a farce, IOW they gave it every chance but when that last downpour came there was no way the meeting could go ahead, and last night despite what some are saying on here the track was not fit for racing. Armo has been around long enough to know when it is and isnt safe to race, he also knows that the rest of the team are young inexperienced kids and fair play to him for doing his best to look after them.

But surely if the track is deemed by the official as 'fit to ride' then the riders should adapt their racing style to suit the tracks. I know a lots of the riders are youngsters learning their trade and testosterone rush often means they have to be saved from themselves but by giving them the ideal track conditions they want everytime is doing them no favours if they want to progress to top level.

This isn't just the case in this sport it is in all sports, they have to adapt to all conditions at any given time.

I did wonder last night if there was dissent in the ranks with the Heathens management/Captain/riders , can't put my finger on it, there was not 1 specific incident that gave me that impression it was just a general feeling I got.

Just my personal opinion.

But surely if the track is deemed by the official as 'fit to ride' then the riders should adapt their racing style to suit the tracks. I know a lots of the riders are youngsters learning their trade and testosterone rush often means they have to be saved from themselves but by giving them the ideal track conditions they want everytime is doing them no favours if they want to progress to top level.

This isn't just the case in this sport it is in all sports, they have to adapt to all conditions at any given time.

I did wonder last night if there was dissent in the ranks with the Heathens management/Captain/riders , can't put my finger on it, there was not 1 specific incident that gave me that impression it was just a general feeling I got.

If your boss told you it was safe to stick your head in the oven would you? There is a difference between tricky and untraceable conditions, if the riders felt unsafe racing then they are within their rights to not race.

I think that's a really disappointing and pointless post to make.

There is a difference between tricky and untraceable conditions

Do tricky conditions have some very thin paper? :unsure:

I really couldn't disagree with you more I'm afraid. When a captain of a team hurts his leg in a racing incident, then watches on as another 3 of his team mates hurt themselves badly, what would you expect him to do? And as far as "adapting their style to suit the conditions" is concerned, please tell me when the last time you saw a speedway meeting when there were more fallers than there were heats? That track was downright dangerous and the referee can say what he likes - he 'aing got to ride it. And please bear in mind that it wasn't only the Dudley riders that were having trouble. When someone with the track knowledge and experience of Byron Beller falls off twice in the same heat (when there was nobody anywhere near him) you know something isnt right. I have always had the greatest of respect for Byron, and admire the way he gives 100% even when he's guesting, but was that really the way to make a comebcack after his recent injury?

That track on Wednesday was not fit for racing. Who wants to watch 4 riders "adapting their style" and play follow the leader for 4 laps? Who wants to watch a speedway meeting when the question on everybodys mind is "who is going to come to grief next?" I am a die hard Heathens supporter through and through, and want my team to do their very best. But as I have said elsewhere, I dont care that we lost on Wednesday because I care far more about the safety of all 14 riders.

I really couldn't disagree with you more I'm afraid. When a captain of a team hurts his leg in a racing incident, then watches on as another 3 of his team mates hurt themselves badly, what would you expect him to do? And as far as "adapting their style to suit the conditions" is concerned, please tell me when the last time you saw a speedway meeting when there were more fallers than there were heats? That track was downright dangerous and the referee can say what he likes - he 'aing got to ride it. And please bear in mind that it wasn't only the Dudley riders that were having trouble. When someone with the track knowledge and experience of Byron Beller falls off twice in the same heat (when there was nobody anywhere near him) you know something isnt right. I have always had the greatest of respect for Byron, and admire the way he gives 100% even when he's guesting, but was that really the way to make a comebcack after his recent injury?

That track on Wednesday was not fit for racing. Who wants to watch 4 riders "adapting their style" and play follow the leader for 4 laps? Who wants to watch a speedway meeting when the question on everybodys mind is "who is going to come to grief next?" I am a die hard Heathens supporter through and through, and want my team to do their very best. But as I have said elsewhere, I dont care that we lost on Wednesday because I care far more about the safety of all 14 riders.

Thanks for the reply Villiers. As I have said in previous posts I am new to following speedway and, with no pun intended I am trying to get to grips with it all.

I, rightly or wrongly thought that a speedway referee would be experienced enough to make a serious judgement call on whether a track is rideable or not and I did ask in another post if referee match report was for public viewing as I would have been very interested to see what it said.

I wasn't specifically referring to wednesdays meet when I made my reply but as you mentioned it, it was a spectacle I really do not want to ever watch again at any level of the sport.

I was just giving my opinion that the lads need to gain experience on all types of tracks (as long as they are trully rideable and not dangerous)to progress as far as they would wish to.

The feeling I had about if their was any dissent or problems within the team came way before first gate when I was hanging around pit gates, at the time I put it down to pre meet nerves/anticipation but on reflection it seemed something more.

As I said, its just my opinion.

Edited by MrsNiceman

Thanks for the reply Villiers. As I have said in previous posts I am new to following speedway and, with no pun intended I am trying to get to grips with it all.

I, rightly or wrongly thought that a speedway referee would be experienced enough to make a serious judgement call on whether a track is rideable or not and I did ask in another post if referee match report was for public viewing as I would have been very interested to see what it said.

I wasn't specifically referring to wednesdays meet when I made my reply but as you mentioned it, it was a spectacle I really do not want to ever watch again at any level of the sport.

I was just giving my opinion that the lads need to gain experience on all types of tracks (as long as they are trully rideable and not dangerous)to progress as far as they would wish to.

The feeling I had about if their was any dissent or problems within the team came way before first gate when I was hanging around pit gates, at the time I put it down to pre meet nerves/anticipation but on reflection it seemed something more.

As I said, its just my opinion.

Hey - I might disagree, but I wasn't having a go. I do agree with you 100% that the lads need to gain experience riding all manner of tracks, but I think we all agree that nobody wants to see riders put at unnecessary risk, and in my opinion, thats what happened on Wednesday. And I'm sure we'll agree on this too - thank God none of the riders were seriously hurt. Speedway racing is dangerous - we all know that, but although we want to see close and competitive racing, we have to make sure that the riders are in as safe an environment as is possible. Lets hope for better next time eh? The riders AND the fans deserve it. Hope you can make it to see the Heathens at Wolverhampton some time - regardless of what you may read, you will be given a warm welcome.